1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Phantom beeping happening only at night

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MaXPowers, Sep 3, 2020.

1. MaXPowers

MaXPowers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So I have been racking my brain trying to figure out this faint honk/beep coming from inside my Prime, maybe from one of the speakers. I did some investigating and noticed it only happens at night, usually when driving through a pitch dark area with no street lamps or other lighting from any other source. It’s almost like it’s warning me or alerting of an object that is close to my Prime that I can’t see. Speed has no affect on it and I have no warnings on my dash. My auto headlights are on and I have the auto high beam disabled. LDA is on as well as every other assist feature on high.

I stopped by the dealership today and spoke to a few service advisors and well as sales associates and they couldn’t figure it out either. They told me to bring it in for service but I told them it only happens at night so that wouldn’t work.

The sound cannot be heard from outside the vehicle, only inside. Not too loud but noticeable with music off. Any ideas or similar experiences?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't find anything in the manual describing a situation that would trigger the buzzer without either a message or an indicator light. I suspect that it is triggering a light briefly and you haven't happened to be looking in the right place at the right time.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My C seems to momentarily activate the "collision warning" in some unusual circumstance.
    I think it happens near the bottom of a steep dip in the roadway.
    It is so quick to go off that it took me a long time to actually catch the accompanying message.

4. MaXPowers

MaXPowers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’ll be driving around for the holiday weekend so maybe I can have a passenger keep an eye on the dash.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. MaXPowers

MaXPowers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I looked in the manual as well and couldn’t find any sort of collision warning. I searched throughout the forums of other Toyotas as well with nothing similar.

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are right. Not likely present on a 2012 model.
    But I quite assure you that it IS present on some more recent ones.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Page 369 in my manual. (2017) You might want to update your info since it says you have a 2012c.
    Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 3.44.17 PM.png

8. MaXPowers

MaXPowers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you. I thought I had updated it twice to 2017 prius prime advance.

The beep is definitely different than a warning beep. I'm familiar with the brake warning and have had that once or twice.

jerrymildred likes this.