1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New owner, 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Slicer89, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Slicer89

Slicer89 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Yeah. It has the bottom one. One halogen reflector based high beam, and projector based low beam.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I added after you posted, but the other small bulb you are talking about is the parking light.

You've got a IV most likely.

3. Slicer89

Slicer89 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well thanks. The lights now seem to be pretty good, Though I am looking into upgrading the bulbs to a better halogen.

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No problem. Don't waste your time and money upgrading the halogen bulbs. Just do a good HID kit. There are TONS of threads here about HID kits in the accessories and mods sub forum.

Here's a link to just one very recent thread, but there are ALOT more: I finally ordered HID headlights... Some questions. | PriusChat

I personally wouldn't go 6000K as they're too blue and put less light on the road than say 4300-5000K but everyone has their own color preferences.

5. Slicer89

Slicer89 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was thinking about going HID, But with the squirrel finders I am afraid it will cause more glare than they do now - I've retrofitted vehicles in the past with true HID projectors, But with this car being this new I don't want to crack open the headlights to change out the OEM projectors for True HID.

If I do get HIDs, I will get them from TheRetroFitSource because their bulbs have better alignment, better quality capsules and better UV protection (Meaning less likely to fry the projector bowls)

6. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When I changed out the Halogens in my Volt with HID I used TheRetrofitSource Morimotos and swore by them, still would. I'm not current on it but I think people have had ground wire shadows with the Morimoto bulbs on here. On the Volt you'd get them if you didn't flip the bulb a certain way from what I remember. Anyways, good luck. I wouldn't worry about slapping a good HID kit in the Prius, you'll be fine.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    TRS sells Morimoto H11b bulbs with the ground wire in the proper position to prevent the ground shadow.

OP, I had H9 halogen bulbs in the Prius for over a year. It's about a 50% improvement in warm, usable light output over H11 bulbs.

I did the HID upgrade recently, but I did block the squirrel finder cutouts to prevent excessive glare.

8. Slicer89

Slicer89 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Yeah. Those were the ones I was looking at. I am a fairly active member on HIDplanet and those were the recommended bulbs for the Prius.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Edited my post above.

Using 4300K color temp. Big difference in light output over the H9s.

10. Slicer89

Slicer89 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I really don't want to open the headlight assemblies, That's why I was thinking about the H9 upgrade.... HIDs would be nice, but I don't want to or can't really open the headlights to block the squirrel finder.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can see it in an earlier post by Paradox, but the windshield washer would define it as a V. Our Canadian Touring is similar. The little cap on bumper houses the washer nozzle:

image.jpeg

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I blocked the squirrel finders without opening the headlights. All done through the bulb mounting hole with a small piece of aluminum flashing and JB Weld. You do have to remove the headlights from the car to do it.

13. Slicer89

Slicer89 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's really up to her if she'd want me to do it, It's her car after all.. Not mine - I'm just trying to get her reassurance that just because it's alot more digital and computer controlled, it isn't gonna die as easily... Also trying to get her better night visibility.

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I highly recommend the H9 bulb upgrade, link in my signature below. Look for the video at the end of the thread. Use high quality name brand clear capsule bulbs like philips or osram.