1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0113 & P0102 codes after big tune up

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mike Bezuyevskiy, May 30, 2022.

1. Mike Bezuyevskiy

Mike Bezuyevskiy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello!

So I did a big tune up to my 2010 Prius with 180k miles which included:
    -new spark plugs
    -cleaning intake manifold
    -cleaning throttle body
    -cleaning egr pipe and cooler
    -cleaning MAP sensor with alcohol and a qtip

All items were very gunked up.

After putting everything together, I started the car up and saw light smoke coming from the back of the engine. The smoke cleared after about a minute of running.

The check engine light came on instantly. I took it to Autozone to get it scanned. The codes reported were P0113 & P0102.

-Is it possible these codes where due to the initial rough start?

-If so, should I disconnect and reconnect the MAF & MAP sensors?

-I did not take apart the MAF sensor? Should I clean it?

-Could I have damaged the MAP sensor when I cleaned it?

-I understand that after cleaning the throttle body, it may take some driving for the computer to adjust the air/fuel ratio. Would these codes clear after some driving?

-How would I go about clearing the check engine light so I can see if the light comes back on? I have unplugged the battery for 15+ minutes but check engine light remains, does it need to stay unplugged longer?

I know I threw out a lot of thoughts and questions. Feel free to respond to whatever you think is most relevant.

Thanks!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Both those codes point to problems with your mass air flow sensor and using a Q-tip & alcohol is not the way to clean that incredibly sensitive sensor. I suspect once you swap out your MAF sensor with a new or used one your problems will be solved and you learned from your mistake.

3. Mike Bezuyevskiy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have did not do anything to the MAF sensor, just unplugged it and put aside when I did all the tune up work. I only cleaned the MAP sensor based on what I read in this forum: Throttle body and MAP sensor cleaning | PriusChat

I think I just figured out the issue though... I have a reusable K & N filter and after washing and letting it dry, I oiled it prior to reinstalling. I think I may have over over oiled it or not had it sit long enough before reinstalling. I'm going to remove and clean the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner and see what happens.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think you connected the MAF sensor back when you put everything back together. Check for a dangling wire.

Mike Bezuyevskiy and PriusCamper like this.
  5. Mike Bezuyevskiy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I will check for that first. I've been reading various forums an
    Loose connection. Fixed it!

Also swapped to oem air filter and clean MAF sensor.