1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple Errors Shown After Hybrid System Check-up

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by maxster256, Apr 27, 2019.

1. maxster256

maxster256 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Couple months back I've bought a used 2016 Prius IV.

Yesterday I went to the Toyota Dealership to have my Hybrid Synergy Drive warranty extended for another year and also perform the PCU wires check under the recent service campaign. Everything turned out to be OK and I got the warranty extended.

However, when my relative was driving back from work today in the Prius errors started showing up:
    • ABS/ESP Malfunction
    • Lane Departure Assist Malfunction
    • Pre-Crash Safety System Malfunction
    • Blind Spot Monitoring Malfunction
    • Braking Power Low
    • ICS Malfunction
    Basically it seems that every single feature crashed. The errors didn't go away after turning the car on and off, but they show up only one I start to actually drive it (when idle everything seems to be OK).

Is it possible that the dealer's service has messed something up? It seems rather suspicious that I've been driving for a couple of months without a single problem whatsoever and then straight after visiting a dealer all of these problems start to appear.

Is there a way to perform a hard-reset of Prius of sorts, or clear the errors without access to the diagnostic tools (Techstream, etc.) to see if it's just a glitch? I can consult with a trusted car electrician of mine who has access to the Toyota's diagnostic tools before going to the service again.

Would certainly appreciate any feedback, though!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try disconnecting the 12v negative for a few minutes. test the 12v health while you're at it.

anything can happen at a dealer, but they'll never admit it

knockknock_2 likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like they left something unplugged. Better do what the message says and visit your dealer.

Edit to add: More likely, they didn’t plug it in securely and it came unplugged. Otherwise it would have shown up immediately.

4. maxster256

maxster256 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you, I will do that and let you know what caused (or might have caused) the issue.

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd go see the dealer. I had something similar soon after I bought mine - but they'd all flashed (about 8 I think) before I found something to write them on. As it didn't recur, I left it till next service, but maybe could have gone that day.

Either the Vehicle Data Recorder or the Event Data Recorder had noted them, and the dealer could tell instantly that it was the Brake Light Switch - it only had one fail event. They replaced it under warranty. Hopefully yours is as uneventful - but ask the dealer.

krmcg likes this.
  6. maxster256

maxster256 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you all for your advice.

I've had my dealer perform a full system check and it turned out that the error U028487 "Lost Communication With Active Grille Air Shutter Module 'A' Missing Message" caused the other systems to report errors.

I will need to have the active grille shutter checked and fixed. Do you have any suggestions for what should the electrician be looking for? Could this be caused by a faulty connection between the grille shutter and the car's computer?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there may have been a recall here, i'm not sure. seems like there was an early problem. do some searching for threads on the grill shutters

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just searched, and there are a bunch of threads.

9. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Definitely. Let them know.

11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is a video by Dr. John Kelley about the Prius Shutters starts at the 12:40 mark.

12. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is the wiring diagram for a 2016 Prius 4 active shutters.

Fuse J/B-B is located on the left side of the engine compartment 50A fuse.
    ECU-B No. 2 is located on the left end of the dash 7.5 A.
    I would do a visual inspection of the shutters first then check these two fuses.
    If one of them is blown that could be the cause of all the other problems.

Active Shutters wiring.jpg

#12 padroo, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
  13. maxster256

maxster256 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for the help and the materials!

I will see if this thing can be fixed without the replacement of the shutters tomorrow and I will post an update ;).

14. maxster256

maxster256 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It has taken a while for me to post an update, but here it is:

It turned out that all of these errors shown by MFD were caused by a faulty wire connecting the ABS Control Module with the onboard computer. Interestingly enough, the printout from Toyota's Techstream software from authorised dealer's service didn't mention anything regarding ABS (just the grille shutters).

So, in the end, it was not a complicated fix. Should you encounter a similar problem, check your wiring first. ;)

Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It seems like their error handling logic makes the assumption all the wiring is pristine, which can be short sighted?

Kind of like when the 12 volt battery is getting weak: there's reports of all sorts of odd behaviours, warnings and so on, everything BUT an indication that the 12 volt battery might be low.

16. JessGriff

JessGriff New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

hi there! I am having the same problem. Do you have any pictures of which wire was faulty? I’m trying to fix this without having to go to the dealer. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

17. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Except that may not be your problem. I had the same general symptoms - and it turned out to be the BrakeLight Switch. It could have been anything in the braking system (and there are many sensors, switches, valves etc) causing the same error. The dealer plugging the car in and reading the error codes should save you a wild goose chase.

jerrymildred likes this.
  18. maxster256

maxster256 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Jess, I don't have any photos of wires, unfortunately :/. It's worth checking the wiring under the hood, since it seems that Toyota's software can't figure out a fault like this (or maybe they haven't dug deep enough?).

I'd advise you to take your car to a trusted car electrician of yours, as I did - thankfully :).