1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PICS: What do these lights mean on dash (1 is small red triangle)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MilkyWay, Mar 30, 2017.

1. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just got this....On top dash has red triangle and some snowflake looking thing possibly traction control?

1.jpg

On center where radio is there is this in top left:

2.jpg

What do these mean? And what are possible fixes...Just received prius and about to check oil levels at shop...

2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On page 508 of my owner's manual.The red triangle with the exclamation point is the master light that something is wrong. The symbol on the touch screen indicates something is wrong with the automatic headlight leveling system. I'm not sure what the yellow light on the same screen as the master light is.

MilkyWay likes this.
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Red triangle is the master warning telling you that something is wrong with the car. Yellow snowflake on road light means that it’s cold enough that roads can have ice on them (it’ rather pointless as it stays on even on very cold temperatures where traction is not a problem).

Picture of the light with up and down arrows on MFD means that you have problem with headlight leveling system. Most likely the problem is with the rear suspension level sensor. But you should read the fault codes with scanner to make sure.

If it is the rear suspension level sensor. Here is the link Headlight level sensor corroded? | PriusChat for how to repair the sensor but if the sensor is really bad you should just replace it. You can also get aftermarket sensors like: Suspension-Headlight Leveling Sensor - Dorman 924-755 Fits 04-09 Prius | eBay

srellim234 and MilkyWay like this.
  4. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No codes and seems to drive fine...Possibly low oil but now I have the dreaded "hood doesn't pop" issue...

5. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I got this out of state dealer auction...It drives good but has red triangle...202k miles...clean and good maintenance on carfax. Was planning on keeping but wasn't planning on dumping $500 into it. Guess I'll dump $500 into it....drive it a couple months...And hopefully sell for break-even.

My cost right now is $1970....Have a shop that can repair the cells so if I am lucky another $500 and should be up to par assuming that it is hybrid battery malfunction....A nice color and relatively clean for year/miles.

The guy who I plan to take it to works on Priuses all day (has previously repaired cells) and says it could be a number of things but usually hybrid battery...but right off the bat the hood latch is gonna be an unexpected repair bill....That's what happens when you buy cars sight unseen out of state from dealer auction I guess....

20170321125207-bfd14038-e2d7-4308-b001-06e334481403.jpg 20170321125147-140598f7-b26c-4508-86b1-cf47f9317288.jpg

6. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: Got hood open...not sure what trick was but I just pulled up (lol)...was 1 quart low. snowflake gone red triangle still there.

Based on multiple threads popping up of red triangle with that "headlight level sensor" together.....I am 50% sure it is related to headlight level sensor.

My next DIY step is to disconnect 12V battery....I looked back there and it just doesn't look that easy...

I was thinking of disconnecting the ground that runs from negative terminal to screw (ground screw?)....PLEASE ADVISE!

Edited to add: I am not a mechanic and I have no idea what I am doing....

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $1970 is a bargain for such a nice prius. I don't think it's the battery, there's not enough warning lights on. I think it might be the inverter pump. But you would need to read the codes to be sure

8. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It has 202,000 miles that is why price was somewhat cheap....My high bid was actually $1600...add $120 shipping...add $250 for auction fee! When/if I put in my name add another $140 for tax/title/plate transfer....After I order this sensor add another $100.

....interior needs a good shampooing. Exterior looks good.

But thanks! The more I am looking into this issue the more I am thinking it is headlight level sensor (as a couple posters have mentioned)...Drives pretty good seems to have a lot of life left.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $120 shipping? Dang I pay that much for local towing

10. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ya it is insane how cheap shipping is passing through multiple states compared to if you need a tow 5 miles up road....

I am thinking unplugging battery is a total waste and I need to order and replace that sensor

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have the Master Caution light on, you have codes.

When you say there are no codes, does that mean you put a generic code reader on the car and it came with no codes? If so, your code reader is not up for the job. It probably only can read the engine management codes that are generic to OBDII. There are many, many more Toyota specific codes generated by several other ECU's, so you should be looking to get a Toyota specific code reader, if you plan on flipping more Toyotas in the future. Forewarned is forearmed.

12. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes generic cheap scanner said no codes...it would read the Prius check engine light....But it is not going to read red triangles or whatever else is on the computer....I am about to order the cheapy Dorman sensor for $62 on Amazon...reviews claim it works but may break in a matter of months...smh. I am assuming that red triangle with headlight thing is related to this sensor...at least seems like a good starting point.

13. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you guys very much...Mood went from pissed off to feeling a lot better!

I will tackle this on Saturday or Sunday when part arrives....Depending on how it goes I will leave part in box unopened and just clean original for free (then return part)...but again...I am one of the least handiest people so will probably just R&R.

14. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Inspect and clean the headlight sensor if you can or R&R it. You really need a mini vci cable via Amazon or other source and an old Windows computer to read all your triggered codes. Higher end Snap On or Altel ODDII readers can read the Prius' codes but most, if not all generic OBDII readers will not. I wouldn't even waste my time a parts house using their free diagnostic service. Worst case, just swallow and have a dealership pull your codes, then you will know what you are up against. You can disconnect the 12v battery ground at the rear quarter panel and that will clear the trouble lights. If the problem(s) persists they will come back and trip the light again. But first check the oil, these Adkins engine are notorious for using oil.

16. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will monitor situation....I only drove it 1 mile red triangle always was on....it was rainy...

Well today it is a nicer dry day in the 50s....my brother has to make a long trip and he started to drive it and said triangle is gone....

Will update later

17. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Decided to take to my trusted mechanic because I know he won't charge barely anything for a 10 minute job.

Put it on hoist saw the bracket was broke /// snapped-off.

He tried his best to rig it by welding it back together and replacing sensor but to no avail.

He wiggled it to the center and light goes away...But after driving a couple miles it came back on.

He won't charge me if I get the whole assembly...which after the fact I see they sell for $60 used on eBay.

Gotta love Illinois rust:

20170401_165005.jpg 20170401_165049.jpg 20170401_165149.jpg 20170401_170142.jpg

20170401_164423.jpg

valde3 likes this.