1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP Spare Tire Stowage

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Alyn99, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Alyn99

Alyn99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For anyone who cares (and probably no one will) I solved my spare tire dilemma for the PIP. Am going on a 3000 mile road trip from L.A. to Montana and then to Canada and back. Will be in the boonies a lot of the time and didn't want to rely on Toyota assistance or a 'mini' spare so I hunted around Craigslist and found a newish 195/65 r15 Michelin tire and a newish Gen 3 alloy rim for 50, mounted and balanced for 10, so for 60 bucks had an almost new full size spare that I could mount in 10 minutes (the PIP jack under the driver's seat works great!) and travel on for thousands of miles if desired. Problem was when I put the spare in the back I really noticed the ride/ handling difference (I will be traveling alone). So I bagged the spare and placed it vertical behind the passenger seat, then slid the passenger seat back to hold it tight. It fits perfectly and balance/handling & ride is much better. The PIP really doesn't love a lot of weight in the trunk as the battery is heavier than stock. If you're traveling with 4 or more of course this won't work, but when traveling 3 or less it's a great solve, plus the 4th/5th seat is still available for storage.

BTW: Does any vendor make a tight fitting, round vinyl case for this specific tire size, kind of like Land Rover did for their Discoverys?

Attached Files:

#1 Alyn99, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Hi Burrito! likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done! have not seen a case, but someone here sewed up there own. have a great trip!!!(y)

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I do the same with the full size spar for my Prius"v."

The cover from Amazon works great.

4. Alyn99

Alyn99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the tip. Didn't even think about trying Amazon. Duh. I ended up buying these by Porsche.

More money because there are 4 but I needed them by Tuesday and Amazon Prime gives me free shipping. These will work better for me as they cover BOTH sides of the tire so it won't rub the "Softex" I just overpaid $4k for, and it's a nice match for the interior. If I don't use the other 3 I'll put 'em up here for like $15 a piece or maybe just keep them if I ever buy a set of winter tires.

To Danny C: You should really convince a Vendor to make a single version of something like the above in high quality, color coordinated to the PIP for a stock 195/65 r15 tire/rim combo. I am sure you will sell a lot. My tire diameter is 25"

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wish someone made one for the donut.:(

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    They do...make a smaller size...

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you!(y)

Mike500 likes this.
  8. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Amazon
    Classic Accessories 80-089-151001-00 OverDrive Custom Fit Spare Tire Cover, Grey, 24" - 25"

rogerv likes this.
  9. elife

elife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did the same thing but I put my full size spare behind the drivers seat and then fold down the rear, drivers side passenger seat back. Snug as a little rubber bug. I am 5' 8" and my seat goes back just enough to keep it snug. Never rolls. The tire rack cover has nice handles to pull that heavy suck out. Only do this for longer travel events. Works great and provides peace of mind. I went "all in" and had the Toyota dealer order base rim and new full size tire. Total (tire + rim + cover) was about $275. To me worth it. They brought me back to the bays and showed how it fit perfectly etc. When not traveling long distances I store in the garage.

Rob

Attached Files:

Hi Burrito! likes this.
  10. Alyn99

Alyn99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ended up getting the 24-25" Cover suggested above:

The 25 1/2-26 1/2" is too big. This one fits the stock wheel/rim perfect and snug, Color is a nice match too.

Attached Files:

rogerv likes this.
  11. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the link. I just ordered one for my full size spare. I carry mine strapped down in the cargo area.

Update: it just arrived, and fits like OJ's glove- meaning it took some doing to get it on. It is the proper size, according to the chart on the box. Might be easier if the tire is mounted on the back of a van or motor home, but mine was loose for the installation. Anyway, reasonable price, appears to be well made, and looks neater in the cargo area than a couple of old towels thrown over the tire. :p

#11 rogerv, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  12. ultraturtle

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Recommend you secure the spare in case of a worst case event like a collision. After all, the rest of the car is built to protect you from such an event, so there is little to justify an unsecured heavy projectile needlessly hurtling toward your head when it can be prevented. See the post second from the bottom on previous thread for a suggestion: No spare tire? | Page 9 | PriusChat

kenmce likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pics!!!

i keep mine on the right side, against the rear seat. is it possible to secure it there? i suppose the seat will keep it from flying forward.(n)

#13 bisco, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014
  14. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just use the tie downs in the hatch area. Does take some of the cargo space but for me I can live with that.

15. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    I use a full sized cover for my doughnut. Sod's law states that the punctured, full size tyre will be wet and filthy and I will have a boot of things that would not appreciate that, so the full sized bag would keep everything clean.

DadofHedgehog and bisco like this.
  16. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ever prudent driver should have at least two or three large contractor trash bags and a small blue tarp, anyway.

The trash bags can carry the dirty wheel or can also be used for an emergency rain poncho.

The blue tarp can be used for changing the tire on muddy ground.

Blue is the only color not found anywhere in nature and can save your life, if you are lost, since it can be spotted in an emergency.

The used muddy tarp and the tools, as well, could go into the contractor's trash bag.

bisco and ftl like this.
  17. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think I have all that stuff in my Fall-Out shelter, I'll go check.

18. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hopefully the rescuers will still follow the wheel tracks... :D

Field_of_blue_flowers_Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg

bilbo04096 and CaliforniaBear like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How little it takes to send us thundering off in a new direction.

sunrise-earth-from-space_reduced.jpg

ftl likes this.
  20. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    See the first line in my post to which you replied. I use the factory-supplied tie down strap. I agree, you don't want heavy objects floating around the cabin in case of misadventure. My donut spare, tied down the same way, stayed put when an 18 wheeler pushed my car sideways for 200 feet down the freeway. That's how I came to have a full size spare, as the wheel was cosmetically damaged.