1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My android head unit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Petros A., May 16, 2021.

1. Petros A.

Petros A. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everybody.

Just wanted to share my installation of an android head unit on my 3rd gen prius.
    After some issues I managed to have everything working
    A) GPS
    B) Blue tooth hands free. There was an issue with the microphone, unfortunately the onboard microphones are very bad, nobody can hear you. I tried to connect another microphone on the external pins but it didn't work so I had to desolder the onboard one and connect cables there for the ext. microphone. Now it's working great.
    C) Reverse camera activated automatically when I put the car on reverse.
    D) Steering wheel controls. This was also a headache to find the 2 cables coming from the steering wheel. All the buttons are now working and you can manually decide the functions of each one.
    E) TPMS through the usb. This is an amazing feature, I got a usb device from ebay that connects wirelessly to the 4 sensors on the tires and you can monitor live the PSI of each tire from the head unit.
    F) All the speakers are working. Just like many people, I also had the issue with the two front door bass speakers. The trick was to activate the amplifier which is located under the passenger's seat manually, by soldering the Amp enable input of the speaker to a 12V signal that appears when you start the car.

If anybody wants help with links from ebay to get the materials and how to connect everything, feel free to contact me. Have a nice day!

Attached Files:

#1 Petros A., May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
  2. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So the guidelines in the rear-view display were enabled simply by changing the head unit? No camera replacement?

3. Petros A.

Petros A. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was no camera in the car, I added it after I installed the HU. I think the guidelines are shown by the camera itself, not the HU.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. voxbox

voxbox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Petros, Can you share some details on the head unit and the dash kit you've used? I want to install a 7 inch display but I believe the Metra one just supports 6.2 inch units.

Thanks!

5. Petros A.

Petros A. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, PriusChat won't allow me to add link, so here's the description to find it on ebay.
    "For 09-13 Toyota Prius 9'' Android 9.1 Car Radio Stereo Head Unit GPS Navigation" and the seller is fcdx1600

Roger559 likes this.
  6. voxbox

voxbox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Petros! I'll look it up.

How's the product? Does it boot up quickly? Have you tried connecting an iPhone to it?

7. Petros A.

Petros A. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you enable the "Enable quick boot" in Android Settings/Accessories menu, it takes about 2 seconds to boot up. I guess it goes into a kind of sleep mode when u switch off the engine.
    I have the product for more than a year and I am satisfied for the money I paid. It has its flaws, for example the microphone is crap and u need to change it. Also it's kind of "noname" which means it is almost impossible to find updates for the firmware.
    Also, the FM radio app is not working anymore because of a bug probably, it went above 108 MHz and stuck there. I think with a factory reset it will work again but I really don't use the radio and I don't want to install everything again for something I don't care about.
    I haven't tried connecting an Iphone cause I don't have one.
    I have installed a great media player called MediaMonkey and I play mp3 files or I use spotify with my phone as mobile hotspot.
    For the reasons I got it (GPS Navigator, Media Player, Bluetooth hands free, Reverse camera & Tire Pressure monitoring) it's really great and much much better than the original system the car had.

8. Rifaqat Shah

Rifaqat Shah New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You might find your updated OS here
    file xygala com
    user: XYAUTO
    pw:123456
    (for more details you can search for xda Head Unit)

and for the mic, I just found out this video, haven't tried it yet.

youtu.be/Cn50Zpl8bAs

9. markos1267

markos1267 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Petro,

just a quick question. Does your car have the jbl sound system. If No is it possible to guide me in doing the amp activation procedure.

Thank you in advance

10. Petros A.

Petros A. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the late reply but I just noticed your message in this old thread.
    In the amplifier you need to locate the 12V signal that appears when you switch on the car. There is also a 12V cable that comes straight from the battery, but you need the one that measures 12V ONLY WHEN THE CAR is switched on. You need to have a voltmeter to make sure.
    Now the problem is that I've done this a real long time ago and I don't remember exactly which cable is the ENABLE signal. You have to short circuit the 12V cable with this one. I think they are next to each other. I will try to find it again, otherwise I will have to open the amp and see where I connected it. I will check and let you know

11. Petros A.

Petros A. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A