1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 12 volt was discharged, now have hybrid failure message

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nancy S, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Nancy S

Nancy S Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Had the windows on my vehicle tinted today which was great but the tinting guy was running the radio (and a few other things were apparently on as well) and the 12 volt went dead. He jumped to to run which it is, but I'm getting the yellow triangle messages to see the dealer from both collision avoidance failure and hybrid battery malfunction. I've looked around in the manual to see if there is a way to reset codes without visiting the dealer but haven't found anything on it. Any thoughts or is a visit to the dealer on Monday in my future?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you'll need to fully charge the dead battery and try it again.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Always be in Ready if you are using any electricity.

If you are in Ready, it is charging the 12 volt battery. No need to actually drive it anywhere or rev it up, just be in Ready for about an hour.

With luck it may not have damaged the 12 volt battery but if it is still funky in 2 weeks, get a new 12 volt battery.

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the gen 4 battery was a little more robust. hopefully it won't be as damaged as a gen 3.

6. Nancy S

Nancy S Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Got all the serious warning lights to go off now the only remaining notice is the "check engine" light. I will take it in to the dealer tomorrow to have them check out the battery and reset the light. Suppose while I am there I'll have them turn backup warning beeper. Should be an interesting visit since this is my local dealer I have dealt with for years, but went out of state to get this car after being on their wait list for months without any clear status of my "order".

bisco likes this.
  7. Gobbletown

Gobbletown Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    How was the visit? Any updates?

iPhone ?

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You'd think those guys would learn. It should be one of the mandates, for any service that's going to leave the car open for a protracted time: have the battery on a maintainer, and/or use clamps to spoof a closed door condition. There is NO excuse for them running the car to listen to the radio.

They can run the car's 12 volt battery down so easily, and if you're really unlucky: screw up the jump start, reverse the leads, which can leave you with a broken car.

9. Nancy S

Nancy S Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Update.....When we got in the Prime the morning we were to take it to the dealer, all codes were cleared. I like this car it can fix itself :)! Actually I did try the reset suggestions above and the light was still on but did not drive it until the next morning when it was fine. I probably just needed to drive it to get the light off. Since then, it's been behaving perfectly!

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe get a digital load test done on the 12 volt. At the least a check of the at-rest voltage. See what they've left you: the 12 volt may be partially recovered but impacted.

If you're interested in prosumer level toys and DIY, the Solar BA5 will do the load test.

And maybe leave a comment on Yelp regarding this. Tinters are notorious, valets a close second. Again: if those guys get their hands on a set of jumper cables (basically to try to mask what they've done) they can doing some seriously expensive damage if they hook up wrong.

Besides leaving doors open for protracted time, likely with dome light ablaze, there is no excuse for them helping themselves to your radio, running the car in accessory mode!

11. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe the car did not want to go to the vet (dealership).