1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Open Circuit Squib Driver Side! Red Triangle...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sam Dean, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When all the codes are clear the light will go out. If there is a safety or emissions code the light will come on, but you are jumping the gun, get the air bag sorted and codes cleared then we see what happens.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  2. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    indeed - bad habit of mine to jump the gun

will see how tomorrow unfolds and will keep you posted

hopefully it'll be positive

:)

3. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the connectors didn't get delivered today and so now i'm being told tomorrow... I've told the breaker yard to send the whole clock-spring down aswell just incase - especially as I heard that they may be able to sell the whole unit for a discounted price.

for now though, I thought I'd make use of what I had and so I twisted the cables all back together, connected the battery, ran Techstream, cleared codes etc. The red triangle was now gone but the following 2 errors showed up:

B1800 - short in driver side squib circuit

B1810 - short in driver side squib 2nd step circuit

maybe this is because I may not have twisted the cables back together as tightly as they were before?

or maybe i didn't wrap the twisted cables fully with tape?

I picked up some scotch locks and so I'm ready to roll when the connectors arrive.....or if he can do a deal for me on the whole clockspring, I'll take that (?)

Over n out

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam short in the squib circuit is caused by the gold strips on the air bag pins not being pushed away by the connectors as in post 174. This gives a short circuit across the two pins (air bag deactivated). Basically the connectors are not fitted correctly not pushed all the way home. It could also be caused by the twisted joints touching each other so check that first.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  5. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeh - I just put it all together really quickly and so something's loose in there - but it's okay - I should have all of the parts by tomorrow and so I'll do it all properly then (after testing it all first). Main thing is that the red triangle is gone - that was stressing me out alittle.

If I can get the whole clockspring within a decent price (under £40) - then I may just go for that - even if I end up just holding onto the main part and using it's connectors.

More updates tomorrow.

I hope you had a lovely day

Thanks again John

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you do wish to fit the complete clock spring ask me how before you start as there are some important procedures to go through to fit it without damaging the "new" part.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  7. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely John - I'll keep you posted all the way

To be honest though, I don't think he'll give it to me any less than 50 pounds as this is roughly how much he sells the others for....but let's see.

Will keep you posted

Thanks again :)

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam when fitting the two connectors to the air bag make sure the yellow buttons are pulled to the out position push and hold the connectors in place and while pushing the connectors push in the yellow button.
    This way you make sure the connector is fully home (opening the gold strips from the pins) before latching them in place with the yellow buttons.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  9. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just got back from the breakeryard guy and I didn't buy anything because the black connector was in very bad condition. I took some pictures. The guy said that I could have the whole compartment (clockspring, and airbag with the connectors) for £30 but the connectors looked like they had been glued in and the black one had snapped out. My current one looked in better condition if i'm honest. Is it still worth buying the lot just for the clockspring (as these normally go for £100 odd pounds), or is this likely to not work, based on the poor condition of the rest (pictures attached)?

The orange connector looked okay, but it looked like it had been glued in and so it may not even be re-usable.

Anyway - I'm going to use the scotch locks on the cabling just now to see if they remove the short in the D squib circuit.

Attached Files:

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Difficult to tell but it looks like it's been left out in the weather, if so leave well alone. Water and electronics do not make a good mix.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  11. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorted - mission accomplished!

there is only ONE John BritPrius!!

Okay, so I used the scotch locks and replaced the twisted cabling with them - and plugged it all back together - cleared the codes and WHALLA!

we have an error free prius!

The only thing now is that I really hammered the connector but it locks into the airbag nice and snug - so I reckon for now we should be okay.

Next up and coming Projects....

fit the new battery when it arrives, fix this car's body work, tint the windows, clean the interior, get rid of the rust on the underside of the car....and then look at modifications like that "Prius" plate you showed me, and maybe some step lights.....or perhaps a vinyl wrap with a nice colour.

Thank you so much John - it will be nice to see you soon at some point. London is a great big smog, so maybe we could meet up half way or something.

Have a lovely day mate :)

12. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just noticed something really strange...

So all of the red lights all go out after my last exchange with the car - and just now, I thought I'd replace the tyre valve. Upon replacing it, the PSI dropped to 10, so I connected the tyre pump to the cigarette lighter, got it going, and it got to around 34 PSI before it stopped pumping. It turned out that the battery had been pushed to its limit and was now pretty flat.....but equally, the dashboard now had the red triangle back, along with the red airbag light!?!?

I was puzzled - but then I remembered a conversation I had with a mechanic a while ago and he mentioned that when the 12v battery is low - the car will spit out lots of different errors. Could this have been the issue all along? I wonder.

Let's see - I'll wait on the new battery and see how things unfold from there on.....

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A low 12 volt will throw all sorts of codes, but I know you have that organised so let me know how you get on once this is fitted.
    Congratulations on getting things sorted. I would still be inclined to change the black connector, but leave that with me' and I'll have a word with a friendly breaker I have dealt with for 40 years next time I visit my daughter in the Midlands,

I will be in touch when I return from my holiday, but in the mean time I will continue to monitor PC.

John (Britpriu)

Sam Dean likes this.
  15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As far as the key fob goes this can be tricky. The US Prius uses a different entry system to the UK and I believe the frequencies used are different but have no way of checking.
    A used UK fob may also not work as the code changes every time you use the fob "a security devise that stops someone recording your code when you lock the car then transmitting the same code to open it" and once the fob becomes to far out of sequence the car cannot be programmed to it.
    With the Prius it is the car that is programmed to the fob, not the fob programmed to the car. The car I believe can be programmed to accept 5 fobs The fobs used in the UK are black logo not silver logo.
    To be safe you need to buy a new fob then you can program the car to accept it. If you can buy a SH fob cheaply it may be worth a punt but there is no guaranty you could make it open the doors with the buttons. You should however be able to program it to work in the ignition slot to start the car. Key blanks can be bought at reasonable prices, and can be cut at any key cutting outlet.

This subject can get quite complicated.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the way of useful invisible modifications heated door mirrors should be on your list as surprisingly they are not fitted on the gen2 Prius in the UK, but they are in Florida talk about crazy. Doing this fortunately is not too difficult or expensive.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  17. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! Excellent info as ever.

Thanks for the connector search - its a struggle for me where I am.

I'm just at a lecture at the moment, so will message more later on.

The battery is a big factor it seems. How interesting...

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When the Prius is first turned on the computers boot up and check all the systems. A low 12 volt battery will dip even lower with the initial load. If this voltage drops below about 10 volts the computer will check a given system that has not got enough voltage to run, the computer sees this as a faulty system and records it as such.

A simplistic but true reason for the fault codes. These codes can be completely random but once recorded remain in the memory till cleared.

The connector search is no problem but I only go into the Midlands about once a fortnight so it may be a few days before I can pick anything up, but I am confident I can get the parts. The scotch locks are completely reusable by the way.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Have a look at this thread by PC member Ovni this may help with your key problem at reasonable cost. I would suggest you PM him to see if he will send a key to the UK.
    It would not open the doors remotely but would give you an emergency key if you mislaid your fob.
    UPDATE to Low Price Alternative to Prius Keys 2004 - 2009 years only
    If you loose your fob without another fob or key with chip the cost of getting going again is very high.
    First a suspended tow to the dealer, "you cannot get the car out of park" then buy a new fob, the dealer then has to connect to the car and go on line to Toyota security to get the car ECU seed code reset removing existing fobs then allowing the car to be programmed to the new fob.

John (Britprius)

Sam Dean likes this.
  20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sam Dean likes this.