1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help! In a predicament in Dallas, TX.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Sanjay Goel, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Remind us again the current condition of your battery (good and hasn’t failed, weak and showing signs of failure, replaced a module or 2).

I’ve seen benefit from doing only one cycle (one charge up, discharge to 134 ten charge back up).

Depending on your batteries condition that might be all you need.

Sanjay Goel and RCO like this.
  2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Prolong® Deluxe Reconditioning Package (( PDR-HH )) package.
    Your charger model label should show an output rating of 360 VOLTS DC

The instructions are fairly generic, and not to difficult to understand for someone that has already
    done several charge/discharge cycling routines with a pack or two or three.

In no way are they easy to understand for a beginner or novice.

Mostly to the fact that all the charger model SKUs have basically the same procedure
    with different voltage ranges all mixed together into one set of instructions..

Important: Pack cooling with the fan(s) is important for safety. One fan should be sufficient cooling
    for a pack being charged at 350 ma

One issue I see already is that your pack has three module blocks, each with it's own ducting and fan.

You will want to make sure you have air moving through all three ducts while charging/discharging.

It's best if you can monitor difference of air temp going into and coming out of the pack.

At 350 ma charge rate you don't need a huge amount of air moving but three fans might be worth the effort to
    make sure you have movement in all three ducts while charging/discharging.

There are so many other safety features built into the GC01 that I take for granted and some I've yet to fully comprehend
    it's hard to remember all of the basic safety cutoffs
    Then try to transpose them to a system requiring 288 volts as a starting point and acquiring 330 - 340 + VOLTS fully charged.

charge/discharge cycling is what it is. It is what works best for most NiMH packs that have
    imbalanced cell issues

not all packs respond to charge/discharge cycling.

although most that have been documented respond positively to some degree, many to a large degree after charge/discharge cycling.

It is the first step of the cell balancing cycle.

in short yes. If you only charge once all you accomplish is to raise the pack voltage higher than the Highlander will charge the pack.

After you get a plan together you should talk with Matt again and see if he agrees.
    There are so many conflicting versions of what works best,
    untangling them and figuring out what works best for your pack and vehicle is the most difficult part of the process for a beginner. !

#42 vvillovv, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe, no one supplied the info you needed, cos at first, you just weren't... You were just scared. I bet if such info about tgr voltages were supplied, you still wouldn't have being able to do it. Simply because of the psychological fears, maybe?!

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought the Highlander pack was a nickel metal hydride chemistry?!:oops:

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @Dxta. Glad you brought that up.
    I forgot to make the correction previously.
    I got confused by watching the the lithium video and associating the module block structure of the newer lithium
    to the older bigger NiMH module blocks. It's the first I've seen the module block stuff.
    I'd also forgotten this thread was concerning Highlander and posted as if it was a gen2 or gen3 prius.
    apologies ....

highlander thread

Dxta, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We ALL learn every day!

SFO likes this.
  7. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I have had the car for less than 2 months now, driven 2400 miles so I do not know the long term history of the vehicle. However as long as I have had it there haven't been any codes thrown by the battery (or anything else for that matter). Its a 2010 manufactured in Sep 2009 hence almost 8.5 years old now with 162k miles on it.

Question - why does the first (or only) cycle have to start with a charge? Instead of just discharge and then doing a soak charge?

Another question - The car was sitting in the garage opened up for about 2.5 weeks - however, when we plugged in the Hybrid Automotive charger to make sure it is working - it showed a voltage of 313 Volts. I was under the impression that once you let these NiMh batteries sit disconnected (which mine was because the orange Hybrid Battery disconnect plug had been removed) for 2 weeks, that is enough for them to self-discharge. How come mine was reading 313 Volts after sitting disconnected for over 2 weeks?

8. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The vehicle has been put back together again - so there is no way of accessing the fans etc to find out how many are working :( --- that being said, we tested by connecting the charger before putting everything back together and all 3 fans were working. So I think we are good on that front.

How does one monitor difference of air temp going into and coming out of the pack? Is that available via Techstream? Or I put a temperature meter near the inlet vents and the outlet vents? I don't even know where the outlet vent/s are for this. The inlet vents are underside of 2nd row seats on the front.

Why do you say that doing only 1 cycle instead of 3 successive cycles using HA's equipment will only raise the pack voltage higher? Why won't be there any reconditioning benefit at all by doing 1 cycle? Remember that 1 cycle means - Charge/Discharge/Charge - or at the least discharge/charge.

#48 Sanjay Goel, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    good

position thermocouple at intake and exhaust openings of the pack ducts.

No
    Techstream provides module temps which are much more accurate than relying on airflow temps.

But the cars computers are not setup for monitoring grid charging/discharging.

Better than no monitoring at all but not very accurate with the temp sensors so far from the pack.

In this instance I'm talking about charging
    I'm also not talking about "1 cycle"
    I'm also not talking about any specific equipment.
    I'm referring to only charging the pack.

If you only charge the pack without discharging the pack, all That's accomplished is to raise the voltage of the pack higher than the voltage the vehicle will charge the pack to.

I don't know of any vehicle, except maybe drag racer (and probably not them either) that would use grid charger produced top end voltage from the pack.

It just doesn't make much sense ( to me anyways ) when looking at the battery packs power curve.

In this instance I was referring to charging the pack. Not cycling the pack.

The first Precharge - Discharge cycle can be thought of as a baseline of the packs current condition.

Yeah I remember! Or "Percharge" - discharge - depending on your point of view.....

much different scenario
    than Charge - Discharge - Charge = 1 cycle
    And I suppose there is a pack issue that might call for a cycle using no Precharge before Discharge.
    But I couldn't tell you what that might be.
    Maybe someone else has seen this as optimal scenario in their situation.

