1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MG1 and MG2 temps too high?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by novasquid, Apr 2, 2013.

1. novasquid

novasquid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My C4 currently has around 1500 miles on it and during a drive over the weekend of sustained driving over 65mph over hilly terrain I noticed my MG2 temps reaching 200F. Several times it exceeded 200F.

I'm using an iPhone app called Engine Link to pull the temp info. Does anyone with a ScanGauge notice similar high MG2 temps during sustained speeds over 65mph?

From reading this board, my understanding is that ideally the temps should be ICE coolant > MG1 > MG2. But during sustained freeway driving mine actually is more like MG2 > MG1 > ICE.

Once back into the city with traffic, it went back to ICE > MG1 > MG2.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

As a general rule of thumb, higher temperatures rapidly shorten the life of windings in motors:
    Source: Why Motors Fail: Part 1 | Franklin AID

Heat is the enemy but there was a major change in the "Prius c" transmission cooling from the earlier models. The "Prius c" does not pass the inverter coolant through channels in the case to a coolant radiator. Instead it uses the transmission fluid, Type WS, as the primary internal heat transfer fluid and convection and radiant cooling.

Let me suggest searching for some of the earlier work on "transmission oil" or "transmission fluid" testing. You may want to do an early change and send the 'in service' sample along with a 'virgin sample' to an oil testing service. I use R&G Labs and their advice is a 15% loss in viscosity means the oil has reached the end of its life. This can also give a clue to what is going on.

My testing data, ~30 samples, suggests:
    1. 5,000 mile early service change - removes the early left-over manufacturing debris and sealant leached material . . . all Prius.
    2. Based upon the viscosity change - use an increasing interval of transmission oil change until a steady-state condition is reached. For the 2001-03 Prius, about every 30k miles. For the 2004-09, about 60-90k miles. I don't have a rate for our 2010-current, Prius hatchback, it just went over 38,000 miles so we don't have enough data to predict.
    Based upon the change in the 'Prius c' transmission cooling design, I would recommend start a study and find out. My impression is the 'Prius c' might be a better urban than highway ride BUT I don't have one to test.

Other Prius we often use a 'radiator inlet block' to reduce cooling losses at temperatures under 70F. However, it may be the 'Prius c' could benefit from increased cooling airflow at highway speeds in warm weather.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

3. novasquid

novasquid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might want to experiment with hill-climb speeds. Many years ago I conducted a number of 'hill climb' tests at different speeds up an 8% grade. What I found is 55 mph was an optimum climb speed and matched the speed of heavily loaded, semi-trailer trucks often found in the truck lane.

So my practice is to use a moving van as a pacing vehicle on cross country trips. I keep plenty of space, no drafting, so I can steer around road debris. This approach gives pretty good, highway mileage and keeps the engine and transmission 'in the green.' As for time lost, well it depends upon how long the trip. If a typical DC area commute, it may only be minutes . . . not counting the non-linear, traffic effects.

I do recommend doing an early study of the transaxle oil wear characteristics. The 'Prius c' is new and the time to ask is when it is new, not later when other symptoms might show up. R&G Labs charges me ~$20 but be sure to ask for the 40C and 100C viscosity tests that give a clue to what is going on to the lubrication characteristics.

Bob Wilson

5. novasquid

novasquid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    i have some oil test kits from blackstone ready to be filled, and plan to submit the first oil change for analysis at the 2500 mile mark. i plan to change the transmission oil earlier too, to see how it looks. oil is cheap.

i'm still confused by the high MG2 and MG1 temp numbers though. i suppose i'd be more at ease if others chimed in with similar numbers.

6. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In general the MG temps on the 2010 start at ambient then take maybe 2-3 hours of driving to get up to the engine block temp. How do you like the Engine link? What type of unit does it feed from? Thanks. Ted

7. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    200 degrees F is nothing.............Your not even to the boiling point of water...Engine cooling temps exceed 200

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The coolant thermostat engages at around 210 on the PC.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am not sure of the differences between the 2010 Liftback and the c but the repair manual shows the high temperature alarms for the 2010 Liftback MG1 and 2 to be 320 and 334F. This is mighty high to me. On my daily commute I typically see these temperatures in the 160 to 180F range. Of course this is on relatively flat terrain.

Also the thermostat on the 2010 is 195F.

10. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm basing my experience on my torque app and a bluetooth obd2 sensor.

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anything over 200F on the Liftback is considered above normal. 210F would be considered hot.

12. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I've read that the inverter/transaxle cooling loop doesn't have a thermostat. Quoting engine thermostat values is irrelevant.

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When did you make this observation?

I.e. had you been driving under high load (uphill), grille block, after 10min of driving vs. 2hrs of driving, ambient temps etc..

14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sitting at a stoplight waiting on it to turn green. Got up to 210 and then suddenly started dropping down to about 180 as if the thermostat had opened. It acted the same way as all my other cars except that I couldn't hear the fan kick on like I could in the older cars.

15. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure about the app you're using, but we have a factory scan tool, and the temps you're seeing are perfectly normal. Rest assured that it'll let you know if something's amiss.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since 2010, our Prius engines use an electric water pump. It is likely the latent engine heat triggered the control computer to start the pump which is why the temperature dropped.

Bob Wilson

17. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    The C's transmission shares no coolant with the engine or the inverter systems. It's "stand alone".

18. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I wasn't saying it was an issue, just noting my observations.

19. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But this is the transaxle/inverter loop. I vote it was the cooling fan kicking in.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well I'll defer to those with the car. The SAE paper discussed how there are no inverter coolant channels to the transaxle and only air cooling is used. It makes sense one (or more) of the radiator fans is designed to force cooling air against the transaxle. The report of:
    This "suddenly started dropping" suggested monitoring engine coolant which the electric engine coolant pump can engage without having to turn on a radiator fan. But this is a new Prius model and a previously unknown cooling fan for the transaxle could be exceptionally quiet.

BTW, I can initiate a similar drop in ICE coolant temperature in our 2003 Prius with the engine off by turning on the cabin heater. The heater loop has an electric pump that passes the coolant through the engine block. In seconds, the engine coolant temperature can show a 3-5C drop, consistent with the user's reported temperature change.

I remain curious about the Prius c transaxle temperatures as it uses a new approach to cooling. This is likely to show up in future Prius but I only have the SAE paper describing the changes. A better set of sources:
    • New Car Features
    • Maintenance Manuals
    Not owning a Prius c, perhaps others have them?

Bob Wilson