1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New guy, big problem. Led headlights were swapped!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bellman25, Oct 13, 2017.

1. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Good day to all. I’m new here and new to hybrids. For that matter I’m new to Toyota’s. I decided to get something practical and with good gas mileage. Enter the 2011 Prius. Clean, low miles, still has battery warranty...great price. Was in a small accident but no structural damage only cosmetic stuff. I plan to keep until it dies so I went for it. Whelp....first night I drove it (usually don’t drive at night) the check headlight system alert and triangle appeared. Long story short...the headlights were originally LED but changed to halogen after the accident. Soooo the alert is popping up. I have no idea how to fix. I was up all night searching forums and googling and I’m truely stuck. The small side dealer I got it from is no help as I expected. If I don’t turn the lights on no error. If I turn only the parking lights on, no error. The minute i turn on the headlights...BOOM. I tried unplugging the leveling sensor from the rear, also the ecu from behind he glove box. Didn’t matter. Anyone have any suggestions? I looked at used LED lights and they are 300-400 a side used.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Seek legal help. The "small side dealer" is responsible and should be held legally liable to fix it correctly.

Montgomery likes this.
  3. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Absolutely true. However the cost of the lawyer and time off work etc would probably nullify any potential win. I’m sure there has to be a way to get this to work. I mean everything “works” just the error message and triangle pops up and stays lit like a Xmas tree.

4. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It stays lit just like it is supposed to. Defeating that destroys the very purpose it was designed for. The right thing was not done by you. Two wrongs don't make a right. Please follow David's advice and help make sure the responsible party thinks twice before trying to screw anyone else in the future.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Montgomery likes this.
  5. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oh wow ok. So I ask for help and the “moral police” chime in? The system doesn’t have LED lights anymore so the “system” isn’t needed. Since it’s original equipment and I was mislead I’m trying to find help. It doesn’t fail state inspection and for me to sue him would in all likelihood fail because it’s not an inspection item. So, any help to get the error message off for the LED leveling system that’s no longer installed would help this new guy out quite a bit. Please note i am and have been trying to get the dealer to help and they aren’t. Until then I need to drive it because I work and paid for it.

SFO and royrose like this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lawyer up.

7. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Folks..any practical solution to get me going? A lawyer and months of litigation doesn’t solve this. They will just push “as is”, he say she say about what I was told or not told. I’ve seen judge Judy enough to know I’m hosed and no, me spending thousands to try and teach them a lesson is fool hearty. So no one can give any ideas? None, on how to get the error off?

BlackIce17 likes this.
  8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are the alerts audible and continuous?

I'll take a stab at an idea: When installing LED bulbs you need to add load resisters or fancy relays, so in this case maybe you need to remove something from the factory circuit to lessen the resistive load somewhat.

Kramah313 likes this.
  9. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes once it’s on it’s on. The error message and flashing triangle.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was this accident repair performed before you bought it?

If yes, then:
    The responsibility would have been only between the repair shop and the car owner at that time. If that owner accepted that substitution (e.g. was willing to take this tradeoff to reduce costs), then the repair shop's responsibility is over. Subsequent ownership changes would typically have been under 'suitable for intended purpose' or 'as is', with no recourse unless the most recent seller made actionable misrepresentations.

I don't believe that a pop-up alert renders a car unsuitable for its intended purpose, so legal action is likely to be throwing money down a rathole. So we should stick to ways the OP can get this alert turned off.

My only suggestion would be to search for a used set of LED lights from a scrapped Prius. What might these cost?

Montgomery, MelonPrius and JohnLS like this.
  11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If there is no alarm chiming incessantly and the lights are functional, I would try to live with it until I found affordable OEM LED lights to replace those halogens.

Of course having flashing triangles and error messages up in your face would be a visual annoyance, and one can understand the need to seek a solution if it exists.. and doesn't cost 600+ (y)

13. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Bellman. Welcome to the forum.

Interesting perdicament you're in. I have no first hand experience with this particular issue, but here are my thoughts based on my general automotive knowledge. Regardless of the type of fixture (halogen or LED) there's going to be some sort of interface with the ECU to monitor on/off and bulb-out function. Given that these two lighting options are so wildly different in terms of power draw, I can't see how a single interface could handle both. So my guess (and it is a guess) is that it's not as simple as swapping in the LED fixture/bulb, and plugging it into the halogen connector. There's likely an additional wiring harness... perhaps even a swap of a body ECU is required.

Here's how I would approach it: Folks upgrade from halogen to LED, so if you can find someone who's documented the upgrade, you may be able to reverse-engineer your way to a solution.

I Googled "2011 Prius LED Headlights".

Among the hits was THIS thread. I just glanced through the first page, but there appears to be photos and a lengthy (5 page) discussion. Maybe you can find what you need there. If so, then that covers the "how" in this problem. That leaves the simple matter of "how much".

If I remember correctly, these LED fixtures are $750 each from Toyota (ouch!). It's no wonder the PO replaced them with halogens. If it were me, I would do one of two things:
    1) Do what that member did in the link above, and piece together an LED system.
    2) Consider contacting someone who's done the LED conversion -- maybe the member from that thead -- and see if you can purchase the halogen parts from his car, and do a proper halogen conversion that doesn't trip fault codes.

Good luck... and keep us posted.

Tyfly likes this.
  14. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Your synopsis is completely accurate which brings me here. I’ve tried everything I can think of and I’m fresh out of ideas. Event the used lights go for $400 plus (the cheaper ones after further inspection weere guts or otherwise hacked into). The flashing triangle makes it hard to drive because it’s supee distracting. I’m surprised that’s legal. The error message covers the entire hybrid monitor and keeps coming back. Lesson learned I guess.

15. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the input. From all I’ve found it’s the auto leveling system that’s throwing the errors. If that’s the case, is there a way to jumper the harnes or fool the system to think the leveling lights are still there...and again...the led lights are gone so the leveling system is not needed and wouldn’t be installed on the halogen car so there is no saftey or “blinding” by disabling it on my car.

I have plenty of experience with Dodge and this is my first Toyota.

16. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My guess (and I stress the word guess) is that the required harness would address that.

17. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The halogen harness? It’s all wired to the headlamp leveling ecu. I thought about that and figured it would still tell the computer something is missing. I was thinking if I got the self levelers and plugged them in maybe the computer would think all was ok? I’m grasping at straws smh.

18. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Anyone know what would happen if I wire the headlights to the driving lights so when I turn the driving lights on the headlights come on also?

19. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Or...I came across a new body control module for vehicles without led headlights and sunroof...which applies to my car. I wonder if I got this would it work? It’s $380 and I’m sure it would cost a couple hundred to have it programmed. Even then I’m less money in than 1 led headlight. Any thoughts?

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As far as I know, there isn't any programming involved in swapping a Body ECU.

You can pull up the wiring diagrams at techinfo.toyota.com. They show the variations between trim/option levels as to what wires and connectors are and are not present in the harnesses. My guess would be that the Body ECU connector pinouts do not change much
    (really, the ECU itself pretty much attaches to the "instrument panel junction block" and the harnesses generally attach to that). If only some headlight-leveling/moonroof-related circuits are not there and the pinouts are otherwise the same, I'd guess your chances would be pretty good. It would be an interesting experiment, at least.

-Chap

SFO likes this.