1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a little help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ryanjim, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Ryanjim

Ryanjim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I have a 2006 Prius that I'm hoping to get some advice on.

In 2020 I was having some issues with the 12v battery dying. It was old but I think may have had a parasitic draw. I had to jump it a few times and, like an idiot, reversed the polarity and blew the 100amp fusible link. For several reasons, including having an extra car, the Prius has sat in my garage all this time.

My other car is now dead and before I buy something else I'd like to at least try to get the Prius working (if such a thing is even possible at this point). Tonight I finally replaced the fusible link, only took me two hours, which is better than I expected for my level of knowledge. I replaced the 12v last summer but it's dead again, so jumping it seems like the first step, but what then?

The gas tank is full of old gas. Hasn't had an oil change in forever. I've been told the hybrid battery would have discharged entirely and may even need to be charged by Toyota? Who knows what else is wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I would truly love to be able to drive this car again.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Confirm that you have 12v at the jump points under the hood. If not, check your work and the 12v battery in the rear. If low voltage, and you purchased a new battery (with a warranty), take it into the retailer for a test/charge/replacement, whatever they will offer.

Since the 12v went low (which likely reset the fuel trims to factory settings), and before attempting a single restart on an already questionable HV battery, clean up the MAF sensor first (use MAF cleaner, etc). Report back here on if the vehicle turns over or not (dies after 7 seconds), and or what warning lights are being displayed on the dash (*). Don't try to restart if it dies after X seconds.

Which part of Minnesota are you near, as that is a fairly large state.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

(*) Generally speaking, if you have warning lights being displayed on the dash, you'll also have OBD2 codes being stored in the computers (ECUs), use a hybrid compatible scanner to retrieve those stored codes, knowing the codes may help in diagnosing or repairing the vehicle with less expense and time. Disconnecting the 12v will clear the codes, so always write them down first.

3. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    after jumpstarting the 12v battery you need to drive the car around for a long time to charge it back. Letting the Prius sit for a long time is bad for both 12v and main HV battery. Old gas sitting for a long time is a bummer too, you're lucky if fuel pump is still in good condition otherwise you'll be surprised that you can't buy the pump separately as a unit on a Prius.

4. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Better to use a charger on the 12 volt. If you are anywhere near @strawbrad (Richfield MN) give him a call and see if he can help, seeing as you alluded to your knowledge level. His info is in this post.

How to Change the HV Battery CELL / Module/s on Gen 1 Prius | Page 2 | PriusChat

#4 alftoy, Apr 12, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Strictly speaking, it just needs to be in READY for a long time. Unlike many other cars, it doesn't charge any faster when driving than just sitting there in READY. But "a long time" is no joke; figure 15 hours anyway.

6. Ryanjim

Ryanjim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I live north of Minneapolis.

I'll get the 12v charged somehow and clean the MAF and see what happens when I try to start it.

7. Ryanjim

Ryanjim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, I'm not experienced enough to be surprised by whatever it'll take to replace a fuel pump. I'll look into it, though, just to prepare myself or rule out if I even have enough skill for it.

8. Ryanjim

Ryanjim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so I started the car. It did basically what you said, seemed to start for a few seconds and stopped. The big red triangle with the exclamation is on and the check engine light. On the LCD it said "Problem" and then a red battery light and car with exclamation point. Pulled the P0A80 and P2118 codes.

As far as I can tell, this means the HV battery is toast. Also watched a video on replacing the fuel pump, that is not something I can do.

Thinking the car is a goner unless anyone else has an opinion.

9. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    you can try grid charge the HV battery, maybe it has chances of being revived otherwise you'll have to spend on rebuilding or putting in a new battery. The fuel pump is just a guess, you could have other major issues for letting it sit.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not a foregone conclusion the hybrid vehicle (HV) battery is toast.it may just need charging as highmilesgarage said. You can determine this by looking at the block voltages of the HV battery using your scan tool.

The DTC P2118 has the fortune cookie text :Throttle Actuator Control Motor Current Range / Performance".

It could be:
    • Open in ETCS power source circuit;
    • ETCS fuse; or
    • ECM.
    The repair manual will take you through the steps to determine which of these areas might be at fault.

DESCRIPTION

The Electronic Throttle Control System (ETCS) has a dedicated power supply circuit. The voltage (+BM) is monitored and when the voltage is low (less than 4 V), the ECM concludes that the ETCS has a fault and current to the throttle control motor is cut.

