1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG as a Function of Highway Speed

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jonas Studebaker, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Jonas Studebaker

Jonas Studebaker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Had an interesting experiment today. Driving north on I-95 when the elements began to change from rain to snow. For about an hour I had the chance to (needed to) incrementally slow down as the snow piled up on the tar. So I watched how my cruising speed affected my MPG.

I had been cruising (I have always used cruise control as a rule, because drivers who don't maintain speed drive me nuts) at 75 mph when the raindrops changed to snowflakes. I turned on my "Elevation For Real" iPhone app to watch elevation gain/loss, switched the PiP display to "5 min CONSUMPTION" and saw this:
    [​IMG]

33 MPG at 75 mpg.
    I notched down the cruise a couple of ticks to 72 mph and left it there for the next five minutes of pretty flat driving. Then saw this display:

[​IMG]
    2 MPG better!
    I kept notching it down by ~3 mph every five minutes as the snow piled up, reaching my exit at 62 mph for the last five minutes...with the following results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom line was 36 MPG was as high as it climbed in about 70 miles. I'm estimating that I was getting 38 or 39 MPG when I was cruising below 65 mph. This was all done with my EV battery on zero. So maybe 38-39 MPG is the best possible highway mileage unless 55 mph gets a better MPG number. (But then, is 55 mph considered highway speed in your part of the country??)

It wasn't scientific, and you can see that I hit a toll gate about halfway into the exercise at 10:20, immediately followed by a steady 145' elevation gain for the next mile. I'd like to try this on a long steady (preferably flat) road with the initial speed at 80 or 82 mph to see the MPG differential between 82 and 62.

IMG_2041.JPG IMG_2040.JPG IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2038.JPG

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You'll do better on dry pavement, I bet. Rain and snow can add to the drag.

lensovet likes this.
  3. Jonas Studebaker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Perhaps, but do you think appreciably?

I had my 10k service (FREE) yesterday and they checked tire pressure. Not sure if the studded snow tires hurt or help MPG. But I must say that those tires, along with with the weight of PiP, make it the best 2wd snow car I've ever driven.

4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh yes. I have lost at least 5 MPG in the snow. (plus more losses for temperature)

5. Jonas Studebaker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well I put her on the road at the beginning of November, and it's been an old fashioned real winter in Maine...so maybe things are looking UP !! Spring gets here about July 3rd.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely. It is quite noticeable even in my non-hybrid, where the nonlinear nature of the MPG scale makes it much less visible.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not around here (Central Maine). This is my 6th winter since my move to Maine and I think I'd rank it number 3 for mildness. We've had one week with very cold days but mostly it's been relatively mild, with plenty of high 20s and snow-busting flashes of warmth and rain that have left a lot of ground clear of snow much of the time until the heavier snow of the past couple of weeks.

The mpg seems low, but you didn't say what the temperature was at the time.

I haven't found much economy loss in snow, but I'm still on my regular Fuel Maxes and have the pressure up. Ironically they seem better in snow than rain.

The extra tread of snow tires hurts mpg and definitely get those off quickly when spring comes. Snow tires are soft rubber for extra cold grip, so as temperatures rise they become excessively sticky.

8. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the midcoast, according to Heating Degree Days, I have the following (so this year is moderate as far as temperature goes (number does NOT include February, and the percentage is pro-rated) :

Season

2004-2005 7,950 108%
    2005-2006 7,173 98%
    2006-2007 7,437 101%
    2007-2008 7,393 101%
    2008-2009 7,903 107%
    2009-2010 7,028 96%
    2010-2011 7,599 103%
    2011-2012 6,551 89%
    2012-2013 3,883 95%

9. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My fill-ups are down about 7 mpg (from the 58 that I was averaging last summer).
    Conventional wisdom is that the snow is bogging you down, snow tires are too and the temperatures are too. My 7 mpg penalty is almost entirely temperature related. I'm running the OEM Yokohama S33D tires and not dealing with much wet or snow. I also don't do any high speed freeway driving to speak of.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting. 2009-2010 and 2011-2012 were very obviously mild for us, I particularly remember that 2009-2010 we were weirdly North of the bad weather with Southern Maine and other parts of New England getting slammed at times.

We have another relatively warm week forecast, so I can't see that 95% changing too much.

