1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD problem or Navigation problem or another problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by johnhnhn, Jun 28, 2022.

1. johnhnhn

johnhnhn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have seen this problem and pictures of it posted both here and on Lexus forums. But with no definite fix, just a lot of non working suggestions. My car is a 2006 with navigation. The MFD works normally except my map. The three buttons on the right side (Menu, Dest, & Map) along with the steering wheel map button will all bring up either a black screen or this screen with the vertical lines. The problem seems to be present all the time. The 12 volt battery is good and I have tried disconnecting it to reset the computers with no change in the problems. The question that I have is: should I remove my MFD and send it in to be serviced? Or is my problem caused by something else?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So far every time I've thought about getting one of these service I run into a car just like mine at LKQ and I take the MFD plug it up into my car and all of it works but on my own nine I think mine has the long plug my 06 has the two or three shorter plugs I do believe that's right I have to go and look at the one I have off for the 09 it's no good and I'm not planning on having it repaired I believe they have the long plug the 06 will not even plug up to the 09 so you can't even think about it working so when I see an 0709 and the MFD looks in real good shape I grab it.

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any chance something’s bumped the Nav box under the drivers seat? Have you unloaded and then reinstalled the dvd?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would say this is more likely a NAV box or CD issue.
    Are you the original owner of the car or do you know the exact history of the MFD?
    Is this the original MFD? If not, has the NAV ever functioned with this MFD prior to this 'failure'?

5. johnhnhn

johnhnhn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am the original owner of the car. The MFD & navigation units are the originals and have never been removed. I have updated the navigation DVD several times over the years. I was really hoping that someone who has faced this exact same problem and solved it would have a solution. This same exact problem and identical pictures of this screen have been posted here & on Lexus forums, but with no resolution.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did any of those posters try to replace the Nav unit? I had one on the shelf for 3 years until about a month ago and sold it for $50. Was happy to get the shelf space back, it almost went to the dump. There's always a chance of finding one in a salvage yard or ebay. There's very little demand for them, so I would imagine the price would be low.

7. johnhnhn

johnhnhn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No one replaced it, or at least posted that they did. Just suggestions to check the DVD, cables, check the 12 V battery, replace MFD, replace navigation unit, & reboot it by disconnecting the 12 V battery. But no follow up as to what if anything fixed the problem.

8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If replacing the MFD seemed to fix it in that particular case, maybe it was the unplugging and replugging the cables the fixed it and not changing the MFD itself?

10. johnhnhn

johnhnhn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I saw that post. It was a little confusing as two people responded after that post saying that that was hard to believe that the MFD fixed it and that they suspected the navigation unit instead.