1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Need a Charge while Camping

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by drash, Sep 17, 2022.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Colorado Teardrop EV Range Extender Camper Trailer Has Its Own Battery Pack

Yeah there was a thread made about 11 years ago (EV trailer range extender | PriusChat) for a similar item, but for those needing sleeping for 4 and a charge when they get there here is a combination EV charging with a camper.
    https://coloradoteardrops.com/ev/
    • Weight before you throw all your other camping stuff in there is 2,200lbs.
    • Sleeps 4
    • DCFC charging and recharging at 50 to 60 kW (using CCS1)
    • 75 kWh battery
    • L1 charging as well
    • Cost: $55,000 :eek:o_O (sorry no coughing emoticon) that's going to be the normal cost after the early adopter pricing tiers are done - 875 early adopters total in five tiers
    They actually market these for EVs. Before anyone goes into attack mode, I do see a couple of business models and a disaster prep model.
    1. You could purchase this in anticipation of people running out of juice anywhere. DCFC is far faster than generator provided L2.
    2. You could also rent and set one of these up early for boondock camping. It's even got spare beds in it.
    3. You could take one of these to any disaster area (if you can get there) where infrastructure has been devastated and have unlimited spare electricity without fear of CO poisoning. Put up a StarLink access point for emergency telecoms. Or park it in your garage and run it in case.

Beware not big enough to stand up in and no potty but those could be pluses.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Campers and motorhomes are the new real estate... I'm interested in flipping some once my shop is better equipped. As for what's possible to tow with a Prius, once you get above 1200 pounds in total weight, you won't feel very comfortable the way the load throws the back of the car around at freeway speed when you hit bumps in the road.

That's why I'm getting an old Toyota truck that can handle up to 3K pounds towing. Camper I'm most interested in is the Scamp 19' which is lightest 5th wheel trailer you can buy. It has everything! They're out of my price range at the moment, but maybe one that needs to be restored will come along?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks pretty cool

4. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A single Tesla Powerwall is $11,500 and is 13 kwh
    They are only about $9K each for two, but then you have to have them installed and aren't portable
    So maybe 6 of them are $55K and provide 78kwh, but no place to sleep

Mike

drash likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #5 hill, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022