1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. little_green_man

little_green_man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hello Everyone
    I am looking for opinions on what to do. The dealer delivered me a prime advanced with a paint chip (see attached picture) They claim they will fix it but i really dont want them messing around with the chip and making it worse. I am thinking the size and location (rear bumper) would be best served by a good touch up, assuming toyota touch up paint matches. So what to do..give over to them to fix it or get touch up paint and do it myself.

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First off, don't sell them short. Part of their business is making cars look good. It could be they get a pro in, or have someone on staff with lots of experience in small ding repair. And they're offering: try them? Anyway, for DIY:

I'm liking this Dupli-Color stick a lot. It has color coat with a touch up brush at one end, and a clear coat swab at the other end (I've yet to this end, have found in the past clear coat can lift the color coat, you should test). Also, the little white tip at the top is some sort of scratchy glass fiber tip, good for surgical prep of the area.

One thing, it does appear to have some rust, I would go at it good with glass fiber tip. Maybe follow up with something like Rust-Mort on a q-tip:

upload_2018-5-28_12-50-18.png

Roughen and bevel the edges, shake up the stick good, pull out the color brush end and wipe as much as you can off, maybe even a prelim swipe on the cap to test, then just do a quick stroke or two across the full thing, barely overlapping beyond the ding. Once it's on don't touch it too much more, it dries fast.

Being on the edge like that is good, makes it a lot easier to do a near seamless repair.

IMG_8741.JPG
    (Classic Silver 1F7 is probably your paint code too, btw. Should be a perfect match on rims as well.)
    (Another good one to pick up is Universal Black CASF 0100, if it's still a piano black spoiler, and you're parking in a garage...)

#2 Mendel Leisk, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    bisco and padroo like this.
  3. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ouch, doesn't look good at all. If your dealer is good enough they'd believe you, and fix it... somehow

#3 EyePrime, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Where exactly is that chip btw.

5. little_green_man

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Its on the lower part of the rear bumper.
    Its pretty tiny as you can see it compared to the penny.
    I have to go back tomorrow to have it looked at.
    I would have to agree that they must have someone who fixes these types of things as they are probably pretty common

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wouldn't (and didn't) accept delivery. Let the car take a trip to the dealer's collision center. You have the most leverage before the contract is signed. When it comes back you won't know the chip was there.

7. little_green_man

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree, i should not have accepted delivery. I met with the service manager yesterday and he is replacing the bumper end (bottom black part), which is also scratched and the scratch and chip guy the dealer uses is going to fix the chip. He said the chip wont be 100%perfect but it will be very close. I have seen to many poorly painted silver bumpers to go with the "paint the whole bumper" option.

8. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just got something similar to this, but smaller, on my fender. I'm considering letting my detailing shop handle this. I think the methods to fix minor problems like this have advanced greatly in recent years. They are very reputable and claim to be able to do a great job that is undetectable. They are also a full-service body shop and work on many very high-end cars. I'm posting some of their example photos below.

This type of repair usually runs $75-$125 according to their website and emails (their name is Pacific Coast Auto Detail Center, Inc., in San Diego). If you look on their Facebook page, you can see a lot of before & after photos of the work they can do. I suspect many cities have very good detail shops like this (along with dozens and dozens of bad ones).

I think a lot of dealerships farm stuff like this out (they have people come in and do it).

paint-chip-repairs.png paint-touch-up-rock-chip-repair-san-diego_orig.png

Mendel Leisk likes this.