1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More problem's with my new Prime - Leaking rear hatch window :( *update 1.30.17*

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by thatoneraccoon, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Signs of the leak were found before the car wash.

thatoneraccoon likes this.
  2. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The pressure washers at most car washes are not set to a high enough pressure level that they should be able to break the seal around any window or glass area. If they are you should definitely not go to that car wash as it is also powerful enough to break the paint seal in already weak areas and thus cause rust spots on the vehicle. The fact that the original poster said that they had suspicions of an issue before using the carwash as a way to force a rain like situation certainly makes it fairly clear that this is a problem with this particular vehicle. That said, I doubt that we will see many of these, it is somewhat likely that there was a bad seal around the window, and if that is the case if the window can be safely removed, it is possible it can be reinstalled without replacement with a new seal. The real issue is pulling glass off the seal often cracks it so they will need to make sure they can source a replacement. Given the unusual design of this glass, it may be in short supply at this time and would have to be sourced from Toyota.

3. thatoneraccoon

thatoneraccoon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    **Update 7-28-17**

I got my Prime back today! :)
    They Did a good job by the looks of things and looks better than how I got it new. They said it was finished yesterday but needed to sit inside for 24 hours after being resealed. So I want to give it a few more days to set up some more for good measure before I go and run it though a car wash. However ill do it here in a few days and take video in case anything weird happens.

I'mJp, giora, huskers and 3 others like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When we got glass repaired one time, the guy said to leave another window slightly cracked when closing up, to avoid air pressure stressing the newly bonded glass, say for the next 24 hours. Not sure how relevant that is, but doesn't hurt.

WilDavis and thatoneraccoon like this.
  6. thatoneraccoon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    oh wow, the drivers window was down when I picked up the car and thought that was weird. but yes, that does make since. Thanks for sharing that bit of info, cant hurt to be to go that extra mile :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If they didn't say anything to you, it's probably because just an hour or two is critical. But yeah, doesn't hurt.

8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You've just jogged my memory, and I remember way back (at least 20 years ago) when I still had my 1983 Corolla DX Wagon, I'd spent 8 weeks working in NZ and Australia during Jan and Feb of a particularly cold winter and during the entire 8 weeks, my car had sat outside getting very cold. After my return, the first time I got in the car, I started the engine, and cleared the snow from the car while waiting for the car to warm up. My BIG MISTAKE was to have the air blowing full force on to the windshield, for after about 30 seconds there was a CRACK! and there directly about the screen vents two horizontal cracks had appeared, and continued to grow, end even joined together as I was watching! I remember being warned by the glass replacement technician to leave the windows cracked open to avoid the pressure problem.

9. thatoneraccoon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    **Update 7-27-17**

Well, I took the Prime through the car wash today, good news no water leaks that I could see! So that makes me pretty happy. However I did see the lower panel pretty far out from the glass. I am not sure if this is just how it is on the Prime or if they still did not get it put back together correctly. I can stick my fingers in between the plastic and the glass the gap is so big. I have taken some pictures, ill post it up here. maybe one of these other wonderful Prime owner can take a look at theirs and see if its just that big of a gap or if there is something wrong with mine. Ok, next thing I noticed. The handles got installed backwards :(
    Another strange problem. Sometimes theres a vibration like maybe the wheel balance is out. I had them check it out while it was in the shop. they checked the tires and all is good. I drove it home and it was all good. However today driving on the freeway, the vibration is back. and something else I noticed is that it seems to get worse if I turn to the right and its not as bad if im turning to the left. o_O
    im starting to worry my Prime really does have a curse, or something.. Brand new and less than 1500 miles and ive had more problems with my Prime than I have had with my 2014 Volt I bought new and had 3 years and 32k miles or my 2008 Prius and 100k miles. what the actual fork! o_O

Attached Files:

10. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    I'll be surprised if that panel is installed correctly.

Looking forward to an answer, or you could just go down to the dealership ...

Bluegrassman and thatoneraccoon like this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And find the empty parking spot where their last Prime was sold.

Bob Wilson

12. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    You may be right, but cars.com thinks that a Prime is sitting at 'Buckeye Toyota.'

13. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Keep taking it back until it is fixed. You are under warranty. Ask them what they would do if they put out that kind of money and was not satisfied? The tire problem could be a safety situation. Take one of the Toyota service guys out with you on the road to see/feel it for himself.

#93 huskers, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  14. thatoneraccoon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Buckeye Toyota is about 35 minutes away, maybe ill call them and if its there I just may show up.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps I missed something:
    • The water leak is fixed?
    • The current problem is a 'gap'?
    Bob Wilson

16. thatoneraccoon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Water Leak is indeed fixed.
    There is the gap problem
    The handles to close the hatch back were reinstalled backwards after getting it back.
    The vibration with the tires, or something.

bwilson4web likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks,
    MAJOR - Water leak because that risks cargo, interior, and body.

COSMETIC - the gap may impact future sale price of the car. I tend to see gap and finish as a manufacturing problem and in this case, the local service department and/or the Toyota repair instructions.

REPAIR SUPPORT - the hatch handles may have been installed following the Toyota repair instructions or reversed the technician. Interesting, investigation of the repair instructions may be warranted. I'm OK with taking it back but it would help what is the impact of the handles mismounted?

IMPORTANT - this is curious and worth further investigation. I would probably start with a "Life-time" alignment service and have the initial alignment checked. What I'll do on Saturday with our new Prius Prime Plus. I'll ask for some photos under the car with emphasis on the tie-down points.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

18. thatoneraccoon

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thank you for all the info and help so far Bob :)
    I think I remember reading a post somewhere, where you talked about life time alignment. Thats not too bad of an idea and they are expensive. But I dont remember where it was you were able to get the life time alignment? and how much does it run?

19. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Take a Toyota service guy out for a ride to see/feel the tire issue. That is important to get taken care of asap.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It looks to be $190. But Firestone does not list the Prime, yet.

Bob Wilson