1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Point of oil catch can?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kehyler, May 1, 2019.

1. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    He's a member here that wanted actual data, scientific data, real data & did I forget to mention- DATA? Data of the long term cleaning benefits of the EGR circuit. I referred him to the main oil catch can thread because he had questions that literally were covered many times but he only looked at the first few pages of photos and concluded there wasn't enough "data." Then proceeded with an Italian tune up to clear out the EGR and the removal cleaning method wasnt productive.

Also see post #40 and see my signature.

#41 Grit, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    m.wynn, RMB and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Didn't he want the broomstick of the witch of the West, too?

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Based in the KC area, he’s close to the fictitious Dorothy:p.

#43 Raytheeagle, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If exhaust were coming out of the cooler that hot, the EGR passages in the plastic manifold would melt, methinks.

5. spiralhelix

spiralhelix Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OOOOOOOH . HAHAHAHAHAHA. I'd be remiss if i said I didn't want/like data. But in this case it would be the opposite. I'm whole heartedly convinced the EGR clog is causing all this mayhem, and I jumped on board with both feet. My "jury is still out" is more in reference to the fact that we have a working theory, but no scientific procedure to prove it, even though I'm convinced the theory is correct. Anecdotal evidence is still evidence!

When Lexus wrote up their report on our engine, they blamed our problems on "inferior" spark plugs, "inferior" ignition coils, and a leaking valve cover gasket. I was pissed as I didn't just buy the cheapest stuff from the store (though, I always do question how one determines "High quality" from "Low Quality"). They recommended using Platinum plugs and not Iridium. Really?? Platinum are BETTER than Iridiums??? My response..."If you are gonna say the product used is inferior, you had better have some solid research to back that up!" They rescinded their comments.

The Critic likes this.
  6. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Was that Lexus corporate, or a Lexus dealership?

7. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Trying to decide whether to add an OCC for my 2012 Prius, but I am still hesitate after reading so many discussions. Judging from NutzAboutBolts's video (
    ) and Mendel Leisk's report (Point of oil catch can? | Page 2 | PriusChat), an OCC collects about 2 oz oil between oil change for a properly maintained Prius. This is less than 0.1 quart of extra oil burning between OCI. Does this justify the effort to add an OCC? Please share your comments.

8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mine collects significantly more than that.

9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    External factors like the environment also play a part in what the catch can collects;).

Since you are in a similar geographic region, here's what the catch can caught on our 2019 Prime:):

What did you do to your Prime today?

Since our Prime is at 67%EV, that's the amount it caught for running ~3300 miles:cool:.

I'd say add the catch can and avoid sending non-compressibles back around(y).

10. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, Raytheeagle. Looking at your photo, I estimate the OCC collected about 1.5 oz oil+water mixture. Considering your 67% EV (I assume your 3300 miles come from 10,000 / 3), an OCC will collect about 4.5 Oz oil+water for a 100% ICE drive in 10,000 miles. For a 5000 miles OCI, it probably will be about 2 oz, in line with NutzAboutBolts and Mendel Leisk's results. Does that sound about right?

#50 PriusII&C, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wonder if you could share more information (amount, OCI, model, year, and mileage)?

12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds about right;).

But as conditions change, more or less will get caught :).

Key is to have the can in line so it prevents the spooge from traveling further(y).

PriusII&C likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Realistically, you'll reduce it. I've got a pair of moroso air-oil separators in-line, and the second one has caught more. Mostly water though, just a little oil; the first can was about half-and-half oil/water.

14. Tekken

Tekken Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By using 2 OCC, don't they adding more air resistance and more air pressure in the engine? PCV decide to release air pressure from crankcase, but for long term run, higher air pressure will do any good for engine?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It might, though I’ve not noticed any issues. I did actually switch to 1/2” ID hoses in one iteration (when I was still using single can iirc), with all 1/2” fittings. Nothing seemed to faze it though.