1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More "Check hybrid system. Stop the vehicle in a safe place." alerts

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by MyCarIsBlue, Nov 10, 2014.

1. MyCarIsBlue

MyCarIsBlue New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    New 2015 PIP, got it 2 months ago, and it drove fine till Thursday, when this message came up. I believe I first got a "Charge interrupted due to malfunction" and then the dreaded "Check Hybrid System, Stop the vehicle in a safe place." alert with all the engine lights on.

Took it to the dealer and they charge it up, cleared the message, and gave it back. They told me it was because I shared the car's outlet with something else, and then threatened to charge me money if I came back because it was my fault. Took it home, charged it exactly the way they told me to, and this morning the error message came back up. Going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow.

I saw another thread compiling all these problems so I'm also going to look there. But hope to get my voice out to see if others can find out what's wrong.

2. MyCarIsBlue

MyCarIsBlue New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I should add that the tech wrote down that it was error code POP67.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This car is under warranty, I would take it back to them to fix, and while you are there you should probably file a complaint about your last service adviser and the bad service you got.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! agreed ^ and read through the threads here, make sure your timer isn't set and print out pertinent threads to show dealer. all the best!(y)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We had a CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM warning too, about a month back. Took it in: apparently the car lost track of a traction control sensor or something. They didn't come to any definite conclusion, dismissed the message and codes. And I was charged for the diagnostic, $70.

Considering the "hybrid system" is warrantied for a long stretch, why these charges?

(I talked to the service manager, and we've agreed to half the charge, I've got a credit I can use for parts. Still...)

6. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    At least they're creative. Did you blow a breaker? The car only pulls 13 amps, you should have at least a 15 amp breaker, no reason it can't share the other 2 or more amps with your toaster or something.

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Dealers typically will charge for "diagnostics", since they are using their time to check your vehicle. Fair or not, they are running a business...
    As for the traction control sensor, it is not considered part of the "hybrid system."

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You shouldn't be charged a diagnostics charge if the vehicle is still under warranty and there's a code in memory.

rxlawdude and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My beef, the message says "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM". In my books that means there's an issue with the hybrid system, lol.

Tracksyde and rxlawdude like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so how long is it going to take to get the new charger?

11. CV__

CV__ New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had the same message earlier this week with the same sequence of events. Took it in for repair, they returned it claiming a fix and next morning the same thing. Dealer thinks they know what it is and ask that I keep the car until they can order the part that they need to replace. I get the sense that they are stalling and have no clue what is going on and are trying to find out.

12. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Toyota has had a bad batch of chargers in the 2015 plugins, It is located under the HV traction battery.
    If you avoid plugging in, you can drive your car until the part comes in with no ill effect.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they should be giving you a free loaner car an d keeping yours at toyota's expense.

14. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which dealer told you this? SF Toyota?

15. Dennis Chamberlin

Dennis Chamberlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also have "Stop car in a safe place. Check Hybrid System". Also, a Check Engine light. I opened the hood and checked fluids. Car started normally.
    Car is new 2015 PIP with 5,000 miles. I called two dealers, and they both said to have the car towed in under warranty (a 37 mile trip.) Dealer read the code, cleared the code and found nothing wrong. No charge.

However, it cost me a day. It is hard for me to accept that a warning light with no other symptoms actually means that I have to stop where I am and get a tow. Even if it is a false alarm, this is nearly as bad as an actual breakdown.

Theoretical question: If there are no other symptoms, e.g., rough running, poor mileage, leaking fluid, smoke, etc. is there reason to believe I will do serious harm if I were to continue with the car and drive it to a dealer, say, next day?

Car goes in for dealer check tomorrow, as I again have this message.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, there sure are a lot of 2015 pip owners who come here to complain and never come back.:rolleyes:

rxlawdude likes this.
  17. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We all want to know what the code that the dealer cleared was. It might be on your paperwork from the dealer visit. Make sure you get the code and please post it for the PriusChat comunity. We will inturn hypothesize most every meaning and cause it could have/be.

We have been seeing some 2015 PiPs with bad on-board traction battery chargers that needed replacing.

18. Dennis Chamberlin

Dennis Chamberlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I dug out the service paper and I think it says the code is POD67. Full text is:

"Checked computer codes had POD67 Veh. charger as per Toyota Repairs. Clear codes and charge car. Car did go to a full charge and codes never came back on. No other needed at this time."

19. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and a few thought it was one time, until they got it again and had to have the charger replaced.