1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Owner - Multiple Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AlohaPrius2005, Aug 2, 2017.

1. AlohaPrius2005

AlohaPrius2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aloha from Hawaii,

My wife and I just purchased a 2005 Prius with 60,000 miles from a Toyota dealership. Up until recently the car had been driving fine until last week. We had what appeared to be a 12 volt battery issue and I jumped it with my other car. For some reason all the dash lights came on and the car wasn't starting. The jump seem to work but the problems came back last night.
    I've been skimming through the Forum and I found issues related to what I'm dealing with but not all in one just in pieces. Overall here is what is happening with the car from what I can see:

1) the key fob no longer unlocks/locks with the buttons. It recognizes when you are near and unlocks the driver and passenger door if you pull the handle. If I push the exterior handle button once it will lock as well but again the buttons on the fob aren't working, replaced the battery and still the same.

2) the battery is running down to the final bar and will not hold a charge. Idled in my parking lot last night for about 10 minutes and got it to get in the blue but then it immediately jumped back down to purple.

3) all of the dash lights are on, the touch screen as well has the car symbol with an exclamation point. (VCS, oil, (!))

4) it seems to be only running on fuel but has no problem starting at the moment. I had a friend in town yesterday who thought I would be funny while driving to shift the gear to B, I am assuming that means battery only. Nothing happened I just put the car back in Drive and continued on. The following day today, the car is now acting up.

I personally don't want to drive the car around with all the dash lights on even though I know it's running on fuel and moving about fine. I'm going to go get it diagnostic tested I wanted to see if I can get some insight from all of you before I possibly get ripped off by a mechanic.

Are there any tips and tricks of what I can do from home to test the car, reset any Diagnostics, and see if it's just a glitch in the system. The first time when I jumped it it seemed more as if the issue was communication with the key fob and the battery which ultimately drained the 12-volt, it didn't seem to recognize that my foot was on the brake when I was pressing start and I did use the e-brake once before which seems to contribute to the problem. This again is all speculation as I've never owned a EV vehicle.
    Any advisor information and questions would greatly help. Thank you all.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome. it sounds like you have a bad 12 volt, and bad hybrid battery, but you'll need a prius scanner to pull the trouble codes.
    as for the fob, have you tried a new battery? does the second fob work properly?

you can make sure the brake switch is working properly if the brake lights come on.

3. AlohaPrius2005

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Bisco,
    I actually just returned from a certified mechanic shop near my house and had them run the codes. He said it read P0A80 and more specifically POA82. I read a forum chat that you were involved in where others had suggested to that OP he change his 12V and check the filter. Easy to do and relatively cheap vs the alternative but my gut tells me it's the HV battery.
    If that's the case then my question is a $2800 ballpark quote from this mechanic to repair the bad cell, a week in the shop, and no guarantee that the battery will be 100% after, is that a fair price? I saw someone said the cell itself costs $40. Sounds like $2k worth of labor to sit connected to a machine is a bit heavy unless I'm wrong. Is it also unlikely to fix myself? I have no experience with lithium but don't mind if it's fairly simple unless I need specialized equipment.
    Thanks.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A car with that few miles, you should get a brand new battery from Toyota, not a repaired one

m.wynn, M in KC and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. AlohaPrius2005

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed but pre-owned as is sale. Unless I can find a recall or if there is a warranty I'm unaware I'd be happy to pursue that end.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My meaning is you should PAY for a new one. Don't buy refurbished. Here in the mainland, Toyota would most likely chip in a goodwill warranty for the replacement. In Hawaii, it may be different

#6 JC91006, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    edthefox5 likes this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wjtracy likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hmm...well it is uncharted territory

10. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you find the right person you should pay no more than $400....They are making a killing on repairing one bad cell.