11. Jonas Studebaker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, I don't notice the cold all that much post-Christmas. It's all the darn white stuff this year...
    CSS28, my low MPG is probably more a function of low EV-HV ratio. Mostly highway miles, and pretty fast. But I'm thrilled to be saving $200 a month on petrol!

12. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Never mind the seasonal snow, rain, cold or whatever else.

Aerodynamic drag is ALWAYS there. It's a big point with me....the faster you go, the lower the mileage.

Slow down, up the mileage....really simple.

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The peak appears to be about 42 mph for me. And in my part of California during rush hour, 55 mph is optimistic for highway speed. I can average about 60 mpg at that speed. I don't think it's a coincidence that the center bar on the HSI is exactly where I get optimum fuel economy.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, the cold weather, snow and snow tires is badly hurting mileage. More info at Why mileage gets worse in winter | PriusChat

Bob Wilson plotted Updated MPG vs MPH chart | PriusChat long ago. Not sure if he's got a newer version. ZVW30 is the Gen 3 non-plugin Prius. CR got 55 mpg on their highway test. Results at The Most Fuel-Efficient Cars | Best Cars for Gas - Consumer Reports. Per last page of http://www.consumersunion.org/Oct_CR_Fuel_Economy.pdf, their highway test is run at 65 mph.

Given that the PiP is actually rated at 1 mpg higher on the EPA highway test (Compare Side-by-Side) than the non-PiP, I doubt the PiP would do any worse on the highway. If you wish to learn more about the EPA tests, read the links at Car and Driver: The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates | PriusChat.

You can also determine net elevation get/loss via Google Earth can give you an elevation profile of a route between 2 points! | PriusChat.

15. Edsvfr800

Edsvfr800 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I drive on the freeway every day to work and go 50 to 55 in the right lane...I have had only one person flash there lights behind me in a month. They are not paying my gas bill, so who cares if they get mad. I find that most people expect to pass a prius anyway. I just filled up my 2nd tank if gas and got 1044 miles to the tank and 122 mpg. Slow down and you will reap the rewards.

mmmodem likes this.
  16. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    I can take two different routes to/from work/home..
    1) Long Island Expressway- three lane expressway. Must maintain 65mph minimum to prevent getting run off the road by 18 wheelers, SUV's, pickup trucks, BMW's on their way out to The Hamptons, etc... I average 73-88mpg on my 56mi (round trip) commute.
    2) Rt 25a- two lane local road. Almost same distance as the expressway to/from work, top speed may approach 45mph, but never exceeds 50mph. When I take this route I can get up to 120mpg with the PIP.

Speed kills mpg.

17. PlugInPriusNH

PlugInPriusNH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I routinely drive between 55 and 80 on the highway between my house and work. ~55 miles highway and 14 miles side roads. I was getting 60+mpg before the winter and have been getting ~50-55 for my entire trip. It is also in New England and very hilly. With Cruise Control I get a lot of coasting time or with traffic I gently slow down as carefully and slowly as possible.

AFAIK the Prius uses a continually variable transmission so that will have some impact to how gas mileage goes at various speeds.

18. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Power Split Device in the Prius is not really a continuously variable transmission (the gear ratio is fixed), but the two motor-generators and the software together simulate the effect of a CVT.

19. Jonas Studebaker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Slow down, up the mileage....really simple.[/quote]

We've always been told this, but it's good to have a vehicle that lets us quantify it. (Even if slowing down is not an option.)

20. Jonas Studebaker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Flashing lights is the height of rudeness...unless one is driving an ambulance!
    Folks can go 55 all they want...just keep it steady for safety and courtesy.
    My zippy driving costs me MPG, obviously. Have never gotten 500 miles from a tank, so I can't fathom how anyone can get 1000 miles per tank with any material amount of highway driving at 55 mph or 85 mph. (Unless my car is defective.)

The point of the post was that it's a value added to be able to quantify it. Lots of prospective PiP buyers join in these threads to ask questions informative to their buying decision. Someone who drives high miles, mostly highway, at higher speeds (me) would likely be a better prospect for a straight Prius. I have explained elsewhere on this blog that the multiple incentives available 11/1/12 were what convinced me. The 25 mph difference between 55 and 80 gets some of us four or five hours per week to bill clients instead of drive. (Not to mention fewer hours on those highways, where people can get killed.) That tradeoff a no-brainer for some.

lensovet likes this.