1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime prematurely stops charging

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IABoy987, Oct 7, 2020.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not sure if this problem belongs here or in Prime Charging category.

Up until a few days ago, the car always fully recharged 100%. Now we see random11%, 50%, 70% charge indications as well as display showing something like Charging Stopped rather than Charging Complete.

The charger is a Toyota charger that is controlled by a dedicated 120V line through a mechanical wall timer set for 10PM turn on and 6AM turn off. We have not had any power glitches (our stove and microwave would show PF power failure).

I check that plug is fully inserted, and will manually switch on power to check that charger green OK lamp lights at charging port below plug. Before going to bed, I check that the dashboard blue lamp(s) flashing. In morning lamps are off so assumed 100% charging.

So now great way to burn off gas and blow out engine carbon running in HV mode.

I have an appointment to take car in for diagnosis.

Anyone seen this problem?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Using a mechanical wall timer instead of the scheduler within the car is an unnecessary complexity... and could likely be the cause. It isn't aware of battery status either. I would definitely try that before going in for an appointment.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I second John's suggestion. Just try charging without the mechanical timer between the wall outlet and your EVSE. Maybe something in the mechanical timer is faulting after it heats up. Just set the charge schedule on your car to 6 am departure. It will be charging roughly from 0 am midnight to 5:30am.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, Will give this a try. Now to crack open the manual and see how this is done.;)

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi John and Salamander,
    Leaving the charger on and plugging in car at night seemed to have fixed the problem.
    Only problem is if I need to charge during day I have to get in menu and cancel night charging and set charge now button then undo after charging. Too bad Toyota didn't have some override such as pressing unlatch few times to tell car charge this time only. Oh well I didn't write the software.....
    Thanks for your help.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The easier way to cancel the scheduled charging and "Charge Now" is to just plug in the charger cord to the charge port of the car and un-plug it and then re-plug into the port. This will cancel next scheduled charge event and the cord will start charging immediately.

7. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Salamander. Always learning something new!!

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, they gave us two overrides. One if you know when you shut of the car that you're going to bypass the schedule and one for unexpected charges.

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 4.46.04 PM.png