1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 2017 Harness Recall and Malfunctions after doing it

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bilal Al-Khateeb, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Bilal Al-Khateeb

Bilal Al-Khateeb New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately it seems after recall you will have issue with invertor.

Before 10 days the dealer just put the insulation on it which seems simple and easy today while am driving on high way the pre collision system malfunction message appears with the light of 12 Volt Battery i managed to drive it up to 12 km to the nearest repair station after check they found that there is no charge for 12 volt battery from invertor and car needs more troubleshooting.

Did you have any similar cases and what do you think the problem is

Best Regards
    Bilal

2. Mattheww

Mattheww Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I have a 2017 Prius Two Eco and had no issues after having the recall repair performed.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would say the dealer messed up, but i'm not convinced the repair place has it right either

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go back to your dealer. I've read quite a lot of chat about the "recall" - and don't recall any problems. I think they've done something wrong.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Like @alanclarkeau, I also don’t recall any similar reports, but keep in mind that relatively few Prius owners participate in PriusChat. I agree with his kind suggestion to return to the dealer that did the recall repair.

Damage to the wire harness is a possibility, of course, but as I wrote before, I’d think trouble in the wires for connectors C32 and C33, the ones involved in the recall, would be more likely to cause a drivability problem—or a fire, the problem that led to the recall—than a failure to charge the auxiliary (12-volt) battery, but from the limited information in Toyota’s publications, I also can’t rule it out.

In any case, the investigation should begin by using the Health Check function of a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system. This doesn’t do a complete check of the wire harness, but the stored diagnostic trouble codes, together with the information in the Repair Manual (more info), should give some insight.

alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.
  6. Bilal Al-Khateeb

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    @Elektroingenieur @alanclarkeau i send the car back to the dealer they checked the Harness and unfortunately they said there is no issue on it and everything is good i had debate with them and discussion and as per feedback the troubleshooting procedure calls for Inverter cooling cycle check and if they do not allocate the issue i will end up with inverter replacement.

I hope it will not end up with such case for car has only 33,000 Km and this is the first issue i have with it.

will keep you posted with result and i hope this post will have good information for everybody

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I actually went to my dealer twice for the repair. (Once for each side.) I have had no issues. Did they inspect the harness before taping? They are supposed to pull the old tape back and inspect for damage to the harness before re-taping.
    IF they either disturbed a bad harness connection or did not plug it up properly, I could foresee problems. Otherwise, there should have been no issue.

8. Bilal Al-Khateeb

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess they made the required inspection an they claimed that they inspect the harness again (continues check)

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went in twice because original recall was just one side shortly after I got it done they changed it to both sides.

10. Bilal Al-Khateeb

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After one week of struggling that malfunction has been detected in Inverter assembly actually its DC to DC Converter defect, i replaced the Inverter Assembly with used one which cost me around 310 USD + Labor Charges for inspection and replacement at 210 USD.
    for 12 volt battery i installed new one also from BOSCH S3 Battery 45A which is identical in size.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done! (y)

out of warranty?

12. Bilal Al-Khateeb

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yes out of warranty there is no current recall on this model and they denied any responsibility related to their work on Harness.