1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP Reliability

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pineprius, May 31, 2013.

1. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We have owned our PIP since 3/15/12 with 16K miles and Leviton Level 2 EVSE. So far no failures or quality issues with the specific PIP systems for charging, and driving. Has anyone reported true failures or warranty work on the charging system or anything related to the entire electrical/drivetrain system??

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Based on my forum reading since Jan 2013, none. If there were, it would be a definite major topic of interest. Long term, we'll have to wait and see. Most PIPs are less than a year old.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing here, practically perfect in every way!:p

4. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Same here nothing, practically perfect in every way. :D

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Compared to what I read on the Volt and CMAX forums, the PIP is the most reliable plug in available. Not surprising given the Prius platform reliability.

retired4999 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting. if you listened to the few trolls here, you'd think they were all bulletproof.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not as bad as it first appears when looking at the specific forums but still. There are a lot of little issues like seals, sensors and connections that make you question the long term reliability.

Problems/Issues, Driver Warnings or DTCs -Chevy Volt

8. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Totally reliable thus far. Almost a perfect car.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Checking online for reliability information is a double-edge sword. People are far more likely to seek out a forum if they have a problem than an owner who is quite pleased with their purchase. Then sometimes, they are embarrassed by their observation actually being a misunderstanding, leading to the posts taking an unproductive turn or just abruptly coming to an end. We have encounters with people claiming to be owners in distress actually being someone wanting to stir trouble. The key is to look for detail and watch for patterns.

In my particular case, I've been driving Prius for almost 13 years. Despite all that, there still isn't much to say about reliability. It works. I haven't had any problems. So, my comments about reliability are quite brief.

ewxlt66 and retired4999 like this.
  10. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Since the Volt is a totally new car not surprising that there are a few more issues. But at true-delta it is the lowest service rate (highest quality) of any GM product ;-) Many of the early owners, like me with a 2011, may have had less issues as the first year the production speed was lower and Q&A may have been higher. Same may be true for first year PiPs.

Keep in mind that many of the post about Volt in that thread are not true quality issues owner issues with externalities like DTCs that are caused by using poor power for charginging or problems with commercial L2 chargers (the Volt is a bit finicky about its power). Others include DTC from accidents, water damage etc, or not understanding how the vehicle actually works or what the beeps or other user feed back means. (Just like the many Pip complaints about battery and temp.. but most are not real issues)

Going for quantitative data, JD Power result give the 2012 Volt 4.5 power circle points overall 4 for predicted reliability. The 2011 Volt earned an overall 5 point rating from JD Power, but its plausible that the first year of production they went slower and did a better Q&A process and that first year buyers are just more postive,

The 2012 Prius JD power rating overall was 4 power circle points and 4 for reliability. I guess there is not sufficient data for rating the PiP yet, as it has only 4 power circle predicted reliability (which is the same prediction for 2013 volt) and no overall rating.

The C-MAX is also in the 4-power circle points with only predicted reliability.

TrueDelta puts the servie rate for the 2012 Volt at 13 visits per 100 cars per year, though that includes some "battery tunnel" customer services enhancements, and "missing air filters" (The car does not come with one standard but some people think it should as it as a canister..) True delta does not track the Plug-in-Prius separately. The service rate for the Prius V is also 13 visits per 100 cars per year. The 2011 Prius was also 13, though the 2012 is currently listed at 5 visits per 100 per year, so better than the V or the Volt.

PiP reliability seems to be keeping up the Prius tradition of excellent quality.

F8L likes this.
  11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No problems here, let's hum, hum, hum, hum, let's hum. :p

12. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    As does the 2012 Prius C, with zero visits!

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I feel bad for the guy that has to sell extended warranties for a living. I guess they can go work for Honda though ;-). (FYI, I owned 6 Hondas, but quality has gone way down.)

15. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Our last 4 Hondas have been nearly trouble free. Our last 2 Toyotas not so much. Our 2006 Corolla has been so expensive to maintain that I almost swore off Toyotas for good. The Prius Plug-in was a Hobson's Choice. I have my fingers crossed.

16. Bonefish Blues

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    My filler cap failed to open the first time I went to a filling station, which was embarassing...I mean, I know it's an eco car, but there are more sophisticated ways to reduce consumption, surely?

Other than that, fine in the c13K miles I've driven.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so how did you open it?

18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The manual release inside the left rear?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, the door. i thought he meant the cap.:rolleyes:

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be the cap, but more often than not, the door solenoid is what fails.