1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2006: Do I have HID or Halogen Headlights?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Friendlyx, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Recently my 2006 had the headlight go on the passenger side. When i tried the high beams, neither side turned them on? I'm guessing I have to swap both? However, i'm wondering do i have the HID or the Halogen headlights? I looked on here and saw if you have fog lights you most likely have the HID. However, when i looked at the website http://www.toyodiy.com with my VIN number i believe it says i have halogen right? Can someone confirm how i can figure it out? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm not familiar with the website http://www.toyodiy.com. Have you set up an account with toyota.com/owners, which should contain the most accurate information about your car since it was created by Toyota itself? The information on that site for our Gen 2 Touring does show that it has HID headlights, which I know to be true because I have changed them.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just take a look at the bulb. If you can't look, listen. Pop the hood and flip the headlights on. You should hear a high pitched scream from the analog ballasts that Toyota used in the 2nd Gen Prius. It will die down after a couple seconds.

MickyMatter likes this.
  4. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm having fog lights without HID headlights but with halogen (European/German 2008 Gen2)
    Take a look from the front through the glass. The bulbs differ.
    The HID is much longer and with this long pin parallel to the glass bulb.
    The H4 (in the US maybe HB2?) is shorter, has only the glass bulb and a black/silver (or whatever blocking color) "cap" in front of it. D2550.jpg PRODUCT-R100035133-Produktbild-JPG-jpg-515Wx515H.jpg

SM-G950F ?

5. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If you have fog lamps you have HID. You have package 6 or 7 (navigation) or 8 (leather and navigation).

Package #6 Includes: Driver and front passenger front seat-mounted side airbags and front and rear side curtain airbags [3], Anti-theft system and auto- dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® [6] universal transceiver, Smart Key System, backup camera [4], Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [5], High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and integrated fog lamps, and JBL® AM/FM 6-disc In-dash CD changer w/9 speakers in seven locations, aux. audio jack, MP3/WMA playback capability and hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [7] wireless technology. (HK)

6. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @Aegean, you're not talking to me but to the OP, right?
    (Because I've already told, that I have original fog lights without HID – and also no auto dimming mirror, backup camera (mine is self installed), JBL and bluetooth)

SM-G950F ?

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm guessing the European models have a different set of features in each package. I believe we have it on good authority that all US models with the factory fog lights also have HID headlamps.

MickyMatter likes this.
  9. Tim Hardaway

Tim Hardaway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey I'm jumping on here because can't figure out how to do a new post. One of my headlamps is going out...gonna replace it but not sure if HID or Halogen. Took a pic, what do you think? Looks halogen to me:

Attached Files:

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That looks like the HID in my Gen2. As I understand, US market Gen2 that have fog lights also have HID.

Also, HID throw very white light, and become erratic (on/off) when they begin to fail. Halogen is more "yellow" light in comparison, and it either works or it's burned out.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tim Hardaway likes this.
  11. Tim Hardaway

Tim Hardaway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks my guy, I appreciate your help. I have the fog lights so I'm going with HID...only thing was my picture I thought more looked like the halogen action. Sorry if dumb question but let's say they're halogen and I buy HID, can I still install them?

12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four