1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a source for HV battery components

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by akskier49, Mar 4, 2018.

1. akskier49

akskier49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    New PC member her making my first post. My girlfriend's Prius popped the red triangle of death on her way home from work. The OBD scanner gave me all sorts of weird codes-- after clearing the codes and driving it around, only code that recurred was p3030. After reading a blog post from Lucious Garage about faulty wiring on the no. 2 bus bar, I pulled out the HV battery and started tearing it apart...as expected, there is a massive amount of corrosion on both bus bars. I was able to clean and reassamble one side, but the no. 2 sensor side has fragile 20 ga wires and I've decided I'd just like to replace that part. When I pulled the wiring harness, I inspected the terminal on the hybrid battery control module, and found evidence of scorching and several pins had corroded away.

The good news is that the HV battery tested tested well (16.2-16.3 volts across each pack of cells) and so I think that replacing the HV ECU and the no 2 battery bus bar/wiring harness should be the remedy. I am having difficulty finding these components on the web or through my Toyota dealer. I am able to find the wiring bar online for gen i....does anyone know if there are any differences between a gen i and gen ii wiring harness? Also, a new HV ECU is about $500- are there any special considerations when purchasing/installing a new one? Has anyone ever successfully removed the port from the ECU breadboard and soldered in a clean one? Thanks for any and all input, folks! I can post pictures after Ive made a few posts...

2. akskier49

akskier49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    2004-2009 Toyota Prius hybrid control module 89890-47080

is the part# for the ecu I need

3. akskier49

akskier49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    toyota part number 82165-47030
    is the part number for the gen 1 OEM harness...will it work for gen ii??

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a big difference between Classic Prius and 2G Prius traction batteries because the former has 38 modules while the latter has 28. So do not think of using Classic Prius battery parts.

You may be able to find a used replacement traction battery ECU on eBay.
    2004-2009 Toyota Prius hybrid control module 89890-47080 | eBay

The orange bus bars should be replaced - if your local dealer cannot help, try calling AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway in Houston, TX and see if they can help you determine the correct part numbers and ship to you.

Another source is autobeyours.com which specializes in used 2G Prius parts. You may be able to get a traction battery ECU and the busbars / wiring harness there.

#4 Patrick Wong, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    akskier49 likes this.
  5. akskier49

akskier49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I can't post pics yet, but if you look at the thread Gen II codes P01AF P3030 P3056 | Page 2 | PriusChat, I am basically having the same problem that he illustrates with the corrosion on the harness and at the ecu. Sound like a fellow PC member helped him source parts...hoping I can find the same!

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gen1, Gen2, and Gen3 all have different wiring harnesses. And different ECUs.

akskier49 likes this.
  7. akskier49

akskier49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks Patrick. Do you know if a replacement Battery ECU needs any kind of programming after installation or is it plug and play?

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No programming needed.

akskier49 likes this.
  9. akskier49

akskier49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Awesome. Thanks for the advice, gents!

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You may need to program the immobilizer ECU with the ID of the new ECU... I haven't done it personally but it is in the tech manual for an ECU replacement.

akskier49 likes this.
  11. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Call us on Monday, we can connect you with someone who has hundreds of those laying around ;-)

Prodigyplace, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You are obviously NOT using Techstream software. This is the official software for Toyota, to read ALL Toyota/Lexus/Scion codes.

You should be concerned about the "weird" codes your non-compatible OBD2 reader gave you.

Invest in miniVCI and Techstream, on Amazon/eBay. Best installed on an obsolete laptop, Windows 32bit OS.

Steve at Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana probably has lots of those parts around.

SFO likes this.
  13. akskier49

akskier49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    @exstudent -
    Yes, I ordered the miniVCI, but I wanted to see what I could figure out before it arrived (I'm impatient, especially when giving the lady friend rides to work). Even without the proper software, the codes it threw were p3030, pa080, p3012, p3013-- all related to the hybrid battery, so I figured taking a look at the traction battery was a good place to start. After observing the damage on the traction battery control computer and wiring harness, I am sure that replacing these will be necessary even if more problems are discovered after I get it back together. 20180305_110426.jpg

I was able to source the parts from a local junker who had a low mileage 2006 prius sitting under a pile of snow...after much digging, wrenching, and cursing, I have the wiring harness and a new ECU for cheap. Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  14. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I’ve got gen 2 battery components just gathering dust. Has anyone helped you out yet?

15. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Oops just read the end of your post. Best of luck to ya!