1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pop Up Camper

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by debo5, Jan 24, 2013.

1. debo5

debo5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have been wanting to buy a pop up camper / tent camper for many years now. I thought having a prius is going to force me to buy a tow vehicle and the camper. Putting it waaay out of my price range.
    I have been looking into the possibility of pulling one with my prius.

Any input? Suggestions? pictures? Facts? Ideas?

Thank you very much for your help!!
    deborah

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  3. MyToy2

MyToy2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a pop up camper that I've pulled with my motorcycle that is for sale. I don't see why you could not pull something like it with the Prius. I've thought about pulling it with my Prius, but instead bought a Class A camper, so I don't need the pop up anymore. I'd like to sell the pop up if you'd be interested, I can send pictures.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Back in the early 1990's I built VW campervans and we built pop tops that mounted on the roof and the components were made via a plastic injection company, as well as a fiberglass molding person. The idea is to create a false plastic roof and then add some hardware so the roof can be raised/popped up, then add some canvas for when the pop top is up so it's an enclosed space suitable for sleeping in, then cut a hole in your roof and mount it all in a way that maintains structural integrity of your roof, as well as doesn't fly of at freeway speeds (we had a few Toyota Vans that lost their poptop at freeways speed). LOL...

Anyways, the idea is you could sleep up top and tear out the backseats and build a little mini-kitchen, stove, dining table, refrigerator and cabinets and then get a mobile home license and start selling 'em.

I'd be happy to help you with all this, but there's lots of fabrication and injection molding ain't cheap unless you want to buy a hundred poptops at once and start a Prius Camper business!

Here's a link to the company, I used to run their shop: Country Homes Campers: Your California Camper Van Connection

5. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Hybrid Hound

Hybrid Hound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is an update on our experience thus far towing a 1992 Coleman pop-up. I did take out a few things we do not use for camping such as: the original table (heavy!), all the gas stove stuff (we use electric hot plate), and since the contact paper was peeling off the cabinet doors, off they came (they are a pain to keep opening anyway). It now weighs less than 1000 lbs. We try to take only what we really need for 3-5 days of camping with electric and water hookups (State Parks). The back of the Prius at the wing is just above the roofline of the camper. It has no a/c on the roof which helps with drag. I keep it at 60 or below and usually get 38-40 mpg towing. I really take it easy and keep way behind the car ahead (2 to 3 second rule at least). Here are a couple of pics. Might help you to figure out what to do. Of course, YMMV, but we are pleased that it does so well. Almost level when going down the road. Air inserts for the rear are an option, still debating that. The Draw-Tite Hitch and plug&play wiring kit from etrailer were easy to install. Enjoy!! Happy Camping!!

Attached Files:

Jonathan L and San_Carlos_Jeff like this.
  7. Hybrid Hound

Hybrid Hound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Bad...just realized this was in Gen 2 section. Move if needed. Thanks!

8. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's so cool. One of my buddies has a CHC Vanagon.

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good to hear... If you ever have a chance please check out the motorhome certification sticker on the door jam and let me know what serial number the vehicle is and month/year it was built and I'll tell you if it's one of the 80 vans I built when I rand that shop. Thanks!