1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New TSB for EGR and gaskets (TSB 00-27-16)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by reedog117, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This one I think:

missing under light throttle

Still, I wonder about the component at the beginning of that circuit, the one that connects to the exhaust manifold. It has four connecting coolant hoses, and is basically a radiator inside, with intricate finning, that can clog and be near impossible to clean.

Here you can see the component I mean, highlighted in yellow. The "egr pipe" is connecting to the left side of it, you can see that in the exploded pic:

Capture.JPG

It's name in the diagram (cut off) is EGR COOLER SUB-ASSEMBLY.

tajlano likes this.
  2. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The EGR cooler shouldn't be impossible to clean. Mendel, you should remember the post (#55) by ou812 in the thread because you liked it:

Not just another p0401.. PICS! | Page 3 | PriusChat

ou812 used a warm parts washer with a hose to run solvent through the cooler overnight. Earlier in that thread, khoda355 found out that just letting the EGR cooler sit in solvent overnight doesn't clean the deposits.

Here's a video of a huge Cummins diesel EGR cooler being cleaned.

Note that the same technique of running solvent through the cooler being used. Here's some EGR cleaner solvent on amazon:

I'm waiting for someone to post details or a video on running solvent through the EGR cooler and EGR valve, instead of just replacing them, because I'm going to have to do this soon. Maybe it could be done in a 5 gallon bucket with a cheap submersible pump and some tubing.

Maybe some clamps like these could be used to seal off the coolant lines:
    Plastic Hemostat Line Tube Clamp Green Lot of 5 | eBay

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It'd be interesting to know what that cleaner is, and I'm guessing the answer isn't very nice. :(

In the video you can see the stuff streaming out of the connections at the end, and about halfway through, off-camera, it sounds like the spilling volume trebles, lol.

I do not know, if this catches on is it going to mess up a lot of streams??

Think I'd rather just put in a new one. Ultimately, I wish they could delete this whole system, work out something better.

#23 Mendel Leisk, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  4. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like duct taped connections to me. :eek: For that company's website and click on their EGR cleaning blog page, they say that their product is citrus based, with surfactants and corrosion inhibitors. They could have contained spillage with a kiddie pool or something like that, but it sounds like it's not hazardous, and certainly better than brake cleaner. The main page for the company says that they provide "sustainable water solutions" and are "eco friendly". I have no idea about the qualities of the Chrysler product that I found on amazon.

If I were to try this, it shouldn't be hard to not to spill the solvent all over because the Prius EGR valve and cooler is much smaller. I'll have to look under my hood again to see the size of the EGR cooler and valve, but I was thinking that it could be put into a plastic basin, tub, or bucket. Then submerge it in the cleaner and water mix, and rig up a small pump to circulate it through EGR, with everything contained in that one tub. Something like the 12V plastic pumps that I used to use to develop and sample shallower 2" monitoring wells would be perfect. If I still worked my old job, I'd borrow an old one that was going into the trash. Something like this: www.proactivepumps.com Since I don't have access to this stuff anymore, I'd look for a cheaper alternative.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Search Amazon for "fountain pump," and they have all sizes of submersible fluid pumps, starting at about $10. As long as the cleaning solvent doesn't harm the pump, it should work fine.

6. Ginto

Ginto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I have this issue... cleaned everything after the EGR valve using information people posted. (Thanks! big help and money savings) Check Engine light came on again today after about 1000 miles from cleaning the intake. I wanted to remove and clean the Valve I like the pic above. I need tools to get to the nuts up high as what I have will no get in there. What wrenches have been used is there a write up of removing the valve similar to the one for cleaning the intake? Much appreciated. The valve is $300 bucks and toss in labor that job could be over $600 that I do not want to spend if I have to get a little greasy.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can promise you this, if the Prius EGR System turns into a problem child like my 2006 VW Beetle TDI did...I'm deleting the whole thing.

On the 1.9L BEW I removed all hardware, cleaned the intake, purchased two gaskets and a hose assy, reassembled with two blocking plates made at work and had a software delete done for the engine light...all totaling about $180. Would have been +$2,000 in parts alone from VW for a system that would fail again...and the engine loved me after that. Unfortunately the rest of this particular VW was a POS, so I sold it...and right before smog-gate happened...thankfully. :whistle:

8. Ginto

Ginto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Problem here in CA is these are coming due for smog (mien will be do this summer).... I cannot just take the EGR out nor can I ignore and keep clearing. The valve must be cleaned or changed.

9. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I though you were an engineer, so tell me what happens when you block EGR in petrol engine? As far as I know there are two distinct differences why there is EGR in diesel engine and why do we have them in petrol engine.

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The emissions warranty on cars is very long in California. On the Prius, and I think all California cars, if your car fails smog test, the warranty will repair it for ten years or 150,000 miles. Check and see if your car is still warranted.

#30 Rebound, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The EGR system is designed "in theory" to slightly reduce the total net production of pollutants when sampled on a time average...gas or diesel. Problem is the system sometimes cause more problems than it supposedly fixes...especially with diesels. All indication thus far "do not indicate" the Prius 1.8L engines have "the same" EGR issue my TDI had, though some have "speculated" the cold start rumble may be related.

Good catch Rebound...for those that have CARB vehicles.

12. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well, "in practice", EGR also mitigates pre-ignition and increases fuel efficiency (in gassers).

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not if the software delete is performed...but it's academic anyway because the Gen III Prius 1.8L has not shown to have the issues the VW TDI had...as I stated.

14. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    tell more, i'm all ears.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That maxim can be applied to a few more items, TPMS for instance.

tajlano likes this.
  16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    friendly...Do you want to hear about my experience or is this going to turn into something to be discussed on the dark side?

17. Ginto

Ginto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rebound... .I have 173K miles.... that is the only reason I would tackle this myself, or pay someone to fix it. Thanks though I wish the light came on sooner.

18. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a report here o Priuschat of UK model Prius that misfired or knocked heavily, when EGR was taken OFF it was found to be blinded by a metal plate. A usual diesel solution to EGR problem but it had a very negative effect on Prius gas engine.

So please enlighten me how would you theoretically solve that issue with no EGR?

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't write code, but Malone handled that for my TDI. Have not done the research required to fool the Prius computers and won't unless it becomes needed. The EGR is a smog device. While required by law, it's not required to run the engine.

20. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are wrong, in diesel engine EGR is indeed smog device, we are trying to tell you that in petrol engine it also gives you higher compression.

Here is a source for you to read:
    Cooled EGR shows benefits for gasoline engines - SAE International

"Mixing exhaust with the intake air lowers combustion temperatures and rates .... It also reduces the knock limit, providing better fuel economy through higher compression ratios and/or spark advance."

If no exhaust gas is recirculated in petrol engine that was designed with aggressive EGR it will simply knock.