1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

price for transmission fluid change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by oliver, Dec 4, 2007.

1. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, most here have not had to change the transaxle. However, most here, do believe in changing the transaxle ATF-WS fluid as preventative maintenance to prolong the transaxle's life.

Are you the original owner?
    If not, at what mileage did you buy the car? If you purchased the vehicle at over 100,000miles, it is possible that previous owner(s) performed those two maintenance items.

As for transaxle oil change, read this study to become enlightened:
    Transaxle oil, recent analysis | PriusChat
    If you have data to refute Bob Wilson & Professor Denenberg's study, please post it.

valde3 likes this.
  2. Peter Lipovský

Peter Lipovský Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Our prii did have about 160k when i did be in toyota. They ask 25€ for 1l of toyota ws atf! And labor about 70€! I was hit glass doors when i run out. You must be happy that you are not living in Europe.

3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think none of us wanted to live in Europe any longer.
    Called my dealer last fall to get a price, they wanted to service the transaxle, 175$ labor plus parts, wouldn't just change tyranny fluid.

4. Moegs

Moegs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

5. Moegs

Moegs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I am the original owner, bought it new 12/04. As I said, this car has been unbelievable in its durability. I perform my own oil changes at 4K miles always Mobil 1. The only major expense has been to replace the catalytic converter at 180K miles. Never a brake job either even though I routinely have the brakes checked for pad/lining wear. They are currently at 25% front and 40% rear. Thanks for the link.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ You're really overdue to get the disc brake caliper slide pins checked.

The best time to change the transaxle fluid was around 200,000 miles back. ;)

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You could extend your engine oil change intervals to 10,000miles/12months, since you have been using 100% synthetic oil. There are many posts about the longevity and cleanliness of synthetic oil; a few die hard auto gurus have even paid for engine oil analysis, to confirm that 10,000 mile interval is no problem w/ a Prius. This also assumes you are using an OEM or better quality engine oil filter.

+1 on disc brake caliper pins. You want to make sure those get cleaned and re-lubed; say every two years at the latest. Being how you are still on original pads and shoes, you probably have been relubing the front caliper pins.

If you do read Bob Wilson and Prof Denenberg's study, and incorporate you automotive knowledge, you should come to the realization that the transaxle fluid should be changed too. NO lubricant lasts forever. Transmission fluid is a lubricant just like engine oil; all lubricants break down from use, and need to be changed. Toyota's idea of lifetime will be very different than most consumers, as they are in the business of selling new cars; they want the cars to last just long enough. All things being equal, a transaxle that gets regular ATF-WS fluid changes, will outlast a transaxle that never gets serviced.

For additional knowledge and prespective, read Art's Automotive 30K maintenance article. A lot of compelling points on transaxle fluid, coolant, and brake fluid. Prius 30k Service

It is ultimately your car and wallet, so do as you please.

And yes, most of us here like the Prius b/c it is great on gas, reliable, and insanely low maintenance.

EDIT: Got to post #473 (ATF fluid changes ARE Required. | Page 24 | PriusChat), so you can see what low mileage ATF-WS fluid looks like vs new. Can only imagine how dark, and how much metallic debris is in your fluid.

#27 exstudent, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015