1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger Door double pull to unlock?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MPDano, Sep 15, 2018.

1. MPDano

MPDano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all,

I got a strange issue with my passenger door lock. If you pull on the outside handle once, it doesn't open the door (maybe a 1/4 inch). It's like it's double locked, but if you pull a 2nd time it opens all the way.

Other than that annoyance, the door functions fine.

What would cause this?

Thanks,
    Leo

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Be sure you are not grabbing the handle too close to the locking sensor located at the hinge end, otherwise you may be locking the door before it has a chance to open.

3. MPDano

MPDano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply. Not too clear on that as I open the passenger door the same way I open the drivers door. I'll try 1 finger on the opposite of the hinge side to verify. Also, where is this sensor? I had the car repainted a week ago, maybe it was painted over?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't pull it, hold it until you hear it unlock, then pull.

perhaps the actuator is slowly failing

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. MPDano

MPDano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just looked at it and I don't see any sensor at all, nor do I hear anything when I put my hand on the handle. Just trying to understand the mechanism on this car as it's new to me.

I just tried again with doors locked and it the drivers side does unlock (with fob near) when i put my hand on the outside door handle. The passenger side does nothing when I put my hand on the handle. Also, the passenger door doesn't lock even when the car is locked.

I did have the passenger door inner panel off so the body shop could have easier access to fix a small dent before the painting.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did a bunch of google searches trying to find the location of that sensor. It came back with everything EXCEPT the location of the sensor. But I vaguely remember seeing a drawing that showed the locations of the various sensors and I think that one is very cloose to the door handle. Which seems logical to me.

One poster here had a rather similar problem. Here's a link to the thread:
    Door jamming not opening | PriusChat
    The gist of it is that the driver's door would only partially open but it was intermittent. Dealer finally reprogrammed the keyless entry system and maybe the fob, too. That seemed to fix it. At least there have been no updates since Aug. 31.

EDIT TO ADD:
    I see you were typing while I was typing. I now think it is the actuator motor.

Additionally, I don't think the trim II has SKS on the passenger door, but I'm not positive. It changed from year to year, model to model, and trim to trim.

7. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Grasp the cut-outs on the handle with your thumb and forefinger to Lock the door and avoid them when opening the door.
    0915181023.jpg

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  8. MPDano

MPDano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the cutouts exist on the drivers door handle but not on the passenger door handle.

9. MPDano

MPDano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I am thinking the actuator maybe the culprit of I just didn't plug something in correctly when i put the panel back on. Will get that panel back off today and investigate.

10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, that answers my question about how many doors have SKS. Since there are no cutouts, the passenger door doesn't have it. Driver's door only. Which brings me back to the actuator motor. The can get slow before they die.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the sensor is on the door side of the handle, (inside). when you slip your fingers in, they activate it

it may be that your hand is touching the drivers sensor close enough to open it, and is positioned differently when you touch the passenger side. but the sensor is not on the outside, nor does the o/m tell you to touch the outside when you want to unlock it.

12. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Try using your "Spare FOB" and see if the same thing still happens. I had a similar problem with the drivers door lock and the problem turned out to be the FOB.

13. MPDano

MPDano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    RESOLVED! It was user error. I removed the door panel again and noticed I didn't reconnect the 2 cables for the inside handle. Buttoned it back up and walla! Works perfect now.

Thanks for all the help guys!

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    um, you didn't tell us you had the panel off and had worked on it until your third post. might have had an impact on the responses:)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. MPDano

MPDano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ha ha, yeah. When I first asked, I wasn't thinking it could be the issue. Mechanism is different on these cars. Any normal "older" car, those cables wouldn't affect the outside door handle. Always learning ;)

bisco likes this.
  16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your trim level Two has this sensor on the Driver door only. Only level Three and above have it on the passenger side.

MPDano and jerrymildred like this.