1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New 12v and 06 Prius still wont go into "D" or "R"

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Ma Swit, Sep 12, 2018.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let's start over.

There will be codes on the car if you are getting warning lights. Once the warning lights are present, codes are stored. You should be able to get a dealer with the proper equipment to diagnose the car at that point.

Once you disconnect the 12v, your codes will get erased and there won't be any codes present. So do not disconnect the 12v if you want to retain the codes.

jerrymildred and Ma Swit like this.
  2. Ma Swit

Ma Swit New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will get to autoparts over the weekend for codes when I get the lights and engine running. Until then thanks everyone and will post when I get them.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Auto parts stores usually do not have readers that are Prius literate. The Prius has lots of proprietary hybrid error codes that other cars do not. Go ahead and try it, since it's free, but don't take them seriously if they don't give you anything useful.

Your easiest option is a bluetooth OBDII reader and the Torque app on an Android device. Even then, you may need to download the PIC codes to the phone or tablet. Carrista offers a reader and and app that I think already has the codes, but it's a little pricier. Still cheaper than the dealer.

bisco likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd say "easiest" is the dealership. They for sure have the latest Techstream. They'll likely ding you somewhere between $50 and $100, just for diagnosis. On the other hand, they're most likely to get it right, and it'll be one-stop shopping, if further parts/service is required.

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True. I meant easiest w/o spending a pile of money. I agree that the dealers is easiest and should get the most useful results the quickest.

6. Ma Swit

Ma Swit New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the HV Battery interchangeable from a 2006 to a 2005?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I bought the Carista device and basic app to use on our Gen 4, but I don't believe it fully supports Gen 2, even if you pay for the premium version. Their website shows Basic OBD2 Diagnostics are "Free", but there is an "X" next to the Advanced Diagnostics line for Gen 2. When you click the "See Pricing" button from that page, there is a message that shows Advanced Diagnostics crossed out with a note "Not Applicable for Your Toyota Prius". I was not able to get it to do anything useful when I tried to use it on our Gen 2.

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the details, Dave. (y)

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how are the codes coming along?:whistle:

11. Ma Swit

Ma Swit New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry..............had family issues to deal with so the car on back burner right now.....will let you know when I get the.
    Apologies for not saying something and leaving people hanging :(

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

#53 Skibob, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  14. Michovilleo

Michovilleo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good day all. My Toyota Prius 2005 stopped working and only works on hybrid battery as the motor engine won't start at all to charge the main battery. It moves only hybrid battery and I have changed the 12 volts battery and each time I want to start the car, the both hybrid and 12 volts drain so easily to the extent that I would have to recharge them before they can work again. I have just 110 mileage on it. The code read were
    P0a4b
    P0a09
    P0a0d
    Please any help?

15. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If your Internal Combustion Engine is not starting at all, it won't be long until your hybrid battery becomes depleted to the point of no return. You say you are charging both the 12V and hybrid battery, but I don't know of a way of charging the hybrid battery unless you are removing it from the car each time. I'm guessing you are not really doing that,so I would assume anything you are trying to do to get the car going is causing the hybrid battery to become more and more depleted.

The codes indicate that there may be a problem in the circuitry that allows the 12V to close the contacts to the hybrid battery. You probably need to check for corrosion in that area near the ECU. Possibly there is also an issue with the DC to DC converter, which allows the 12V to charge whenever the car is in the Ready mode. That would mean you need a new inverter, I believe. Perhaps someone with more specific knowledge of these codes can weigh in.