1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Part number for insulation for lower shield

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by golfbum8, Aug 23, 2019.

1. golfbum8

golfbum8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi Folks,

A rat decided to make a home in the undercarriage of my 2018 Prius Prime. I caught the rat, but now the insulation is a mess. Does anyone know the part number for the insulation? I found the part number for the lower shield (51410-47070), but it does not look like it comes with insulation:

Not sure if insulation is even the right word for it. It's the black padding that's glued to the lower shield.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Attached Files:

Salamander_King and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd guess it does come with the insulation, in particular if it's glued. Maybe just pull all the insulation off? Especially if the rat could come back. Toyota didn't really think this one through: that's great bedding material, down low, easily accessable. Not that great for oil leaks either.

FYI, 3rd gen engine underpanel has a few small pieces that seem to be for insulation. but they're not "pillows", it's a semi-rigid fibrous material, maybe 1/8" thick.

Engine Under Panel removal | PriusChat

#2 Mendel Leisk, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    golfbum8 and Salamander_King like this.
  3. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I believe the purpose of this material is sound damping. I would try steps in this order:

1. Patch it together with some foil tape and silicon glue (both will withstand conditions there).

2. Cut out the damaged piece and run without it.

3. Replace the damaged section with an aftermarket product - this is one inexpensive example:

From Clipboard.jpg

#3 jb in NE, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    golfbum8 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to see the mess, but you are fortunate the vermin did not chew the wiring that could be a costly repair.
    I am with Mendel on this. I think the paddings are for some type of heatshield, but I don't think it is essential. Whatever the function, if it's not essential I would not pay $200 to replace it unless you can cover the cost with your insurance.

golfbum8 and Mendel Leisk like this.