1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MiniVIC . . . may have a problem

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 27, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The 'miniVCI' arrived yesterday and I started testing:
    1. Software installed OK
    2. Techstream reports: no CAN and no L or K signals
    I've sent a note to the seller and we'll figure out what next. Right now, the symptoms are consistent with a failed or failing miniVCI unit.

Bob Wilson

2. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I had a good hour of testing with my wife's ZVW30:
    • Auto-discover worked - does not work with NHW11
    • Initially all ECUs showed up "ECU status unknown"
    • AFTER communication bus check, ". . . communicating on the CAN BUS"
    • "Data List" works!
    • Three 'wink out' where TechStream just 'went away' without an error code
    • Two mini-VCI 'hangs' with with "Error (S999.99)" that "Retry" worked
    • On ZVW30, "Cable Check" reports "CAN" working and "K and L" not working
    • Able to graph coolant temperature after turning on cabin heat
    • Mini-VCI was very difficult to remove . . . took a lot of wiggling to get it out
    I am in communication with the seller. We'll see what happens. I also have my OBD pig-tail to test in the NHW11.

Bob Wilson

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a good start for a thread for all us Mini-VIC buyers. Hopefully others who bought a Mini-VIC on ebay for ~$30 can share their experiences here... Unless of course someone has a link to a better thread for this?

4. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    AFAIK, there are 2 versions of Mini VCI; firmware ver. 2.0.1 and 1.4.1. I got the former 2 yrs ago which has support for K and L and the latter does not. It looks like you've got the latter, same as what ccdisce has in this link. It is not faulty, just some components are missing for the K line.

Vincent

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I got a new driver zip file and it appears to have solved the "K" line problem. TechStream automatically recognized the 2003 Prius. I still have to retest with my wife's 2010 Prius before we call it solved . . . as far as the OBD interface.

I did look at some saved data this morning and it is 'good news' and 'bad news':
    • saved all data columns for a controller - I only wanted a smaller number.
    • ~2 seconds between samples - because of the large number of data points, the polling interval is pretty coarse
    • it makes a ".csv" file but it is tab delimited - renaming to ".txt" allowed selecting <TAB> as a delimiter
    So it appears to be working better to the extent I've been able to test.

Bob Wilson

vincent1449p likes this.
  6. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    You can use the Data List Manager to build your own custom list, just select those you want to monitor.

Vincent

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The MiniVCI's from Ebay are not always Plug N play, especially with the "Chinglish" installation instructions and little or no support from the sellers. You have to mess around a bit to get things to work properly, but if you're computer savvy (or can post questions on PriusChat) you'll get it working.

8. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what to make here. How do you find a mini vic? I found mini VCI . Is that similar ?

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I usually misspell words consistently. I've fixed the originals.

Bob Wilson

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  10. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like this one?

11. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So mini vci is arm microcontroller , elm 327 is microchip pic microcontroller is that a fair statement?

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A USB debug systems might capture the OBD CMD-RES from the TechStream. This might lead to definition files for ScangaugeII or the other, open source, diagnostic systems.

Bob Wilson

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well it is 'less bad':
    • the download was version 1.4 - stable, it didn't wink out
    • works with 2003 Prius (ISO9141) - auto recognized the car and normal functions are there.
    • half works with the 2010 Prius (CANbus) - the hybrid ECU is great including reading the battery modules. However, it would not display any engine ECU metrics.
    I tried Mr. Google to see if I could find 2.01 but too many 'close calls' to try that again. I did find and download "mini-vci-v7" and will test it tomorrow. A ratty network connection required going to a favorite bar to download.

Fortunately, all of this is Windows XP software running under Virtual PC. I have a source master and a copy that I use for 'new software'. Call it my personal 'honey pot'. <grins>

I would not call this 'mission ready' software. Too many dark corners to risk a business. However, for a home experimenter willing to buy salvage stuff . . . you gets what you pay for.

Bob Wilson

14. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scangauge 2 aka SG2 is a microchip pic microcontroller 18F4520

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    MINI-VCI - currently stuck at version 1.4.1. I've been able to find multiple copies of the updater program, 1.4.8, but it can no long reach the internet download site with a more recent version. Vincent found a reference that "X-Horse" has "Sorry, we have to stop MVCI product upgrades, because now China is already selling a lot of MVCI CLONE,". (Aug 26, 2011.)

MINI-VCI with 1.4.1 works so far with the NHW11. However, it only partially works with the ZVW30 as the engine ECU data can not be read. It does read the Hybrid ECU that now incorporates the interface to the battery ECU functions. It does support setting different default options. But without the engine ECU, it leaves a lot to be desired. Untested, I haven't tried the 'generic' OBD option that might give some engine metrics.

I continue to work with the Mini-VCI seller and a second site that also sells a similar Mini-VCI and claims to be the official X-Horse retail site. However, I suspect upgrading to a more recent firmware version may not be possible. X-Horse appears to have developed the product but in response to 'clone' sales, X-Horse turned off updates and the "*.mfu" update file does not seem to be 'in the wild.'

Bob Wilson

16. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    any suggestion on modding or hackin the 3 1/2 x 1 1/2 LCD 4pin header connected via flat ribbon on the SG2. All the LCD I can find are way larger like 8 x2 but still two line character.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I opened the ScanGaugeII case, I found the pins that are probably used to download the control software. In theory, one might be able to dump and reverse engineer the control software using a debugging tool for the microprocessor. This might lead to a 'data recording' ScanGauge. But this begs the question of whether it is worth the effort except to get the vendor to 'do the right thing' and open up the interface.

Having seen what X-Horse did, code-crack TechStream, only to have their mini-VCI interface cloned by another set of code-crackers . . . it doesn't make a lot of sense to 'hack' a ScanGauge . . . a lot of work for little good.

My thinking is one of the OpenSource efforts might make more sense. Working to get the source code integrated with one or more OBD interfaces and a 'universal' OBD protocol interpreter . . . this makes a lot of sense. Like the Linux model, it soon becomes unstoppable and supports world-wide, inter-generational, group improvements.

I fully appreciate the labor X-Horse took to hack TechStream but don't have a lot of sympathy for their response when another group hacked their Mini-VCI. You know, 'honor among . . . ' It is one reason I held off on buying and testing Mini-VCI. Well when one 'walks on the dark side.'

Bob Wilson

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I got the following reply:
    Source: e-mail
    So I ordered one of theirs, $34. Once it arrives, I'll see if it fixes the last known problem.

Bob Wilson

19. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet the "version 7.1" refers to the cracked version of Techstream they supply you with...not the hardware

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For $34 I will find out. They have a seven day return policy and they know I have concerns.

Bob Wilson