1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-In Supply DIY

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by PriusDIY, Mar 15, 2012.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good Luck!

SteveWlf likes this.
  2. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a bold statement!!!!

3. SynEco@eVehicle.co.nz

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you give an overview of your RX400h conversion experience ?
    Any Photos of the process ?
    Thks :)

lopezjm2001 likes this.
  4. Spydar

Spydar New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure can just haven't gotten around to taking picture just yet but Will and post shortly :)

It's still A work in Progress A set of AMP20ah A123 pouch cells will be installed behind the calb cells, The JLD404 battery monitor needs to be secured into the dash permanetly yet. An EV switch from simga has been order and is on it's way. I will alson install an Android touch pannel so that I can get more detailed information on what is going on.

Rob did send me the wrong front control board I emailed him on a saturday he got back to me withing 20 minutes and had the right board in the mail that monday morning not bad service.

I am getting an occasional check engine light throwing it into Limp mode which essentially just kills the ICE engine :) this is probably due to where I ran the high voltage wiring and it is interfering with the canbus messaging, I will reroute it shortly and add emi shielding, the batteries are directly above the AWD Inverter and so the battery needs to be grounded to prevent EMI interference.

Attached Files:

5. SynEco@eVehicle.co.nz

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems like a large pack ? 108S cells? A/hrs of CALB ?
    Where does it attach to the OEM pack ?

This uses contactor method and SOC drift to achieve usage of the new pack ??

Do SIGMA have a specific EV switch for he RX400h or is it the PRIUS 2004-08 EV switch you have on order?

6. Spydar

Spydar New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes 108 series cells, it is a large vehicle at 4500 lbs it would take 450 wh/mile to move in pure EV
    at 40 ah cells and 345 volt nominal that is only 13,800 watts or 30 miles my commute is 53 hence the need for 60 ah pack. Actually I would like to go to 80ah but that would require a suspension upgrade being that it would be about 700 lbs of battery and you can already feel the weight from this pack because it is up so high above the rear axle. Need to get it down lower

Yes again for contractor and SOC drift

It's the Prius switch someone else on here already outlined how to install it presumably it is exactly the same as the prius

7. Iget100mpg

Iget100mpg EV/PHEV Converter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sent kiettyyyy a few PMs but still no response. Said he had them though. Just needed to know the version number of the front board.

8. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just got Robb to "except" my order and he is shipping the front control and wiring portion this week. Didn't have the BMS board so I only paid him for what he assured me he was shipping.
    (kinda "suck'y" that he back charged for the PayPal fees. Doesn't take Visa!) Well at least there is some consumer protection through PayPal.
    I will not and report on the controller version(s). If this goes ok, I will order the ECM board with the BMS and battery stuff.
    Gonna order my batteries and charger myself since I can use the ole Visa and prefer to deal with the vendor directly for reasons previously discussed.

Now, off the edge of my seat and holding my breath!

Steve

lopezjm2001 likes this.
  9. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update on Florida PHEV-200. 622 miles @ 91.2 mpg so far. 74 out of 76 cells good, 2 dead and bypassed. Still 4/10 showing on gas gauge. Almost 10 gallons for the fill up on Feb. 15th. Made a 32 mile round trip today and PHEV went into normal Prius Hybrid mode after 20 miles. Can't wait to get these cells transferred to the new Plug in Supply boxes and get back to the full compliment of 76 cells again. It is now exactly 2 years today since we took delivery of our Prius from autobeyours.com complete with this 10kw supply. PHEV-200.jpeg PHEV-200 (2).jpeg

10. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As promised, two packages arrived today from Robb at Plug In Supply... one by FedEx (the battery boxes) and one by USPS,(all connectors for the upgrade for my 2 year old 10kw Plug In Supply power unit). I will start disassembly when it stops raining and proceed with the modification. I also ordered 4 replacement 40 amp cells and they will be shipped out either today or tomorrow. Pictures will follow.
    Pat. wa4eqw

lopezjm2001 likes this.
  11. PriusDIY

PriusDIY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the pics Pat, you're legit to me (welcome to PC BTW) and I appreciate you chiming in here. Any further pics/info is all the better as we can all see many members have been closely following this thread. I think with Enginer out of the picture this type of kit will become more popular, despite the higher cost.

Steve, I'm excited to hear your story unfold here :) I think everyone really enjoyed hearing Frog's story. If you create a new install thread I'd certainly love to follow that!

12. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks to all.
    I had to discontinue the gas consumption report but it finished just a little over 700 miles with 3/10 of a tank still showing and 90.4 mpg. Then the dismantling operation started on the pack for the new update into the new PIS 10kw containers. The pack has now been made safe and is now just a container with 73 3.2 volt cells, 2 dead cells and one 3.1 volt cell. Will be having consultation with Robb to clarify assembly questions that I may have. I have had advise from imwoody on old battery box removal, and also consultation with Dimitri at Clean Power Auto to find out what voltage the red led is activated on his designed BMS mini boards so that I can manually balance the new pack. The two photo's show me making the pack safe (I don't usually work with 2 hands at high voltage but this part of the pack was now low voltage). The replacement batteries are on the UPS truck and should arrive here next Friday.
    Pat. wa4eqw
    Almost Safe.JPG BMS Boards.JPG

Flying White Dutchman likes this.
  13. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Pat, looks to be a VERY interesting project. May I strongly suggest that you start a separate thread to document this, so your project doesn't get 'lost' in the rest of the posts in this thread?

And good luck to you!!!

14. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pat, looks to be a VERY interesting project. May I strongly suggest that you start a separate thread to document this, so your project doesn't get 'lost' in the rest of the posts in this thread?

And good luck to you!!!

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/plug-in-supply-diy.105157/page-19#ixzz2PoOZqRNs Thanks MFJ Frog.. Well, I'm really not sure that would be the thing to do since it is a DIY project and I only started posting on #17 of this thread. I wouldn't mind and thanks for the suggestion.
    Pat wa4eqw

15. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess I could start a new thread and call it "Florida PHEV-200 Upgrade" if there is any interest in this, suggestions on how to start would be welcome.
    Pat. wa4eqw

lopezjm2001 likes this.
  16. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I think, just start the new thread and copy/paste the contents of your posts above into your first post. Easiest way to get everything is to do a reply to each post and copy/paste everything that shows up in the edit box...don't actually save the reply though. ;)

17. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  18. boone

boone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now have our 10kWh PIS DIY installed (by my nephew). Can anyone tell me if the ScangaugeII with Xguage will monitor & report on the PIS add-on pack SOC, or just the stock traction battery SOC? If it does the former, that would be incredibly useful info to have. And if Scangauge can't do it, anyone know of any other means to monitor the add-on pack? Thanks.

19. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the ScangaugeII does not track the PIS battery pack SOC. But you can get this device at this link My Duinomite Mega Canview V4 equivalent Project | PriusChat
    and build it if you are technically proficient. I have been using a Duinomite Mega for a while and it keeps a good accurate measurement of my PHEV battery pack amp hours (AH). Basically it adds the amps over time to calculate the AH using the current reported by the Prius. Same way the Canview does as shown here BMS+ ECU screens

20. boone

boone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow. Talk about "incredibly useful info". I will get a tech proficient friend to help me do this. Thanks much!

Edit - Another question - would this fully replace the Scangauge, or are there functions the SG provides that this would not? And can they both be connected (through OBDII, right?) at the same time. As that's also where the PIS system connects, how does that work - a triple daisy chain?