1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multi Information Display while Plugged-In?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CarlB, Dec 14, 2020.

1. CarlB

CarlB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Went out to check the traction battery Heater setting, make sure it's "ON" since temperatures have finally dropped. Car was still plugged in from last charging.

Couldn't get any useful information to appear on the MID though, tried the steering wheel's MID control buttons, but none of the usual screens would make themselves available.

Would just like to confirm: to get the MID to a useful state, the car's charge door must be closed and the vehicle "ON." If not, what can I do to get the traction battery setting screen up (for instance) if the charge door is open?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You will have to put the car in READY mode, or at the least on ACC or ON mode to see the information on the MID. However, you can not put the car into READY mode while the charge cord is attached. I think you can still put the car into ACC or ON mode while plugged, but you will risk draining the 12v battery if you keep the car in that state for too long, so be careful.

BTW, the manual cautions to unplug the charge cord as soon as the charge is completed, and not to keep plugged in for a long time. Doing so also drains the 12v battery quicker. Moreover, keeping the traction battery fully charged is not good for the longevity of the traction battery either.

#2 Salamander_King, Dec 14, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    jerrymildred and CarlB like this.
  3. CarlB

CarlB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hmmm! Thanks, did not know that. I'll go unplug it.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are right. I've done it. I think it's the 2 press version which is IG On. (The display will say, "Ignition ON.") And, as you said, don't forget to hit the start button one more time to shut it off. And don't dawdle. ;)

Carl, with most cars (all the ones I've have before my first Prius, in fact), the manual is just a kneeling pad. With the Prime, it's essential reading if you want to avoid frustration.

phlack and Salamander_King like this.