1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Noise by drivers side seat belt adjuster

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Michelle T., Jun 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Michelle T.

Michelle T. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Everyone,

I have a 2019 Prius Prime with about 41000 miles. Yesterday I started hearing an intermittent, high pitched, almost staticky/electronic noise coming from my drivers side by the seatbelt adjuster. The noise isn’t very loud. The only thing I can think of is it’s coming from the side airbag. It definitely isn’t coming from the speaker in the door or the vent. Has anyone had any problems or know what this could be? Thanks!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, I doubt it's the airbag. By "seatbelt adjuster" do you mean the anchor point on the B pillar above your shoulder that you can move up and down? (I assume it's like that in the Prime ... correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm extrapolating from a Gen 3.)

If you squeeze your ears in between the seat and the pillar, can you pin down that the sound seems to come from the direction of the seat or the direction of the pillar?

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Does the noise happen at any time, only when the car is moving, or only when the car is stopped?

Does the noise happen only with the car in READY, or also in the other power switch modes (Ignition On, Accessory, or Off) (Owner’s Manual (PDF), page 334)? If you test this, I’d suggest waiting a minute or so after each change of mode, in case whatever’s causing the noise takes time to start or stop.

Does the noise change if you turn the air conditioning fan off?

4. Michelle T.

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, that is exactly where the noise is coming from…the pillar.

5. Michelle T.

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

6. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I used to have a car that did that and it took me awhile to figure out it was the seat belt pulley. Every time my body shifted just a little the pulley would squeak. When it's very quiet in the car try pulling and releasing the seat belt just an inch or two ... slowly.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The pillar trim is usually not at all hard to remove. I don't have a Prime, but on my Gen 3 it's just a matter of pulling the rubber door opening weatherstrip away from the pillar edges and the bottom (sill) edges, popping up the plastic sills for the front and rear doors, then popping out the lower pillar trim. On mine that has to be first because it exposes a little bolt at the bottom of the upper pillar trim, which can then also be popped out once that bolt's removed.

That should give you easy access with a mechanics' stethoscope (they're cheap) to everything back there.

You may notice some things with wiring connected to them that is bright yellow. Don't disturb any bright yellow wiring while removing trim or poking around for the noise. Yellow wiring is part of the airbag and seatbelt-tensioning systems, and any safe manipulation of that wiring requires removing the car's 12 volt power and waiting a prescribed period. You shouldn't need to mess with any of that just to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.