1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEED HELP DECIDING IMMEDIATELY: Two exact same 2010 Prius IV with diff price

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Beethovenite, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Beethovenite

Beethovenite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Makes me wonder if I should take his posts seriously... darn, he was starting to give me some hope... ;)

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've personally met Bob and will tell you he knows *WAY* more about the technical details of the Prius than me.

FWIW, he buys Toyota published papers from the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) written about Priuses newer than his to see what improvements they've made. He's run gasoline tests like Gas experiment | PriusChat. 2003 Prius is some of his other work.

SAE papers describing Prius c | PriusChat was one of his more recent purchases.

Bob builds an aircraft carrier | PriusChat was about his towing...

3. Beethovenite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yah, I could tell he knows his Prius! There's a decent chance that my previous post was just me being sarcastic... :D

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Towing is not recommended but I have Prius experience since Oct 2005 and Prius-aware, OBD scanners. I've spent years learning the systems and how they perform so I felt comfortable with expanding the scope with towing 1,750 lbs of airplane and trailer. My essay was not to advocate anyone towing but to give a clue about what is possible. There are more capabilities in our Prius than many realize.

Understand that I throughly approve of buying a used Prius. It is a cost-effective way to get introduced to this remarkable technology. Best of all, there are many technical sources and helpful folks with insights to share.

Going back to your proposed purchase, if you are 'negotiating,' OK share your concerns with the sales-critter. Until you sign the contract, you have no obligations. After you sign, you'll find a lot of help to master Prius technology.

Bob Wilson

5. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good to know a such from one of the PC Guru :) I was already considering in future to tow light trailer with small boat for short distances. Now I know enough (just seen aircraft carrier thread WOW!), thanks, sorry for OT.

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No history doesn't necessarily mean no maintenance. No history could easily mean a mechanic who does his own maintenance and babies the car. I mean, I used to do my own oil changes when I was younger and I used some of the best oil and filters. Now, that I am older and unwilling to get my hands dirty, I get my car serviced at the local Firestone. I have no idea what they use. All I do is check that the oil is yellow and not black and pay the guy.

Anyway, if everything is equal, it the carfax report is likely the sole reason for the price difference. The 24k car is undoubtedly the more reliable choice. Having history does make a car seem more reliable.

My opinion? Given the choice, I'd take the cheaper car in a heartbeat. Test drive being good of course. It's CPO. Toyota already did their checks and slapped a warranty sticker on it. If I don't trust Toyota, why am I buying a Prius? The second car, though, is more expensive than a brand new 2012 Prius Two and knocking on the doors of a Prius Three. Based on your responses, you seem like someone who needs peace of mind on reliability. Doesn't it make more sense to skimp on features and get a new Prius Two or shell out another grand or two for a Prius Three? At those ridiculous used car prices, that's what I'd do and save a bit on 0% financing.

Actually, I did do that. I got a PiP last month. $25800 after all the rebates.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here's a hint about Bob: "Don't tell me what it is designed to do. Tell me what it can do."

It looks like a little 2010 model year history is in order. The year started much earlier than usual, in the spring/summer of 2009. There were a couple of "minor" upgrades & price hikes along the way. Early production does not a a USB port in the center armrest. Late 2009 production has the Safety Connect buttons up by the rear view mirror. Move the production date a week one way or the other & the "same" car isn't the same car. Check the build dates.

2010 was also a long model year, lasting over a year. Model Year 2009 was a short model year.

There are three possibilities for the 2010 Prius IV. The IV Base, IV Nav (with navigation--you can't miss the screen on the dash), and IV Solar (nav is bundled in & you can't miss the solar panel on the roof).

2009 was also the year the economy tanked. Do you remember the comparisons to the Great Depression? The winter was long & cold with lots of snow storms dumping lots of snow. Accumulation on the East Coast was measured in feet. The Prius went from selling at MSRP to selling at invoice. In January 2010 Toyota introduced Toyota Care which included scheduled maintenance for two years or 25000 miles.

Owners covered by that program are most likely going to go to a dealer for the 2 free oil changes. If you aren't covered, you are probably going elsewhere & not updating your vehicle service record yourself.

Toyota also stopped selling rubber floor mats due to media hysteria & fraud. (Yes, I'm accusing Mr. S. of fraud.)

If you click on the service visit you should be able to get some detail. Without seeing anything I'll throw out some possibilities.

Change customizable settings. (back up beep, seat belt beep, how the doors lock, how long the headlights stay on when car is turned off, display contrast...the list is pages long in the owners manual)

Complaint that the steering wheel lights are too dim. They are dim. Live with it.

Maybe the complaint was that a courtesy light wouldn't come on. Cause: it was switched off.

Maybe the 12v battery was run down by the dealer or owner. Maybe the battery was bad. It happens.

If you can't pull up more detail then the Service area can. Ask.

No two used cars are identical. You will need to decide which differences matter & how much they do.

Make sure you receive TWO fobs.

I believe that package you mentioned was the cargo net, a first aid kit, and a fancy pouch for the manual. (You'll want the cargo net if it is installed.) Look for hooks drilled into each side of the hatch area.

If money is a concern, do you really need the heated leather seats? The functionality of most of the expensive gizmos can be added one way or another. Prius owners don't have much to complain about so we complain about little things.

Best wishes for finding the exact car you want and many years of savings & happiness with it.

Jin, bwilson4web and cwerdna like this.
  8. Beethovenite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just want to let y'all know that I just purchased my first car and I am very pleased. I ended up getting a certified pre-owned silver 2010 Prius III with 35k miles on it. I got the dealer to lower the price down to KBB private value price--about $3500 off the sticker price. To be perfectly honest, I was surprised that they were willing to go that low. I did spend about 7 hours at the dealer aggressively negotiating for about 4 hours of it. It helped that I had 3 other great offers on the table from other dealers.

Thank you to all of you who taught me so much in the last 24 hours. I look forward to being an active member of the Priuschat community!

sbddude, dmvp and bwilson4web like this.
  9. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congratulations ! As I was in very similar situation three month ago (choosing car) please share more details of your new baby. And - of course have a fun... and hum :)

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Something common to the mammals I live with, wife, two dogs and myself, is a tendency to 'mark what they own' and that is true with a new car. No doubt you are feeling the need for some 'stuff' but I would caution that you may want to spend some time thinking about what makes sense . . . say at least the first or second gas tank . . . to get an idea of what after-market things might improve your Prius experience. I don't sell anything but would suggest:
    1. Know what the car is doing - GPS receiver, Prius aware OBD scanner and driving aid.
    2. Make the car more comfy - windshield solar screen, rain guards, seat cushion(s), USB-audio interface
    3. Expand the car capabilities - 1 kW inverter for power outages, towing receiver hitch
    4. Tweak the car - tires, 12V tire air pump, tire pressure gauge, lubrication superstitions
    5. Roadmap - shop manuals (my favorite)
    You are likely to have the car for years and not everything has to be done at once. Rather, use the same clever approach you used to start this thread but moderated by a couple of tanks of gas. Then leverage that experience to your best effect.

• 3500/7 ~= $500/hr . . . GOOD JOB!
    Bob Wilson

Beethovenite likes this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Is immediately up yet? ;)

You buy a big investment - it's seldome worth rushing. Food for thought.

12. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good choice. congratulations.

13. Beethovenite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    [​IMG]

Here's my new baby. 2010 Prius III with some nice options on it, like the Nav DVD system and backup camera. Never had bluetooth before, so I am quite pleased!

14. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Beethovenite, welcome to the Silver Squadron. Don't forget to update your profile to 2010 III Nav.

Beethovenite likes this.
  15. Beethovenite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    JimN, I am honored to be part of the Silver Squadron. Thanks for your warm welcome. Looking forward to flying alongside the best squadron of the Prius Fleet!

16. Jin

Jin Blizzard PRIUS 2010, Nav+ solar roof

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We complain about little things because we love our cars too much, so we see to attend to every little illness on our cars;)

17. Jin

Jin Blizzard PRIUS 2010, Nav+ solar roof

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    BTW what did you end up paying ?

18. Beethovenite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would prefer to not share the exact amount but it was under $20k. I think even if I could do better, I probably could not go much lower than that...

19. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You should click on the details of the service visit and see what the electrical concern was for.