1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

**Oil pan plastic cover help**

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Winky_86, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Winky_86

Winky_86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hello everyone,

I recently got a used 2018 prius prime premium and went to do my oil change a noticed the plastic cover that goes over the oil pan and filter is missing. I've searched online on where to buy one and can't find it. Anyone know the name of the part or a link to buy one? Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. I think this is what you're looking for.
    https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-engine-cover-5140747010?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9c3BsYXNoLXNoaWVsZHMmbD05Jm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9dG95b3RhJm89cHJpdXMtcHJpbWUmeT0yMDE3JnQ9cHJlbWl1bSZlPTEtOGwtbDQtZWxlY3RyaWMtZ2Fz
    At least I'm pretty sure. I'd call to verify because the picture is kind of small.

Or just mosey on over to your local Toyota dealer and they will look it up and order it. Probably quicker that way and most likely not much more money.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  4. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Btw, use Mobil1 0W-16. Walmart sells the 5gallon container.
    The engine takes ~4.5 quarts.
    Do not overfill!
    The Car Care Nut (Master Toyota Technician), says that when the engine is cold, the oil level will be a little lower.

Iirc, your engine is near the year that Toyota went back to a metal can filter.
    That metal can oil filter does not take any "generic standard size" oil socket. Some will work, but they will still be either too big, or too small.

Good Luck!

#4 prius16, Oct 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  5. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The correct oil filter wrench is:

Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PK3AG/
    Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY 640 Oil Filter Socket Wrench for Toyota/Lexus
    Brand: AST (Assenmacher Specialty Tools)
    $32.74

The above does perfectly fit Toyota can oil filters, bought directly from a Toyota dealership.
    Yea, it's not "cheap". But, it'll last forever.
    And, is much cheaper than the disposable oil and filter (5K miles or 6 months - which ever comes sooner) that you'll use for an oil change.
    So, for an ~10 year use of the car, that ~$33 wrench would get used ~20+ times. Verses the ~$800 to $1,000 spent on oil and filters in ~10 years.

Btw, Mobile1 0W-16, does meet all of the Toyota oil standards requirements.

Good Luck!

#5 prius16, Oct 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  6. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If it's a 2018, 10W-20 is recommended engine oil. 0W-16 started in 2020.

Winky_86 likes this.
  7. Winky_86

Winky_86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Wow great community here, thanks for all the advice and the links! I did read a big thread on the debate weather to use OW16 or OW20 for oil. The oil cap on my prius prime says OW20 so I feel I should go with that?

Doug McC and FuelMiser like this.
  8. Winky_86

Winky_86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Also, I'm fairly new to EV's, I drive a fairly short distance to work everyday and my charge usually lasts the whole drive and I also charge again and at work, so driving home I'm also using electricity. I want to change the oil every 5k Miles, but if I'm always driving on electricity is the engine not being used much, therefore not really being driving 5k Miles? The oil in the car is still a very good color and looks clean. Hope that all Made sense, just not sure if it's a good rule of thumb to always change oil every 5k Miles even if you always drive on electricity and don't really use the engine.

9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I believe the oil specified is actually 0w20
    I switched to 5w20 on my late 2016 Prius C, when it began burning a quart every 10K, @ around 65K miles. The oil burn slowed to less than a pint between oil changes. I live where temperatures only dip below freezing for a few hours at night, in the winter months. I don't have to worry about the oil turning into molasses.

Hope this helps..

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Honda's automotive oil filter socket is also a perfect match,, very heavy gauge, stamped steel. AFAIK, Toyota, Honda and Mazda are all on the same page now with oil filter dimensions. I'm using my Honda socket on all 3 makes.

Filter info:

14 faces
    64.1 mm face-to-face

Sockets with an inside face-to-face around 64.5 mm seem ideal.

11. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In America, it's actually 2019, when Toyota switched to recommending 0W-16.

Dealership used 0W16 instead of 0W20 for my 2017, is that fine? | PriusChat

As is mentioned in the thread, for various reasons, Toyota recommend 0W-16 use in America, years after they were recommending it in other countries.
    Now, 0W-16 is what many/most Toyota dealerships use for those, and other, engines.
    Still, for me, I would stick to what the owners manual said. Unless, someone can point to a TSB from Toyota, showing their change in oil recommendation. There very likely is one. But, very likely is not the same as "TSB XXXXX.XXX says .....". :)

12. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Changing oil every 5K when zero is on the gas engine is ludicrous. But so is putting zero miles on the gas engine. You don't have a BEV, you have a hybrid, so you will want to "force" the engine to operate on a regular basis (hybrid/charge mode?) just to keep things "lubricated" so to speak. I believe Toyota has some sort of algorithm to force the engine to start every once in a while because they know its not good to let a gas engine sit forever. Also, gas goes stale and needs to be refreshed. Search the forum for discussions on the specifics.

13. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You're right. I had a typo, thx.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    5000 miles is excessive for many non-hybrid gas car. The shortest interval for a car I've had in the past 15 years is 6000 miles. Toyota Canada calls for 5000 mile changes on cars there, but the climate is much colder and wetter than what your car is seeing.

GM has an oil monitoring system in their cars that calculates remaining oil life based on operating conditions of the engine. My Chevies called for changes around the 7500 mark. A Volt with your engine usage would go two years before saying a change was needed.

Stick with Toyota's 10k mile or one year interval if you have warranty concerns. If the oil still looks unused then, I'd look into using it in another car. An old poster here was taking the oil from the Prius, and using it in an old beater truck.

Bill Norton likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For fourth gen Prius the Canadian oil change interval is the same as the States.

Trollbait likes this.
  16. Winky_86

Winky_86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Appreciate the Reply, any idea if this item comes with the bolts needed?

17. Winky_86

Winky_86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Appreciate the Reply, any idea if this item comes with the bolts needed?

18. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The screws can also be found in auto parts stores if you know what you're looking for.

Agree, 5k oil drain interval is overkill. 10k is fine. It is too bad Toyota didn't give us the miles the engine runs, or the hours, or even the total gasoline consumption before an oil drain is needed.

I've started using a nifty little tool, an oil drain plug remover. It has a magnet and a finger that removes an already loose oil drain plug so you don't get hot dirty oil running down your arm. $9 or $10 bucks. It is never a bad idea to put on a new drain plug gasket every time, but they can be reused a few times. Measure the outside diameter of the plug (14 mm I think, check this) and buy gaskets that fit. I've had good results with aluminum, fiber, and nylon gaskets (a crush washer is actually something different). Agree, get an oil filter wrench that fits the filter just right. Lubricate the filter gasket or o-ring as specified (always renew the o-ring on the cartridge filters) and tighten as specified.

Some typos here can get someone into trouble. There is no such oil as 10W-20, but someone might use 10W-30 by mistake. 0W-20 or 0W-16 for certain years is correct. And Wally sells 5 quart oil jugs, not 5 gallons.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Supertech oil is now available in 3 gallon boxes.

20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It does not come with the retainer clips and screws, which you need three of each to be able to attach it to the car.

https://parts.culvercitytoyota.com/p/Toyota_2018_Prius-Prime/Radiator-Support-Access-Cover/69089220/5140747010.html
    https://parts.culvercitytoyota.com/p/Toyota_2018_Prius-Prime/CLIP-RETAINER/66840912/9046707220.html
    Part № for the screws: 90159-60477

I wouldn't bother with DYI oil changes. Many Los-Angeles-area Toyota dealers participate in the AdvantageCARE program, which offers $50 Toyota-certified oil change + tire rotation + multipoint inspection with genuine Toyota motor oil (TGMO), which is blended by ExxonMobil according to Toyota's precise demands and specs and has a better, higher-content additive package than Mobil 1 for higher wear protection (more ZDDP antiwear additive, close to the ILSAC upper phosphorus (P) limit), better fuel economy (very high content of molybdenum (moly) additive), higher low-temperature-sludge protection (more boron dispersant), and better engine cleaning (a synthetic Group V polyol ester (POE) base stock blended into the base oil), genuine Toyota oil filter, and genuine Toyota oil drain-plug gasket. Under this program, you can have your oil changed and have a tire rotation and a multipoint inspection every six months (or sooner) for only $50.

https://www.culvercitytoyota.com/advantagecare/

As for SAE 0W-16 vs. SAE 0W-20, the dealer will probably go with what is specified on your oil-filler cap. TGMO 0W-20 was actually effectively not thicker than a typical 0W-16 or probably even thinner than a typical 0W-16 due to the very high plastic viscosity modifier (viscosity-index improver) content and thus an ultra-high viscosity index. I don't know if the viscosity index of TGMO 0W-20 has dropped with API SP, making the oil thicker. Therefore, either TGMO 0W-16 or TGMO 0W-20 will work on any Gen 4 Prius or Prius Prime.

#20 Gokhan, Nov 1, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2022