1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OBD II Wireless Adapter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Grandpa Gone Wild, May 30, 2013.

1. Grandpa Gone Wild

Grandpa Gone Wild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which adapter is best for Torque app ?
    WiFi or Bluetooth ?
    Where did you buy and what brand ?

2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Can't say its the best, but I've had nothing but good things to say about my setup.

Modding My 2008 Touring...."JustDidIt" | Page 8 | PriusChat

Finally mounted and hardwired my extra android phone I had laying around with the Torque app. The ELM327 ($24) I leave plugged into the car. Even with my size 12 shoe, it doesn't interfere with my driving sticking out of the bottom of the dash. Used the GA-NHWC3 found on Amazon for $15 but eBay for $12 with free shipping.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Tapped into the power cigarette lighter at the base of the dash. However this is not an 'Always on' power source so I may look into an alternate power source...or just be more conscious effort of turning off the phone when I leave the car so it doesn't drain the phones battery.

Current PIDS showing RPM, Throttle position %, Coolant Temp, Ambient Air Temp, Intake Air Temp, MAF CFMs and Timing advance displays.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daves09prius and minkus like this.
  3. Grandpa Gone Wild

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks..........Looks like a neat setup. I can't get consistent results using the MFD. It is close sometimes and extreme swings when I check against my Fillup/Miles driven. Hard to tell if my manipulations while driving are working or not. :confused:

4. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I used the same adapter Justdidit had. I unplug it when not in use, because I'm afraid of it draining the battery. I think this is what causes me to have to re-pair the adapter to my phone, though. I have a Prius C, and for that I'd recommend getting the mini version of the adapter. Not sure where the OBDII port is on the liftback, but I kick the ELM327 when getting out of the car and I'm afraid of breaking my ODBII port. Justdidit said that one's fine for the liftback, though.

I have the same adapter but I'm concerned about leaving it plugged into my c all the time. Would this cause excessive wear on the 12V battery, or does it draw so little power that it wouldn't be a problem unless it was plugged into a car that wasn't turned on for weeks?

5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Not sure where the OBD port is on the PriusC but for the Gen2 Prius even with my large foot, I don't kick the adapter as I leave the adapter in all the time. As far as draining the 12v battery, I highly doubt it would for normal daily use, but as u said, you leave the off for a few weeks...in that case, I'd remove the display and adapter for fear of theft AND draining the battery if left off for several weeks...But for daily use.... Never had a problem.

minkus likes this.
  6. Grandpa Gone Wild

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would let mine be wired to cut off when car is off.............Old age :giggle:

7. Arn

Arn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also have an ELM 327. ported in my OBD2 port. I have an android phone with a torque app @ around 5 dollars. The cool thing is I can now receive notifications using the autotalky platform for free.

8. Arn

Arn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Use the autotalky platfrom on the web for your car to notify you of the parameters you want monitored. You can add your mechanic too so he will have a historical data of what went wrong with your in in case.

9. Jeffermania

Jeffermania Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used the BAFX Products OBD2 Bluetooth Reader. It seems to work fine and there are no data delay problems. I got it for $22 on Amazon (
    ) . It works well with the Torque Pro app.

I originally tried a cheaper version "OBDII Wifi Adapter" that I got from Walmart for $11. It was a piece of junk. It actually caused about a half dozen DTC codes to appear and the check engine light and the red triangle of death. After I cleared the codes, I got the engine running again and I plugged the cheap OBDII adapter in and it actually caused the engine to stop running!. Ugh...slightly scary moment. Anyway, I just cleared the codes again and ordered the BAFX adapter and it works perfectly.