You can try searching for shops and mechanics in the craigslist automotive section.....or you can try the craigslist "gigs---->labor" section where you post your job (repair 1 bad cell in prius battery) and put $400 as compensation...Chances are someone will contact you....And start calling shops because that quote is too high.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know things are different in hawaii, so it's tough to make any recommendations. i would price out a new battery as jc mentions above. they are $2,600. here plus install.
    the chemistry is nickel metal hydride, not lithium, but that doesn't really matter. whether you can do it yourself depends on you. lot's of newbies do, but you have to be very careful of th high voltage, and follow instructions carefully. there are plentyy of helpful threads here.

with any rebuild, you have to be prepared to redo it at any time, whether it's you, or a so called expert. there's no such thing as a reliable rebuild, you can win a few skirmishes, but not the war.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Did you ever do the 12V swap? If so, did the problems persist?

That'd be the first step for an issue like this, as bisco stated. Until then, I wouldn't necessarily trust the codes that are thrown. The 12V can do some wonky things.

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have an '06 with only 50k miles. Here's my tale: My P0A080 fault code and battery rebuild | PriusChat Cliff notes version: read posts #1 and 31.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P0A82 indicates a problem with the HV battery cooling fan, this in turn could set the P0A80 due to the HV battery getting hot and not being able to be cooled. Poor cooling could cause irreparable damage, particularly in an older HV battery. You may get lucky by inspecting and cleaning the HV battery cooling fan, situated in the RR fender, tucked up above and forward of the 12 V battery.
    No, it is absolutely not a good price, given that it is so close to a completely new Toyota OEM HV battery, and given the mechanic is completely spot on regards to the reliability and longevity of the repair – it likely will not last long.
    Good point on which to feedback.
    Although this appears to be the case, the usual cause is low voltage on the 12 V bus drawn off by the various ECU's. It is usually obvious if you look a the freeze frame data of the codes thrown. The HV battery codes, don't usually have the LV bus as input, so likely those are genuine. As I said above, check the HV battery cooling fan.

m.wynn likes this.
  15. AlohaPrius2005

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Going to swap the 12v and check the fan this evening, I'll post my outcome afterwards.
    Regarding the listing of people who successfully received a Goodwill Warranty, Toyota US stated they don't consider Hawaii as US... So that's dead evidently. Also the phone number on that post is no longer valid, just an FYI.
    The dealership called me and said they would take half off and do it for $3600, not bad but painful. Another mechanic said $2500 for a refurbished with a 3 year warranty, given I'm living in Hawaii and the struggle financially is real I may go that direction if the 12v doesn't work or the fan.
    I'm not going to dive into doing it myself as ally automotive experience is with 1990s and older, don't want to bother it or kill myself :)
    Any experience with I think it's called Cardone refurbished batteries? That's what the $2500 quote is for. The rebuild mechanic was $2700-$2900, same battery, new cell, 1 year warranty so I'm going to ax that option.
    Thanks everyone for all your replies.

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota Motor Sales USA sells Toyota vehicles in the 48 contiguous US states and Alaska.

Hawaii is covered by Servco Pacific, which is a distributorship on the same organizational level as TMS USA (although obviously much smaller in size.) Hence TMS USA has no reason to offer help outside the stated warranty, for a vehicle sold by a Servco Pacific dealership.

However if your Servco Pacific-sold Toyota needed warranty assistance on the mainland US, then TMS USA would step up to that warranty obligation. I've taken advantage of that on a number of occasions as three of my Prius originally were sold by Servco Pacific dealers.

Similarly, Guam and Puerto Rico are served by other tiny Toyota distributorships, look at the label on an original Toyota battery if you require details.

Back to the OP's original question about a failed hybrid battery - I believe it is a bad choice and false economy to buy any refurbished battery.

See if you can get a 3G used traction battery from a local salvage yard and if so, transfer the 28 modules into your car's traction battery case. If that cannot be done then you would be far better off coming up with the additional funds to buy a new Toyota traction battery.

Or, sell the car as-is and cut your losses.

JC91006 likes this.
  17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    3G batteries are not really much better, I'm predicting my 2010 3G battery will fail this coming year. Something about the engineering of the 3G cars that seem to work the batteries a lot more than in 2G cars. Work the batteries harder to get the extra mpg?