1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pioneer AppRadio 3, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by totsubo, Jul 17, 2013.

1. totsubo

totsubo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've got a few questions that maybe someone here can answer.
    1.) Can the Pioneer AppRadio 3 fit in the Prius v two?
    I've seen pictures (such as this Pioneer's AppRadio 3 adds MirrorLink, Siri Eyes Free and more) of the Pioneer AppRadio 3 installed into a gen III Prius. However, Crutchfield states that the Pioneer AppRadio 3 is not compatible with the Prius v (with no navigation).
    2.) Will the PAC SWI-RC (steering wheel controller) work with both the Prius v two's steering wheel buttons and the Pioneer AppRadio 3?
    I've seen their installation guide.
    However, it does not specify the Pioneer AppRadio 3, just Pioneer.
    I am guessing that the PAC SWI-RC (steering wheel controller) will work with both the Prius v two's steering wheel buttons and the Pioneer AppRadio 3.
    3.) How would you retain the vehicle Multi-Information Display of the stock radio; such as the Vehicle Setup Menu and Fuel Efficiency monitoring capabilities?
    I was thinking of using the GoPoint Technology BT1 (bluetooth OBD-II connector) with the DashCommand IOS app. However, I have the GoPoint Technology BT1 and it almost always requires that you reboot the iPhone before it can connect via bluetooth. I also know that the DashCommand IOS app is an approved app on the Pioneer AppRadio 3.
    However, I don't think this is a very elegant solution. I don't really want to leave the GoPoint Technology BT1 constantly plugged in. It sticks out a bit from under the dash.

I've tried using my iPhone for navigation and it is not the same as having it in the dash. To me, mounting the iPhone to the windshield (or high enough to where I can see it) reduces my visibility. After driving this way for a couple months, I realize that I should have just purchased the Prius v five. When I purchased my other Prius, I didn't make that mistake again. I bought one with navigation (Prius Persona SE) and it's great.

2. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Or you could do something else .... like mount your iPhone on the dash so it would not be so high and/or mount a portable GPS on the dash. IMO the worst place to mount a phone or GPS mount is on the windshield with vent mounts being almost as bad. Here is a thread that shows my wife's iPhone in an inexpensive iOttie holder: iOttie Easy Flex 2 phone holder | PriusChat

And/or you could mount a portable GPS to an adhesive disk mounted to the dash or to a dash mounted bracket - even wire it into the accessory circuit so it would turn on and off with your ignition. I've got an inexpensive Garmin GPS mounted on a dash mounted bracket in one of our cars and hardwired into the accessory circuit and it is far easier to use than the nav in our Prius v Five - plus the Garmin gets four free updates per your and can receive information wirelessly from my Android phone.

Here is another threat about how I essentially emulate Entune on my Android phone: Entune emulation with iBOLT Dock n Drive for Android phones | PriusChat It works much like the Entune built-into the nav on our Prius v Five except it is easier to use.

You don't have to spend much money or replace your radio to get a lot of technology.

3. totsubo

totsubo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've purchased three different mounts and find the Ram mount the best. However, in my opinion, nothing beats having it in the head unit location.

4. totsubo

totsubo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is one of the mounts I made. It sits in the cup holder location. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374114665.722892.jpg

5. totsubo

totsubo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    These are my current mounting solutions:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374156125.032704.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374156173.359089.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374156187.303322.jpg