1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEW!!! Service Bulletin for Engine Knocking at Startup T-SB 0012-10

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by seilerts, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, do we know why the previous gen Prius didn't have the issue?

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Possibly because 1st Gen had the 1.5L engine and 2nd Gen has the 1.8L?

3. Charlie Bravo

Charlie Bravo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I took my Prius to Bohn Brothers Toyota in Harvey, LA. I informed them my car had started rough after sitting. After a 2 hour inspection, I was informed that despite meeting the criteria of the TSB, they could not replace the IM because they could not duplicate the environmental conditions (40 degrees F) since I live in New Orleans. Apparently, Toyota won't honor the Power Train Warrenty in this case since I live in the south. Very disappointed with Toyota right now.

4. mtbiker53

mtbiker53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Follow up.

E-mail and call to Toyota Corp got the standard response but directed me to the Service Mgr. This morning after work dropped by with copy and case # which opened the door. Was asked if could leave car up to a week and provided a free loaner. Field Tech has been tagged and they will call with results.

As with anything there is protocol to follow. Already miss my Sound System.

6. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Using your logic, 2.4L in Camry hybrid shouldn't knock, yet it does.
    Do you have a better explanation?

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, they are just two different motors. Why should they both have the same problem? That's why I started with Possibly and ended with a question mark. Sorry, don't know anything about the 2.4L in the Camry Hybrid.

8. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At one time we had a Mazda Miata that exhibited this problem on Monday mornings everytime it was moved to the driveway to be washed on a Sunday.
    Our solution to the problem was to trade the Miata.
    It is possible that the fuel injectors are getting 'gummed up' by the moisture in the E10 fuel and partial warm-up cycle on the ICE. Heet fuel treatment could be supressing the gum formation.
    A possible fix to try ( if a new Gen3 that I am planing to purchase exhibits the problem) is to use a set of injectors from a Gen2 if they will fit after making sure that they have not been sitting around. The injectors used by the Gen2 do not exhibit this sticky problem seemingly 'by design'.

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not touching that one.

10. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I poured a half can of Sea foam today. Has anyone used the sea foam before? I've used it extensively on my Subaru and Matrix in the past without any problem.

11. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why?

12. Rassah

Rassah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey, I just joined the club! :) Thankfully, I've been reading PC forums A LOT lately, especially the problems section to know what maintenance I may need and what to be aware of, so when it started rattling and shaking, it startled me, but being aware of this problem I wasn't too freaked out. It calmed down after about 10 seconds, and just ran a bit rough until it warmed up. I have a free service coming up probably mid next month, and will at least mention this to the mechanic to have them put it on my record, but probably won't pursue it until it does it again (probably come next winter). Either way, thanks for all the info, both with regards to the cause of the problem, and with regards to how much of a PITA is it to bother getting it resolved.

13. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Turns out I was incorrect. The issue exists in gen 1:

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Got my car back this morning. They did the engine mount T-SB-0204-11, not the intake. I did notice a slight reduction in vibration during normal start. Will report more after a few cycles. No joy getting T-SB-0012-10 C/W.

spiderman likes this.
  15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yo Fro, I got the mount too and it did help the vibration during starts. Seems like the new mount isn't much better as it seems the vibration is back (hard to tell really though).

Sorry they didn't do the I/M but it seems like they haven't produced a viable one anyway.

16. JStrenk

JStrenk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I just joined the ranks of a knocking engine this morning.
    I started the car, got out to Close the garage door and it started knocking. The MIL light was on buit I thought that maybe it was because I was out of the car with the key.

Will check tonight.

17. sophie999

sophie999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I just had my intake manifold changed. The knocking happened about 3 times during the last 2 years, but once I was able to video record the process on my cell. The local dealer techs said they have never seen this before, but did send the video to CA office engineer. They told me it is one of two things, and after 2 hour testing told me they would replace the manifold.

Not sure if the rough starts are over, as it does not happen often. Still has some vibrations on cold starts.

However.....

What has happened though, is that the switch from the electric motor to ICE while driving has become VERY SMOOTH. I have complained before several times that when I drive on electric only and ICE comes on, especially while turning or driving uphill, there was strong vibration felt in the accelerator pedal. I was told this is normal. Had a rental prius, and it was also vibrating, but not quite as bad. The vibrations are worse during winter.

Now, the car is as smooth as butter. Cannot even feel when the ICE engages. What a difference!!!! Absolute pleasure to drive!!!

Hope that helps.

Sophie

18. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yah, right!
    All they need to do is to watch youtube.

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Trust me...they know.

20. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I wouldn't bother with the TSB it doesn't fix the issue.