1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mouse nesting locations in the Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Salamander_King, May 8, 2022.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That looks diabolical, pghyndman! :eek:

2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I wonder it would repel the mice if you put some dirty cat litter under the hood.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I currently have a large (rat size) glue trap (six of them) in my garage. Checking it daily but have not caught any in the last 5 days. I had two set up before, and caught 5 in one trap in a few days, another one was empty but had signs that some other larger animal has got stuck and escaped. I ordered a 5 gal bucket mice trap reviewed as the world's best mouse trap. Haven't got it yet, but when it comes in I will see how effective it is.

4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Those glue traps are even more diabolical. :eek: They have been banned in the UK.

5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is another photo showing where the nest was located. It is directly under the inverter assembly, but still not exactly sure what part it is on. I don't think there is any damage to the wire or anything else, so I am not going to disassemble anything. But without removing the inverter unit, I really can't clean and sanitize the site the nest material was placed. Also, it is at the location where physically blocking the entry is almost impossible without first disassembling the inverter. The smell and remnants of previous nesting material may attract the new mice to come back to the same location.

upload_2022-5-9_21-35-5.png

Gokhan likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't tried it yet, but the predator scent has not shown to be effective in deterring mice. In general, no smell-based repellents have been shown to be effective.

Yeah, it is probably the most inhumane way of trapping and killing mice. Also, it is not advised by many due to possible contact with infectious materials (droppings and urine). And, it is rather expensive since it can not be reused. I am hopeful that the bucket trap will work better.

jerrymildred and Gokhan like this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like your traps have eliminated them from the garage, if I read the earlier posts right. That's about all you can hope for on the eradication end of it. As you said, you're in the middle of their environment like we were in Ohio. As for keeping them out of the car when it's outside, I'll be interested in your discoveries as you continue your research.

BTW, I was a little surprised at how many used cars I've processed already in my part time job that had mouse nests in them given that we've never had a mouse problem since we left Ohio in 1994. Some of them even had holes where the mice had eaten through the plastic and, in some cases, just nibbled on stuff like the covers on the seat mounting hardware.

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, eventually, the hope is to clean up the garage and rodent-proof it by closing all potential entry points and finally liberating it to use it for CARS. But, before we can do that, we have to first construct a "real" barn in the backyard to move our "mini-farm" equipment and stuff. Once in a secured garage, it will have much less chance to have mouse invasion into a car, I think. But this is such a huge project, I am not likely to finish it anytime soon.

In a meantime, cars have to be parked outside, and I have to come up with a way to protect them from curious mouse explorers. If I continue to see occasional mouse visitors into the engine bay, then I may have to try the BoxKat Rodent & Mouse Barriers I mentioned in my comment #1.

Yeah, they are vermins, but they are highly adaptable and smart animals. Collectively about 40% of all mammal species are rodents. And mice collectively account for most of the species in the Order Rodentia. They did not become the most populous and thus successful mammals in the world by chance alone.

upload_2022-5-10_8-32-50.png

#28 Salamander_King, May 10, 2022
    Last edited: May 10, 2022
    jerrymildred likes this.
  9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know about feral vs pets. Nor do I know about mice vs rats. But we had an indoor cat that insisted on going outdoors a lot, especially at night.
    So we let it do this after we moved into a new house long ago. We planted a garden and discovered we had a magical green thumb.
    Everything we planted grew (corn, green beans, cantaloupe , strawberries by the bucket, tomatoes, etc etc.) This went on for 10-12 years.
    The cat got old and died. Within a year nothing much was growing and all the neighbors started getting exterminators due to the large rat/mice population. We had to stop the planting because they were just eating everything just before we'd pick it and they multiplied like crazy. ~4 years went by and we'd now see rats running across the fence frequently. Lots of traps, but only killed a few.
    Then a feral cat showed up and we started lightly feeding it to keep it around and it pretty much takes care of the rats -- haven't seen one (other than half eaten) in years. But we stopped the garden.

Mike

PianoBench and jerrymildred like this.
  10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In a previous post I talked about our rat-killer cat. We now have another. But it the gap years between them I tried a dozen rat/mice control methods. Too long to post everything. But the rats dug a home under a concrete patio. In a few hours one day they excavated enough dirt to fill ~3 five gallon buckets. I tried numerous things to get rid of them. About the 6th attempt was to fill the entrance with used cat litter. Worked for a few days. Then they were smart enough to notice the cat smell decaying (I guess) and they just dug around this and continued their havoc.

What finally worked, after over a year, was to put fine chicken wire on every dirt surface near their home so they couldn't dig. Not going to work for a car :(

Mike

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For small rodents, population dynamics is a well-known phenomenon. Lemings and voles are both known to show cyclical population fluctuation. Other small rodents also show less regular population fluctuation. I am sure that the predator population would play a role in this. It is possible that after years of TNR efforts, our feral cat population has started to decline. That may have caused the increase in the mice population around our home and mouse infestation in our vehicle for the first time in my life.

