1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Old spark plug still clean?!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bicycles, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Bicycles

Bicycles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I have no boroscope but I'll see if I can spot anything with my eyes. If nothing, would a leak-down test be the next move? Or is it definitely a failing head gasket?

2. Bicycles

Bicycles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Is an EGR cleaning something a novice wrencher as myself could carry out? I've read that it's pretty labor intensive.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah leakdown test. It sounds like head gasket leaking between cylinders one and two, and you have coolant loss. But doesn't hurt to check. A mechanic with compressed air and leak down valve tester can do this:

You can watch @NutzAboutBolts EGR cleaning video linked here. Some boiler plate info:

The simplest way to see where you're at, is to check the degree of carbon build up in the EGR pipe, a stainless steel connecting pipe between the EGR valve and intake manifold. Watch @NutzAboutBolts video #16 here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Two or three other videos linked there too, for the full cleaning of the intake manifold, full EGR clean, and Oil Catch Can install.

Good thread:

EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results | PriusChat

Another:

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | PriusChat

Some tools worth having:

E8 Torx socket (mandatory)
    E6 Torx socket (optional, but good to have, to remove the throttle body studs from intake manifold)
    3/8" ratchet wrench, regular and long handle, flex head, you can never have enough (or 1/2 plus reducer)
    1/4" ratchet wrench, or 3/8" to 1/4" reducer
    Ratchet extensions: you can never have enough
    Long needle nose piers, straight and bent tip
    Ratcheting 12mm box wrench (optional, but makes disconnection of the EGR cooler from exhaust easier)
    Torque wrench (3/8" and 1/4" both good to have)
    Floor jack and safety stands (or ramps): basically some method to raise front, if you need to take underpanel off, which you may need to, both for access and to recover dropped items.

Comment regarding clamping of coolant hose, mentioned and or shown in videos:

1. When removing the intake manifold for cleaning, you do need to lift the throttle body off the intake manifold. Still, the coolant hoses connected to the throttle body have ample slack, enough that you can leave them connected, and just tie the throttle body to something adjacent, say the inverter wiring harness.

2. When removing the EGR cooler, removing coolant hoses is necessary, but if you drain 2 liters/quarts from the radiator drain spigot prior (into a clean container), the coolant level in the system will be dropped below the EGR componennts, and you won't spill anything. Just be sure to not tip the cooler when lifting it off (and catch the rear gasket): there are a few tablespoons of coolant trapped at the lower back corner.

Pour that into your previous drained coolant, and when done pour it back into the reservoir. If you've got the coolant bleed bolt (2010, 2011 model years), leave it open while pouring the coolant back in, till coolant starts coming out. For later model years, leave the topmost coolant hose on EGR disconnected till coolant starts coming out. Also, might help to burp the main radiator hose as you pour the coolant back in.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is an easy one.....coolant is keeping it clean.

Mendel Leisk and edthefox5 like this.
  5. Bicycles

Bicycles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    that makes more sense than anything I can comprehend at this point... thank you for the pragmatism

6. Bicycles

Bicycles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    WOW! I thank you immensely for all of this. I'm going to take it all in and see if I'm up to the task. In your seemingly professional opinion, is it worth it for me to start digging thru my engine to DIY this (and risk accidentally making things worse) or just take it in for a mechanic to do and shell out the ca$$$h (I got quoted at $3k for new engine with install, and a pretty nice warranty)? Thirdly, a couple people have suggested I just sell this car for whatever I can get and then start fresh, but that option doesn't make much sense to me. The same exact model with similar mileage is going for $8-10k in my area (SoCal).

mjoo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I roulette check on the head head gasket first because if that needs to be addressed all the egr stuff has to come off anyway.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Bicycles

Bicycles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks everyone! Is it a good idea at all to try the Bar's leaky gasket slime stuff?

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No. Just forestalls the inevitable, and makes a royal mess* of the whole coolant circuit. Also, you are kinda playing Russian Roulette too, running a car with a failing head gasket: if you get enough (non-compressible) coolant in a cylinder you might bend a piston arm. If you're leaning towards engine swap maybe this doesn't matter so much though.

* One manufacture of stop leak advices a flush with 50/50 white vinegar and water to dissolve the product.

10. Bicycles

Bicycles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    If I were to reach last resort and replace the engine wouldn't that be included? Also, I'd want to upgrade to the newer (gen 4?) engine correct? I am 80% leaning toward this solution, and taking care of it this week. Thanks!

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the main reason many are gravitating to fourth gen is lower miles and cost. Some coolant mods are needed. Watch @Ragingfit's video saga.

I can post a link in a bit. It's in Prius v mods forum, pinned at top I think.

I would consider head gasket replacement too, especially if current oil consumption isn't bad?

12. Bicycles

Bicycles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Oh nice! I heard from a few people that a head gasket replacement on such an old engine (160k) isn't the best idea... but my wallet prefers that route!

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's your oil consumption like?

14. Bicycles

Bicycles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I haven't noticed any decrease in levels, I'll check again today tho.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    4th gen engine swap:

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v | PriusChat

@Ragingfit 's approach is likely the best. Other's have gone further, managed to use fourth gen EGR, bending the EGR inlet pipe on the 3rd gen exhaust manifold. But then there's been problems, the 4th gen EGR is different, and the 3rd gen ECM maybe can't work with it, is expecting 3rd gen EGR behaviour.

And here's head gasket replacement videos link:

New head gasket replacement video from Gasket Masters | PriusChat

16. Bicycles

Bicycles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Oil is still good, if not too high. I have been changing my own oil for the past two changes, is there a chance I'm overfilling it, and that's causing an issue? I put in the recommended 4.4 quarts with a new filter both times.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it's not dropping much, that speaks to an engine that's still viable. Debatable.

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    G2 motor takes 3.6 quarts with new oil filter. With oil filter filled before install.

When done let it sit for 15 mins then check the dipstick. Should be right at he Full line.

Next morning before starting the car check it again. Keep it at the full line.

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oops saw this in mypeople responded and thought it was a g2 forum.

Please disregard.