1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2006 296k miles battery charging issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jichi, Oct 7, 2016.

1. jichi

jichi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Few weeks ago start getting this low clicking sound from the front. Then last week start having gas engine running the whole time while driving on the highway trying to charge the battery and on high speed 65 and above barely make 2 purple line . The regenerative braking system charges the battery all the way just before lines in the charging indicator become green. The amazing thing is the noisy diesel engine sound is gone. The whole time I thought the engine making the noise but it look like it was the charging system was making that noise. I took the car to a prius shop at schottsburg indiana they said it might be the gas engine has very low compression which not making enough power to give to the charging system. Then I took to toyota dealer at indianapolis indiana. They check the engine they found it was low in oil which is true and so they blame it on the engine as well. But my car since I bought it always have no oil on the dip stick when I go change the oil. I am suspecting something to do with mg1 or mg2 . I noticed in torque app mg2 gate showing no measurement at all no matter driving breaking or idling. If any one have the custom pids plug in for torque please see what measurement you see for mg2 gate. Thanks

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'd suspect poor maintenance first and possibly a bad battery second.

Codes?

jadziasman likes this.
  3. jichi

jichi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you really think that's the issue, those aren't really serviceable and a transaxle swap is the usual advice. I would suggest swapping both it and the engine as one unit due to your burning oil issues and it's easier too (less labor).

Merkey likes this.
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do your next engine/vehicle a favor and REGULARLY CHECK the engine oil level. Your negligence has contributed to an early engine death.

Please list the engine serial number here, so people know to avoid buying this engine from a salvager.

You do realize the HV Battery is a consumable item. It will require replacement at some point in the future.

6. jichi

jichi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I agree with you I really did not pay attention to the oil problem until the oil change place start telling me that the oil was too low that it does not show in the dip stick . The hv battery is already replaced once with a refurbished one the measurements in torque does not show any bad cells. Thanks for the advice

7. jichi

jichi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think it is better to get another car since I put 100k in 3 years.if I find a good deal I might do it though. Thanks

8. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A