1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 3 Engine Block heater location

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tom N55, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Tom N55

Tom N55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello!

I live in Wisconsin and I purchased an EBH from the Prius Chat store and went to my dealer to have installed. They looked at me like I was from the Moon! The installation guide here is for a Prius 2 and the location evidently has changed for the Prius 3.

Where can I get information on how to install an EBH for a Prius 3?

Frankly, I am surprised that the part did not come with any information on how to install it.

Tom Nesler

2. Indy John

Indy John Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The location has not changed one iota - same as Gen 2.
    What has changed is a wiring harness solidly in the way of orienting the heater to slide it in the hole.
    I removed the belly pan for access and melted the harness clip with a soldering iron. That provided a little more clearance, but still not enough. I'd guess that Gen 3 requires a from-the-top approach, but I haven't worked up the nerve to remove the wipers, wiper motor, etc.

3. Tom N55

Tom N55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great!...:( Once again, repair is sacrificed for engineering....;) I did find a link describing how to get to a Prius 3 heater location but as you said, it requires taking the cover off the wipers. Here is what I found:
    3rd-gen block heater

They describe removing the clip from the top so yu can access the hole but I am having a problem visuallizing where things are located.

Thanks for the info. I will probably wait for warmer weather to attempt this.

Tom Nesler

Silver Pine Mica likes this.
  4. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The "from the top" approach works but you need to remove the windshield wiper assembly and tray. The removal process is pretty straightforward, but be careful with the lower tray - there are a couple of vertical panels on flimsy hinges that can break easily. [from memory . . . ].

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So after they quit gazing at you did they say something along the lines of "we're not qualified to install a genuine Toyota part"? Did they refuse to do the installation?

Try another dealer, and email Toyota regarding your experience?

It can be done DIY, but I gather it's not a lot of fun. And if you main motivation for doing it DIY is that dealership didn't feel qualified to do it...

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It's a part developed for/by Toyota Canada. No Toyota US service person has any official Toyota US training on it.
    Some northern US dealers may train their techs and get the part from Toyota Canada.

When I ordered Pearl S she didn't have the block heater installed (she was sitting in Courtney B.C. - in the lower mainland B.C. they don't install the block heater, whereas in Alberta you can't get a Prius without the block heater).
    I was very happy when the dealer agreed to not install the block heater once the car got here. That was a saving of $500 (the retail cost of purchasing and installing it here).

It's a pretty useless block heater. At 400W it will bring the engine up perhaps 10C. Not very effective at -20C.
    Then there is the matter of having to know then you're going to go for a drive at least 3-4 hours before.
    Pearl has one, and I used it twice to test if it made any difference. It didn't.

YMMV ;)

mike3161999 likes this.
  7. has been

has been vote for anyone except Trump

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    engine block heater install...you can do it /// 12-01-2012

try the above post for some info
    i also used Tom N55 suggested info
    much easier to do a bit of a reach-around from pass-side of engine with left hand
    find the location, install...it's not that bad
    good luck - have fun