Also, it is quite possible that the increased mouse population may be caused by some other anthropogenic ecological imbalances, such as climate change, deforestation, and developments leading to the loss of larger predators.

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a list of references I have found on the Peromyscus maniculatus repellent so far.

Only effective in eating (not volatile form)
    anthraquinone Repellent application strategy for wild rodents and cottontail rabbits - ScienceDirect

D-Pulegone
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01245967

elaiosomes of Corydalis aurea (Fumariaceae)
    https://bsapubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/j.1537-2197.1985.tb08442.x

Ortho-aminoacetophenone
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9063(199601)46:1%3C55::AID-PS313%3E3.0.CO;2-%23

Mestranol
    https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/vpc6/29/?a_aid=3598aabf

thiram (0.31, 1.25%), methiocarb (0.031, 0.5%)
    https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/ewdcc2/29/

Siberian pine needle oil
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/3802433

endrin (no longer produced pesticide with environmental harm)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endrin#:~:text=In%20the%20environment%20endrin%20exists,the%20compound%2C%20or%20skin%20contact.

alpha-naphthylthiourea (ANTU)
    Alpha-naphthylthiourea as a conditioning repellent for protecting conifer seed

May show some repellent properties
    CHF, manufactured by Coolworks BV, is a pelleted, composted
    1:1 mixture of mink/fox manure and peat.
    https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1032&context=birdstrike2008

Orthoaminoaceto-phenone (avian repellent)
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00994315

Not effective
    MAMMALIAN PHEROMONES
    https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1443&context=wdmconference

predator odors
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01022552

predator scent
    https://underc.nd.edu/assets/174555/fullsize/nickels_underc_west_2013.pdf

weasel odors
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02059606

R55 and many other compounds tested
    https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=JUtaDwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT421&dq=Peromyscus+maniculatus+repellent&ots=ydBIAy1Dh1&sig=hApzcxCMwSZDZ8JOJOeeBsIxad0#v=onepage&q=Peromyscus%20maniculatus%20repellent&f=false

ultrasonic rodent repellent devices
    Efficacy test protocols for evaluation of ultrasonic rodent repellent devices

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, it has been 20 days since my first discovery of the mouse nesting under the hood. Today, I am still seeing evidence of mouse activity (droppings) in the engine bay. It rained all day yesterday, so I kept the hood closed all day and all night for a full day and a half. Now I see the return of a mouse (or mice), despite the fact that the mouse traps were set, all repellents so far tried are still being used.

upload_2022-5-16_10-34-48.png

As a report of the 5 gal mouse trap I purchased from Amazon, it turned out what I bought is a cheap Chinese fake, not the original design made in the USA by Rinne. Not surprisingly, the cheap fake trap has not caught a single mouse as of today after 5 full days. I ordered the authentic Rinne trap, and now waiting for it to be delivered. Here is the video showing the difference between the authentic one and the fake.
    The World's Best Mouse Trap Vs. A Copycat From China... - YouTub

#33 Salamander_King, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was amazing! And it looks like he has a serious mouse infestation. :eek:

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Amazon same day delivered our bucket trap, will try setting it up in crawl space, where we had infestation.

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #37 Salamander_King, May 17, 2022
    Last edited: May 17, 2022
    jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hopefully don't have any customers. But boy we did, about 6 months back, so I'll set it up (the made in USA Rinne) in the prime trouble zone (crawl space).

jerrymildred and Salamander_King like this.
  19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's very hard to know what the population dynamic of rodents on our property is. There is no study done on the subject in our immediate region. I have always seen some rodent activities in the woods and chicken coop which is further away from our home and garage, but that is their native habitat. I am pretty sure that the infestation problem has spread to our garage (aka barn) and maybe to our house recently in the last year or two.

But I am not catching any more mice in the garage with traps after 5 mice were caught in the first 2 to 3 days. I really don't think they are all gone. Maybe they adapt very quickly to traps, and now the remaining mice are totally avoiding the traps.

In any case, I saw a sign of mouse activity (dropping) again this morning in the engine bay of my PP. I think I will have to move to the next phase. Repellent did not work, traps did not work, and now the last thing I have not tried yet is using the rodent barrier fence. I am going to order this. https://www.miceout.com/pages/why-boxkat

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I set up cheap Chinese fake one and made in the USA by Rinne authentic one side-by-side in storage shed where I have seen signs of heavy mice infestation.

upload_2022-5-18_14-11-42.png

Just overnight. I caught 1 mouse in the authentic Rinne trap. None in the Chinese copycat trap.
    upload_2022-5-18_14-14-53.png

Catch and release, I took the mouse way back into the woods where it belongs.