1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A80 and P3011, faulty module on a 2 yr Dorman battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevalasvegas, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Stevalasvegas

Stevalasvegas New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello, it's my first time posting here but have been browsing around this site frequently to troubleshoot several issues. I bought a 06 prius a couple of months ago, and just a few days ago, I'm seeing the red triangle, P0A80 and P3011 codes. On Dr. Prius, I see that module #1 is busted, attached the screenshot as well.

The thing is, the hybrid battery was replaced 2 years ago and has 6k miles on it. I was thinking about replacing the module, but used ones on hybridautomative and ebay have modules used for 80k+ miles but then again, might face a problem with the module in the future since the rest are new and this is old. Do I even have to replace the module considering the age of the battery; can I instead just charge this module or would rebalancing the battery work?

I was thinking of trying out charging the battery in this guide. Also read here that Dorman batteries usually can have some modules fail once in a while.

Attached Files:

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Was that a new HV battery from the dealer, or just a set of used mismatched modules slapped together with a 30/30 warranty?

6K miles in 2 years isn't very much, and a new OEM battery would be able to handle that. Do you park in the sun with the windows up?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. Stevalasvegas

Stevalasvegas New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I asked the shop that installed the battery and the mechanic mentioned that it was a Dorman aftermarket battery and used it for plenty of other vehicles. I'm assuming that's a new HV battery from a logistics perspective.

It's parked in a garage but I have been driving it without the A/C due to a bad moldy smell, another issue I'm still figuring out how to resolve. I wasn't aware that driving with the A/C is recommended, especially with the southern climate, and might have caused the battery overheat. When this issue started, about a few days back, the hybrid vent fan in the back seat was running loudly, and it still does whenever I start the car. For that reason, I suspect that my driving habits that may have ruined the battery and I hope it's not too late to fix it.

4. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Heading says Dorman battery. Some discussion on Dorman batteries. See if you can get some modules from TMR-JWAP.

Looking for guidance - battery reconditioning | PriusChat

#4 alftoy, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    Stevalasvegas and SFO like this.
  5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are only a few companies that supply NEW battery modules for Prius. (Toyota, newpriusbatteries.com, - should go 10+ years. A lithium ion option from the maker of the DrPrius app as well).

There are hundreds if not thousands of companies and shops that "rebuild" or "refurbish" the Prius HV battery pack. This includes Dorman. (is there any warranty left on that pack?)

At best this means that USED modules are tested, disharge - charge cycled (to improve measured capacity), and matched up with other modules having similar capacity and load test results. 1-3 years lifespan seems to be typical. The modules are still used.

At worst this means that 28 random used modules are put together and someone said "it's a battery pack". Maybe you get a year, maybe it never works at all. Nobody knows.

Your reading shows a block that's 1.2V low. If any block is 1.0-1.5V lower than the others when static (very little amperage flow) or during discharge, that's pretty much proof of a shorted cell in one of the two modules that make up the faulty block. A shorted cell cannot be recovered or recharged- only replaced.

If you want the car to be reliable, then new is the only option. Only replacing the failed module with another used one has a low percent chance of working (and could cause more problems at any point). Another refurb pack might get you another couple years. DIY repair requires varying amounts of skill, knowledge / learning, time, tooling, luck, and space to work.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Gary Seven

Gary Seven New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I just reconditioned my 2008 battery with this video as a guide. Everything is good after 1500 miles now. I used Turnigy hobby chargers a 4x6 and one Turnigy 350 watt charger. Make sure they are clamped together and start with low amps, I started with just 1-1.5 amps charge rate with weak cells because they swell a lot.