There's a lot of theoretical stuff I haven't looked at while I continue to untangle the practical application of keeping my car running
    with it's own unique set of circumstances.
    YMMV

#49 vvillovv, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  10. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad to hear you got the covers off and finished the install. Sorry it was such a painful process for you. Those fan clips can be pinched & released from underneath with angle pliers to remove them from the battery box sheet metal. I suspect you know that by now.

We recommend a charge first prior to discharging to ensure the cells are as balanced as possible while deep discharging. You can spread it out over a couple weekends if needed, although it is better to do it all at once if possible.

vvillovv and RCO like this.
  11. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The pack should not self discharge when no load is present. Degraded packs can self discharge but this is a negative indicator of battery health (i.e. bad packs do it, not good ones). The fact that it did not (assuming it was at 313V two weeks ago when you parked it) is a good thing.

vvillovv, Prodigyplace and RCO like this.
  12. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jeff - I am glad that you noticed this thread and responded. In essence what you are saying, albeit indirectly, that the HV battery pack in my vehicle appears to be in decent shape. This is good to know for me, since based on what I have understood thus far, the probability of extending the life of the pack increases considerably if it is in a good shape to start with. Do I understand this correctly?

Matt remarked that most negative feedback about this (your) product stems from people who use this as a last ditch attempt to re-invigorate an already failed or close to failing battery.

I really want to do it all at once, however, I am afraid that in my situation that is very difficult. Every other weekend I am traveling out of town to the state prisons and need my car. I will see what is the best I can do.

One question for you though - reading earlier threads here of folks using this product on Prius it seems to take about 15 - 20 hours (some even charged beyond 24 hours) to fully charge the battery in each charging cycle. Since my battery pack is larger (288 Volts), does that increase the duration of each charge (as well as discharge) cycle? Or is it the same?

I am planning to start this Friday - so the more I can learn the better I will be able to plan it out.

Another question - I have a Mini VCI cable (& TIS s/w) on the way - hopefully delivered this Friday. Hoping that I will be able to install the software and the cable will work with this vehicle - is there any parameter I can check before and after HV Battery reconditioning to confirm and quantify the positive impact of reconditioning effort?

Thanks.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @TMR-JWAP has used some Android based software to log & graph battery parameters as a verification of health.
    He is the best one to explain further since some of that information is scattered throughout a lengthy thread.

You will find the apps mentioned in this post. The thread is full of graphs from good & bad packs.

Just Another HV Battery Thread and Experiments | Page 2 | PriusChat

#53 Prodigyplace, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    RCO and Sanjay Goel like this.
  14. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just sent below email to Jeff. Soliciting folks opinion based on their experiences of doing this to their vehicle.

Remember this is a 2010 Highlander Hybrid...

1. Started the 1st balancing charge Friday morning at 8 AM. Initial reading was 308 Volts.

2. Thu night on the way home, used the EV mode close to home resulting in only 5 of 8 bars on the battery level meter. Causing the above lower 308 Volts - compared to the 313 Volts measured after the car was left opened up in the garage for 20 days waiting for the harness install.

3. Got home Friday evening from work at 5 pm. Reading was 342 Volts steady. Waited till 7:30 PM and noticed that it was now flickering between 341/2. Was a bit surprised on why it went lower... but decided to stop the charging and begin the 1st round of discharging.

4. Started discharging at 7:30 PM Friday. At 11 PM it was still at 275 Volts so went to bed assuming it will take a long time to get to 192 Volts. Got up at about 4 AM to check and the beeper was on and the battery voltage had bounced back to 274 Volts.

5. Instead of starting to charge right away, decided to start the discharge once again to 192 Volts. Took about 10 minutes to get from 274 Volts to 192 Volts.

6. Started the 1st charge cycle (not counting the initial charge as that was a balancing charge) at about 4:20 AM. At 8 AM it was at 308 Volts (exactly the same as at 8 AM Fri at the beginning of balance charge). So assumed that like before it should top out at about 340 Volts by 5 PM today. Right now it is still only 327 Volts and climbing very very slowly... I am confused why this difference between the charging time taken yesterday and today... The only difference is that today it is a bit warm/er - about 80 degrees compared to 70 degrees yesterday. Also considering that yesterday I was doing a balancing charge and today I was going to stop as soon as the voltage stopped rising... Seems inordinately long time compared to yesterday.

That is all for now. Will be back home about 8:30 PM tonight and carry on...

15. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    All you've said makes sense as I try my best to read between the lines.

Put your fears aside....
    it all reads fairly normal to me, even though it doesn't make sense to you yet.
    That is just how the process works.

The reason you see voltage bounce around is that it is between where it wants to go (one higher ) or stay where it is.
    Further - while charging voltage can actually decrease ( typically as charger amperage is reduced ) ( though not in your case but it does happen )

and it can take a long time for weaker cells to fully charge as stronger cells have already reached their fully charged state. 12 sometimes 24 hours
    Anyways ?!?!?

In General - Although what you see so far doesn't make sense to you yet, it will eventually as you progress through the process.
    From what I've read so far you haven't made any great errors I can see.

Again, you might want to run your concerns by someone that you trust in person.

edit: it is already known that cycling takes a long time
    To reduce that time in half cost twice as much for the more powerful and safety featured equipment.

Some have tried to do it 5 times as fast, but the results have not been good, from what I've heard from them.

#55 vvillovv, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  16. DieselHammer

DieselHammer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Contact Matt at Texas Hybrid Batteries. The guy is an amazing wealth of knowledge and more than affordable. Get it fixed right the first time.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The op's problem & this thread's roughly ½ dozen years ago - in case anyone cares
    ;)