1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2004/5 queries

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jayw13702, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can someone tell me if I have an issue with my 2004/5 prius.
    When coasting and recharging the hv the battery gauge shows charge right up to 100%, once it gets to 100% the gauge is green and the engine kicks in and is sat at about 2500/3000 rpm, as soon as I put it into neutral the engine stops running, it's as though a fully charged hv battery causes the engine to kick in!!
    My journey to work takes me down two hills every day that cause this to happen
    The other query, I'm not sure if it is related. If I have been driving for a whole, either on battery or ICE and come to a halt I notice the engine is running, this time on idle, if I come to a complete stop and wait for about 15 seconds the engine stops running, I've not noticed this before and it happens no matter what the state of charge on the HV

Being new to hybrid I am possibly a bit paranoid, as time goes on I am getting more and more used to the way it drives and behaves.
    My final question, I have an iPhone, is there an app that will allow me to get real time info via a Bluetooth obd reader?

Thanks

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    going downhill your battery charges to full

if its to full the ICE will run to bleed of some of that charge! thats normal to protect the battery
    do you use B mode?

whats wrong with a ICE that stops running at a stoplight? thats what it is suposed to do!

3. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No I don't use B mode would this make a difference to it charging whilst rolling downhill?

I understand what you mean by the "bleeding off of excess charge" it was a thought that passed through my mind

As for the engine running, maybe I should expand on my original explanation.
    Before I approach a junction I allow the car to coast, sometimes up to 200 yards if I have the speed, I was under the impression that the engine would switch off once the throttle was released, but mine doesn't always appear to do this, it will coast along with the engine running, once I come to a halt the engine is still running.
    It doesn't do it all the time, but it's not caused by specific state of charge either.
    I'm still not sure I have explained it well enough, hopefully it does make more sense now

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there are situations where like you need heatm or the cat converter is in need of more heat the ICE is not warm
    there are condition to be met before the ice will turn off.
    google a bit about the bmode

5. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your help, it puts my mind at rest

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a post about the brakes, as you read it, notice that the engine is a part of one of the braking systems.
    B under the D in the Drive gears? | PriusChat
    The engine cannot shut down completely over 42 MPH.
    I recommend B mode from the top of any hill that fills your HV Battery.
    I never recommend N, as you can see, you are taking away one of your braking systems!