1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Pdaddy

Pdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2010 with 130,000 miles has no heat. I had it flushed at the dealer and recall work done last June as part of the maintenance sched and did not try to use the heat until a few weeks ago. I have taken it to the dealer twice. They have in order bled the coolant system, replaced the coolant and then changed the thermostat at the second visit. The catch is that each time they have done this the heat returns and by the next day or so the heat is gone--It has not been very cold yet so we have not needed to use the heat every day. I am wondering if the system is hard to bleed? Can someone provide a list of things to check?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's most likely air in the system. The dealer should be responsible for this.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes the system can be hard to bleed. unfortunately, you have to go back again, and persist with them.

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    As the other fellows mentioned, must be some air trapped in the system :unsure:

5. Pdaddy

Pdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What about temp sensors? Do they regulate coolant or air flow over the heater core?

6. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Just one thing to eliminate:

Try looking for a slow leak that could be creating an ever increasing air pocket. I'm thinking probably why it heats ok initially but fails later. If your windshield is sweating or fogging incessantly, could be your heater core if they pressure tested your system and busted your core instead (i hope not, a pain to fix as you have to remove the entire dash board).

If not check the lowest rubber hose from the radiator where they could have drained the coolant. It might not have been returned properly or damaged the hose. Look for drips carefully specially when car is warm, leak occurs more when the system is hot and pressurized. A single coolant colored drip (not caused by filling spill) in fittings or under driveway or undercarriage plastic is enough to indicate a leak.

Mendel Leisk and JC91006 like this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I think there could also be a leak in your system, introducing air into the pressurized sealed unit.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you hit any small animals or had a small front end collision lately? Even just a parking shunt could split the radiator or put a hairline crack in the cooling system somewhere - probably near the front.

Failing that, what's the condition of the oil in the car? Have a look at the inside of the oil cap - is there any mayonnaise type stuff there? I'm wondering if your cylinder head has gone.

9. Pdaddy

Pdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What about temp sensors? Do they regulate coolant or air flow over the heater core?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there might be a diverter valve?

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Does the level of coolant in the reservoir drop after a service ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Find a steep hill or get pair of ramps, get the car to operating temperature put the car in inspection mode this will force the engine to run continuously, drive up the hill or ramps with the front been elevated and turn on the heater, stay there for 2-5 mins, this should help get the air to burp up. It works every time when i change my cars coolant.

Lifetime01 and Pdaddy like this.
  13. Starship_Enterprius

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    This is good advise also!

Not sure if you can do it also with the Prius, this car is new to me. But in my previous cars when i do this, i start out with the radiator cap off with the engine cold and the front part on ramps (or pointing up my driveway) and wait until the engine starts getting warm. Then i turn heat to High and the fans full blast and watch the air bubble up the radiator hole. At full temp, i massage coolant hoses (with gloves) specially the top ones and those that has portions that arches up, until all air is out.

#13 Starship_Enterprius, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  14. Pdaddy

Pdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have found out that I have a blend door problem on my 2010 and no heat as a result. The dealer wants $2600 to fix the problem including 8 hrs labor. This is not an actuator problem but a failure in the ststem dealing with the blend doors and their is no replacement part other than replacing the entire air heating cooling core case costing $1800. The dealer said that the manufacturer said that there have only been three vehicles (only Gen 111 and maybe only for heat) that have had this problem. The dealer said they asked Toyota to cover the repair and was turned down. I am planning to talk to Toyota corp myself--any advise?

Read more: Air Con only works on left vents | PriusChat
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

#14 Pdaddy, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    The Critic likes this.
  15. Pdaddy

Pdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    anyone have a suggestion where to get a used HVAC Evaporator Core with housing (part # 87050-47150 the entire heating cooling core with housing?). I live in Ohio and have only found Prius being parted out in California.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you try ebay?

17. Pdaddy

Pdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am a bit afraid to use eBay for something like this. Ideally I would like to find a business that has a reputation and can tell me a little about the car that was salvaged (mileage and damage). This will cost me $1000 to have installed and if there is a problem with the part I will have to pay it all over again. Do you have any advise for for working with an eBay vendor?

18. Pdaddy

Pdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I could manually adjust the blend door for heat that would buy me a lot of time..anyone know if these area accessible in any way from the vents on the side of the HVAC housing?

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Check with autobeyours.com for advice and parts

Pdaddy likes this.
  20. Starship_Enterprius

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime