1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

outch! $700.00 estimate to repair!

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priuscatprimeguy, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I try to wash my car but have to go to a car wash to do it. I live on conservation land and can not use any type of detergent to wash my car on my property without running the risk of getting a hefty fine. Also not allowed to change oil on my property for risk of it dumping. But my wife loves the pond across the street and I never liked playing with oil anyway so I generally don't consider it a loss. Those automated car washes though are always a risk. I lost parts off my truck in the carwash twice. I didn't care about the part I lost so I didn't care when I lost a second one just like off the other side of the car (roof rack end cap). But I try to keep cars out of those machines and use the hand wand in a touchless bay. Took me 5 years before I gave that up in the last car, lets see how long I last.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  2. Crowmag Naman

Crowmag Naman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  3. djkenny

djkenny New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Only option for me would be to look out for a wrecked Prius of the same body style and get the parts for like $45 or less. Wait til you find one.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That situation would have me climbing the walls. :mad:

I don't spill a drop when doing oil changes. Washing a car, I use maybe 2 tablespoon of carwash liquid, and 90% of what's in the pail comes back in the house, goes down the sanitary drain.

Seems like misguided regs!

Prius from Dad likes this.
  5. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have to admit, these lighting units, whether for the front or back, are works of art. In my opinion they rival the design of blown glass. And I paid $900 for a piece by Chihuly that isn't half the size of the headlight.

6. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    update, since @bisco suggested I fill out an incident report with the car wash, the car wash guys said I need three estimates so I went to another dealer and they directed me to the bump shop, The bump shop quoted me a price of $387.60 for the part and $67.00 for the labor to fix it. Total price $477.86. Turns out from what the bump shop guy said dealership service labor rates are much higher. Too bad the lady that quoted me the $700.00 out the door price failed to tell me what other options I had. I still haven't heard anything back from the car wash owner.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Putting my conspiracy theory tinfoil hat on here but could your license plate have incited some minor vandalism?

8. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    maybe.........maybe not:whistle:

9. Crowmag Naman

Crowmag Naman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I thought the same thing. Or someone got mad because the plug didnt work - :)

10. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    lol, "plug didn't work":p:D:LOL::ROFLMAO:

11. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ok, the service gal at Suburban Toyota called me back and started whining about she ordered the part special order and can't return it for credit. I told her that I haven't yet got it fixed by the lower cost body shop. So she said she would match what the body shop offered. I said, great, I'll be right in. Took about and hour and a half to fix it. She didn't exactly "match" the price but came close. Body shop: $487.66 Suburban Toyota service : $500.66

12. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    After I was done at the dealership I traveled to Kroger to get bananas. While I was there, I rounded up a shopping cart and matched up the edge of the shopping cart to the taillight, perfect match. Looks guilty to me. I will have to re-access my parking preferences from now on. I parked at the very end of the parking lot figuring my car was safe from anyone parking next to me. turns out my car was in direct contact to flying carts due the the fact there were few cars way out there in parking lot land to block the flying carts.

#32 priuscatprimeguy, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  13. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am parking away as well when at Wal-Mart but I look for those shopping cart round up areas and make sure I am away from those as well. People just don't care and will leave carts all over and they roll away.

14. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe FibreFix would help.......

FiberFix

rather than "like" your post I decided to :mad: instead, because I agree with you.

#34 priuscatprimeguy, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my father won a small claims judgement against bj's years ago for just that reason. they sent a battery of lawyers to the court room to try to deny that a cart had hit his continental. but he had pictures of the carts all over the lot, and the one against his car, and they had to cough up the damages.

Ashlem and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Noticed this at Costco:

upload_2017-4-22_18-36-4.png

Montgomery and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  17. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It was a dark and stormy night. Scarcely an ICE car or pickup about, he carefully backed into the EV parking place and came to a stop against the parking barrier:
    [​IMG]

HOLLY CARP! Where did that pipe come from ???

[​IMG]

Close call? Not in this case but it highlights the risk of backing into a parking place. I'm now wondering how the proximity warning maps around the backup lights and stop light lense.

Bob Wilson

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes and no. I've parked with light stands and poles in the corner of the space. You just have to scope them out on the camera first and when you get close, watch the camera. In addition, get to know the distance on the camera and its position in real life in relation to what you see on camera. For example, on the Gen 3, it's a fisheye lens and it's mounted on the driver's side. Therefore, it makes a difference whether the pole is on the passenger side or driver's side. I can usually park closer if it's on the passenger side because of the wider viewing angle.

20. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This. I work at a grocery store. Carts left in miscellaneous places become missiles in high winds. I've seen them turn about face and then dart at 20 mph into parked cars, and then bounce off and keep on going hitting more cars. You can guess that I'd rather park a block away daily in a safer spot and walk the rest of the way rather than become the next victim. I've got two cart dents now and know I am still not immune to more. Not everyone knows how to use cart corrals. Oh, and I've seen a flying grocery cart when we had a microburst out in the lot. That was memorable.

Ashlem and priuscatprimeguy like this.