When the voltage becomes unstable, the ETCS itself becomes unstable. For this reason, when the voltage is low, the current to the motor is cut. If repairs are made and the system has returned to normal, turn the power switch OFF. The ECM then allows current to flow to the motor and the motor can be restarted.

HINT: This Electrical Throttle Control System (ETCS) does not use a throttle cable.

You could check that the throttle actuator plate turns freely and try lubricating it with light machine oil to see if you can make it move freely. Just WAG.

11. Ryanjim

Ryanjim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't realize I could manually charge the hybrid battery. It appears that can be done while the battery remains in the car, correct? Any suggestions on quality chargers?

12. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Diy Grid charger $100
    DiY Grid Charger | PriusChat

Prolong charger $429
    Prolong discharger $300
    Total $700 hopefully it revives your battery, if not, replacing your battery is another $850
    Total $1550, be sure your battery is a suitable candidate for grid charging.

Or a quality rebuilt battery from Minnesota @strawbrad $850 installed at your location

Attached Files:

#12 alftoy, Apr 13, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    SFO likes this.
  13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have seen several reverse polarity jumps performed. Every one has blown more than just the fusible link. You should check all the fuses in the underhood fuse box. Although the hybrid battery may be weak and wasn't able to start the car the first time, if you disconnect the 12v battery for a few moments, all codes will erase from the cars memory and factory defaults will be restored, including the car thinking the HV battery has an OK charge. This can often get you a couple more tries at starting.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And both fuses in the 12 volt battery positive clamp.

If you miss the little 5 amp fuse there, a trouble code for the DC/DC converter will be reported, which some people will interpret as needing to sell you a whole new inverter.

15. Ryanjim

Ryanjim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all, thanks for sticking with me on this. So my 12v battery was bad and got it replaced under warranty, so a whole new battery there. The OBD threw that ETCS code, so I pulled out the fuse for it and it was blown. After I replaced it, I tried to start the car up... and it ran! It ran for several minutes and I thought that was enough for now since it was late and shut it off.

Today, I started it up again to see if I could at least get it out of my tiny garage and it backed out. I drove it forward and back a few times. Checked as much of the electronics as I could. Everything seems to be working from what I can tell so hopefully no more blown fuses. Only code it still throws is P0A80. On the dash I have the red triangle of death, yellow circle with exclamation point, and check engine light. since nothing else came up on the scan, is the check engine related to the HV battery issue? Not sure if that would cause the check engine or not. The yellow circle seems to have to do with the brake? I'll double check the parking break isn't on.

I scanned with Dr Hybrid but not really sure what I'm looking for.

All in all, I'm very pleased with where I'm at now. Thank you all. What do you suggest for next steps?

16. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Start it up and let it idle for 30 minutes to allow the hybrid battery to fully charge. Listen to the engine. Record a video with your phone. Post it here with any problems.. Within Dr Prius you can hit the clear codes button and the scan for codes button after. Did any codes pop up? post your results here. The P0A80 code is the hybrid battery. Letting it idle for 30 min should fully charge the hybrid battery to a much better level. Check the oil and coolant levels in both coolant reservoirs FIRST. Then after you do that your SOC indicator on the main screen should be in the blue bars....you can then disconnect the 12v battery for 5 minutes and the codes should clear. Then start it again and scan for codes. If there are none you should have no warning lights.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Codes from the engine control module normally light the check engine light. Codes from the HV control ECU (like P0A80) normally light the red triangle, but some of them will light the check engine as well. There's a table in the repair manual that says which ones do. I don't have that open right now so I'm not sure if P0A80 is one of them, but it could well be.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

The brake system can set trouble codes just because of codes in the HV control ECU. If that code is C1259 (or if the yellow circle blinks 5 8 when you do this: Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat) then that's all that is.

18. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A P0A80 will turn on the MIL (check engine light), but last time I checked, there were no actual codes in the ECM.

I assume that Toyota engineers decided that a dying HV battery would result in higher than acceptable tailpipe emissions.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

19. Ryanjim

Ryanjim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, so things seem to be going off the rails now. I started the car after work and the fan in the back seat was going non-stop. Dr prius suggested the battery is over heating, it seems (see attached picture).

I'm addition I now have 3 more codes (see second picture). At first I thought it was showing me the P0A80 twice, but I noticed it said 08, instead. Then there's the P0A09 and the P3020. The 3020 seemsto have something to do with the heat, but I can't get a grip on the 08/09 from videos and searches.

Is this just all indication bad battery or are we talking inverter issues or more?

Attached Files:

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV