1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My install and review of the AIMS Prius 2kW Pure Sine Wave Inverter for Backup Power Generator

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by AHetaFan, Mar 3, 2013.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I connected mine to a refrigerator that I have in the garage and lowered the thermostat until the compressor motor started. The voltage dipped significantly but the inverter continued to run with no problem.

2. Bear E

Bear E Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    recent reply to inquiry on (reference 1) --
    Dear Mr. Johnson,​
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.​
    We appreciate your continued interest in the Toyota Prius.​
    We apologize; Toyota has not announced intentions offer the Prius with this option in the United States at this time, and we do not have information on any future plans to do so.Toyota is aware of public interest in using Prius as an emergency generator in a power outage situation, and we will continue to monitor market conditions to identify potential opportunities to offer our customers vehicles equipped with the features that they seek.Your email will be made available for review by the appropriate departments, and will aid us in planning future products to better serve your driving needs.​
    Please bookmark http://pressroom.toyota.com and check back periodically to receive additional information on this topic.​
    Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters.If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,​
    Darren Ree​
    Toyota Customer Experience​
    ~~ wonder if anyone has contacts with Japanese owners that might have info they could share on this option?​

jdcollins5 likes this.
  3. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've read this discussion with great interest. I am planning to hook a Xantrex Prowatt SW1000 True Sinewave inverter to the 12v battery. But when I looked at the 2010 Prius cables to the 12v battery, they look very thin, and don't look like they could carry much current. According to the Xantrex manual, the inverter should deliver 900w continuous, and 2000w peak. They suggest using 0 AWG cables from the battery to the inverter. And I'm thinking a 150A ANL fuse on the positive cable from the battery to the inverter should protect the Prius 12v battery OK. But I'm concerned that drawing 900w continuous may deplete the 12v battery, if the Prius dc/dc inverter that powers the 12v battery is not strong enough to keep up with the current draw. And my concern comes from seeing those tiny (?) wires of the Prius to the 12v battery (what size are they, actually?)

So, what can I realistically draw continuously by connecting my inverter to the 12v battery in the 2010 Prius?

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There have been many threads on here that address connecting an inverter to the 12V battery. Search on here for details and I think you will find all of your answers.

5. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have spent hours reading the many threads here, but am concerned that:
    - the cables to the 12v battery on my 2010 Prius seem very thin. Are the cables on the older cars heavier?
    - many of the posts say, "I suppose..." That doesn't give me confidence. (n)
    - I wonder how much I can draw continuously (not just for hours, but days)?

6. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The fuse in the car's DC-DC connection to the 12V battery is 100A, so your inverter fuse should be a lower value than this.

There's a current capacity table at Genuinedealz which rates 6AWG wire at 120A. For short runs you shouldn't need anything heavier.

Here's one of the more comprehensive threads on using an inverter with the Prius.

7. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Might be a good idea to measure the gage of your cables so you can be sure what you are working with. Your post will be more on topic if you post in one of the 12v inverter threads or open your own thread. I haven't even read the 12 volt threads because it is very different from connection to the traction battery.

8. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. It's actually 125A, and I looked at the battery, and it has a 140A fuse in the positive side terminal connector. So I will definitely not use a 150A fuse as I had planned.

9. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, thanks, there are so many threads here I figured this thread was fine, but I can start a new one.

10. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So does the eBay unit come with cables or is modified?

They both list the same model number and specs unless I am missing something.

Edit- they are different model #'s PWRI200012S vs PWRI2000S240VDC

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The one for the Prius comes with two #10 wires with ring terminals that fit the inverter DC input on one end and the HV battery output connection on the other. The inverter DC input range is 180-240 VDC to match the Prius HV battery.

You will need to add the correct inline fuse holders and semiconductor fuses as described in AHetaFan's write up to properly protect the wiring between the HV battery and inverter unit from a short circuit fault.

As for the model numbers I think you are missing something. The PWRI200012S indicates a 2000W, 12oVAC output and 12VDC input as noted by fuzzy1 above. The AIMS Prius unit is custom made to match the HV battery voltage.

14. Handygeek

Handygeek Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The fuse you linked is 25 amp. I recommend the 15 amp also sold on that site Semiconductor Fuses | Ferraz Shawmut or Mersen | A60Q15-2 | Allfuses.com
    Total cost with shipping may cost you less from Zoro Tools where I bought mine. Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies Search for G3537256

You have linked the same fuse holder I used which should be fine. The fuse holder is also available from Zoro Tools if you would like to order everything you need from one place. Search HEB-AA

16. Handygeek

Handygeek Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the heads-up!

When one looks at the huge price differences for the same devices on AllFuses vs Zoro Tools, plus the shipping cost, if one buys three fuses (always nice to have a spare) and two holders from Zoro for $52.43 the shipping is free -- that looks like the best deal.

I am presuming that one fuses both sides of the line, though that's debated in the world of mobile Amateur Radio, I don't see a down-side to extra protection.

Thanks, David

17. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I goofed once and plugged in my inverter while the car was powered on. The little bit of arcing between terminals as I made the connection caused both fuses to pop. I have two spare fuses now.

18. Handygeek

Handygeek Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point - I'll get a pair of spares.

David

19. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    New info for those reading through this thread later. I've been told of additional brands/models of UPS, that are compatible with the Prius traction battery. I added the info to the end of the thread linked in my signature. I'm still using the APC SURT line.

20. AHetaFan

AHetaFan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ConVerdant Vehicles has the Aims Prius 2k Inverter on sale $100 off on their site through Jan 7. I mention this because they may be able to help arrange professional install for anyone who does not want to do it themselves. Plug-Out Kits

The eBay price has dropped also.